There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One starter that could get cut no one´s talking about

Originally posted by reasonable1:
First off let me say, Ray Mac is one of the most underrated defensive players in football. he will not be cut.

However...

I am literally laughing my ass off at those who say Jerod-Eddie was OK or "nothing special". That guy got progressively better as the season wore on, and I would venture to say he was downright dominant at times while he was in there. He has the size, quickness and strength that teams covet at the 3-4 DE spot, we groomed him from the PS to the active roster and he fits the defensive perfectly. TJE was absolutely the most pleasant surprise on the defense outside of Eric Reid.

TJE was on fire late in the season.

We have about three UFA's on the DL that have developed into players.
Originally posted by crabman82:
williams, dial and lemonier have zero impact on mcdonalds roster spot. on top of that i dont think TJE proving to be a solid rotational player puts mcdonald in jeopardy.

Exactly.

TJE had a solid year as a guy who rotates in for short bursts of production, but you cant just get rid of McDonald, who had a great year btw, for a question mark. Our depth at that position is just too weak in the experience dept.

McDonald's job is very safe.
First off let me say, Ray Mac is one of the most underrated defensive players in football. he will not be cut.

However...

I am literally laughing my ass off at those who say Jerod-Eddie was OK or "nothing special". That guy got progressively better as the season wore on, and I would venture to say he was downright dominant at times while he was in there. He has the size, quickness and strength that teams covet at the 3-4 DE spot, we groomed him from the PS to the active roster and he fits the defensive perfectly. TJE was absolutely the most pleasant surprise on the defense outside of Eric Reid.

Im not saying he didnt show some promise, but saying he was "downright dominant at times" is a major stretch.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:08 AM ]
One way to look at this is--the niners have been one of the best run stopping D's in the NFL the past few years and McDonald has been the second best DLman on the team over those years. Does it make to say he is valuable? Yes, and those who think you can plug and play anyone into that spot are just not realistic. If it were, the NFL would cut every veteran every year and replace them with cheap rookies. That said, I see NT as a bigger problem than DT. Williams and Dorsey seem more like DTs or DEs than NTs. They did well this year but there was very little push up the middle unless it came from J Smith or McDonald stunting.
Originally posted by Niners99:

However...

Im not saying he didnt show some promise, but saying he was "downright dominant at times" is a major stretch.

This figure is cumulative, and does not demonstrate consistency nor improvement through the year. He clearly started the year worse then he finished. Quoting cumulative year stats to refute a statement about his play at the end of the year is meaningless, IMO.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

However...

This figure is cumulative, and does not demonstrate consistency nor improvement through the year. He clearly started the year worse then he finished. Quoting cumulative year stats to refute a statement about his play at the end of the year is meaningless, IMO.

Is there a game by game chart? That would be interesting.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