There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The disparity in the coaching staff from offense to defense

Jim Leavitt is an interesting coach with 30 years of experience in college coaching. He built a program at South Florida and was head coach for 12 years. There was an altercation with a player and he was fired. I'm surprised no team has tried to sign him away. No question he could be a Defensive Coordinator, and even a head coach in the league. Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell and Leavitt, the team is stacked with great coaching on the defensive side.
You could probably make the same statement WRT Seattle's offense...fairly vanilla. Big dose of Lynch (and why not), controlled passing game, scrambling QB. On defense they're absolute beasts. Gus Bradley was their DC and is now the Jags' head coach...he seems to know what he's doing. Despite all the rule changes and an infusion of spread/read-option offenses, the two best teams were Seattle and SF, both of whom have stellar defenses. It still wins championships. I'm not really worried or upset with our offense...oh sure, sometimes I scratch my head and think "what the hell is Roman doing", but more than that I see a lack of execution as the biggest reason our O has struggled at times. That starts w/Kap...but I have faith he'll learn from his mistakes...for sure, nobody will outwork him. We do lack real speed on offense, a big reason I hope Baalke drafts a guy like Beckham or Cooks. Really anxious to see Lattimore run...he's got all the tools to be a real beast. Love Gore, but his best running is arguably behind him. Also looking for big things from Patton & Vance McDonald. I get some of you doubt the quality of our offensive coaches, but Harbaugh's staff is envied throughout the league.
Where's Eric Mangini on that list ....
Originally posted by kem99:
Intentionally or not, Roman's credentials seem to be somewhat understated. According to coachingroots.com,

Carolina Panthers

1995-1996 Defensive Quality Control Coach
1997-1998 Offensive Quality Control Coach
1999-2000 Offensive Assistant Coach
2001 Assistant Offensive Line Coach

Houston Texans

2002-2003 TE Coach
2004-2005 QB Coach

Baltimore Ravens

2006-2007 Assistant OL Coach

Stanford

2009 Running Game Coordinator
2010 Assistant Head Coach

And, we know while at Stanford he was part of the OC by committee with Harbaugh and Shaw.

I'm sure there will be those who find fault with the above but lets at least be accurate. Prior to coming to the 49ers, Roman had 13 years of NFL coaching experience.

"Played on the DL at John Carroll for 4 years. First coaching gig was as a defensive quality control coach with Carolina in 1995. Was mostly an offensive line coach throughout his time in the NFL and a running game coordinator at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh before joining the 49ers."

What exactly was understated about what I wrote? Let's see, first coaching gig, 1995, check primarily an OL coach, check, what else were you looking for? That he spent 2008 coaching high school football?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You could probably make the same statement WRT Seattle's offense...fairly vanilla. Big dose of Lynch (and why not), controlled passing game, scrambling QB. On defense they're absolute beasts. Gus Bradley was their DC and is now the Jags' head coach...he seems to know what he's doing. Despite all the rule changes and an infusion of spread/read-option offenses, the two best teams were Seattle and SF, both of whom have stellar defenses. It still wins championships. I'm not really worried or upset with our offense...oh sure, sometimes I scratch my head and think "what the hell is Roman doing", but more than that I see a lack of execution as the biggest reason our O has struggled at times. That starts w/Kap...but I have faith he'll learn from his mistakes...for sure, nobody will outwork him. We do lack real speed on offense, a big reason I hope Baalke drafts a guy like Beckham or Cooks. Really anxious to see Lattimore run...he's got all the tools to be a real beast. Love Gore, but his best running is arguably behind him. Also looking for big things from Patton & Vance McDonald. I get some of you doubt the quality of our offensive coaches, but Harbaugh's staff is envied throughout the league.

Envied, just not enough to hire apparently.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
Good post/

Based on our apparent crap performance in the Red Zone - the assistant coaches with the least experience is a direct reflection of our weakest offensive performance - WR.

WR coaches blow.

The buck stops w/JH. Not all of it is on Roman. JH sees what we do and Roman is still here and that's not an accident. JH, IMO, wants that type of game called.

If we get better receivers will JH open that part of the game??? I'd like to think so since Boldin made a huge difference but he was successful way before he got here and that had zero to do with our WR coaches.

Would JH hire experienced WR coaches who advocate a vertical game?? Would Roman use tier input?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"Played on the DL at John Carroll for 4 years. First coaching gig was as a defensive quality control coach with Carolina in 1995. Was mostly an offensive line coach throughout his time in the NFL and a running game coordinator at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh before joining the 49ers."

What exactly was understated about what I wrote? Let's see, first coaching gig, 1995, check primarily an OL coach, check, what else were you looking for? That he spent 2008 coaching high school football?

Don't be so sensitive, relax...but since you asked...as I said, the description of Roman's coaching career was understated. In Fangio's description, you included that he had coached with the Saints for 8 years...Roman coached in the NFL for 13 years and that didn't come through in your post...Further, of those 13 years, he was directly involved with the OL only 3 years so it isn't really accurate to say that he was an OL coach throughout his NFL career. You also left out the Assistant HC position with Stanford.

If the premise of the entire thread is going to be the inexperience of the offensive coaches relative to the defensive coaches, at a minimum, the coaching history of the Offensive Coordinator should be more fully detailed than how you presented it.
Originally posted by kem99:
Don't be so sensitive, relax...but since you asked...as I said, the description of Roman's coaching career was understated. In Fangio's description, you included that he had coached with the Saints for 8 years...Roman coached in the NFL for 13 years and that didn't come through in your post...Further, of those 13 years, he was directly involved with the OL only 3 years so it isn't really accurate to say that he was an OL coach throughout his NFL career. You also left out the Assistant HC position with Stanford.

If the premise of the entire thread is going to be the inexperience of the offensive coaches relative to the defensive coaches, at a minimum, the coaching history of the Offensive Coordinator should be more fully detailed than how you presented it.

Fangio was known for his time with the Saints, coaching the Dome Patrol, even to this day that's one of the things he's most known for. But here, I'll oblige you.

Roman was a defensive quality control coach for 1 year, offensive quality control coach for 3 years, an offensive line coach for 3 years, a quarterbacks coach for one year and a tight end coach for two years, he was a high-school coach in New Jersey for 1 year and the running game coordinator/assistant head coach at Stanford for 2 years before he came to the 49ers.

He coached in the NFL for a total of 10 years prior to coming to the 49ers, mostly as an offensive line coach and an offensive quality control coach.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]
we were 1 play away from being in our 2nd super bowl in a row. we'll be fine with the coaches we have
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
we were 1 play away from being in our 2nd super bowl in a row. we'll be fine with the coaches we have

And 1 play away from winning in the first Superbowl......I see a pattern here.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:

And 1 play away from winning in the first Superbowl......I see a pattern here.

I don't know about you Phoenix but my goal every year is to lose the NFCCG or SB in dramatic fashion. 1 play away ever year right. I have said before there isn't a defensive coach I would change all of them are top notch. I'm happy with them all. As for the offense minus Rathman there isn't one I'd be upset about losing. I'd like to upgrade them but it's hard to do. I'm not saying Roman, Solari are bad they are solid but they don't get the most out of what they have. They don't develop guys. Only one who has developed is Boone and I'd put that on him more than the coaches. He had a life change. Anyways, it would be a risk trying to upgrade them being as close as we are. Maybe it takes us backwards but maybe it's what we need to go over the top. I don't think any get fired Harbaugh is too loyal. Just have to hope Harbaugh demands more out of the passing game if it means taking over the passing game or calling more plays.

RishikeshA, I agree I'm surprised no college team scooped up Leavitt to turn around their program. He built South Florida out of a trailer house to as high as a #2 ranking and top 25 or so team for many years. He had a .625 win percentage there. I think the scandal really hurt his chances. He is intense but he doesn't seem like he would do it. Maybe he lost it, maybe the player had it coming but seems like that killed his chances of being a head coach again. That's ok I'll gladly take him as our LB coach until he wants to retire.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Well, there is an obvious disparity in our coaching for receivers/tight ends and our other coaches in terms of experience and reputation.

Even when we had WR guru Sullivan here, our WRs sucked
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am not sure the extent that a player's career can be linked to the coaching staff.

Crabtree has played two full seasons under the current coaching staff.

Prior to the arrival of the current staff, Crabtree best year was 2010.
In 2010, Crabtree had 55 receptions for 741 yards, and 6 scores in 16 games. He had 56.8 yards a game.
In 2009, he had 48 receptions for 625 yards, and two scores in 11 games. He had 46.3 yards a game.

The current coaching staff arrived in 2011.

In 2011, he had 72 receptions for 874 yards, and 4 scores. He had 58.3 yards a game.
In 2012, he had 85 receptions for 1,105 yards and 9 scores. He had 69.1 yards a game.
In 2013, he had 19 receptions for 284 and 1 score in 5 games.
He had 56.8 yards a game, which still equaled his best prior to the arrival of the current coaching staff.
It appears that Crabtree has improved his game each year with the current coaching staff.

To what degree should the coaching staff be credited with Crabtree's improvement and to what degree should Crabtree be given credit for his improvement.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:15 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Fangio has done a good job, but before this year many seemed to have doubts about him.

Things really do change.

Fangio's Defensive History:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174793-fangios-defensive-history/search=Fangio

Vic Fangio's second year defenses and beyond

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/164960-vic-fangios-second-year-defenses-beyond/search=Fangio

I wish Harbaugh had brought Shaw with him.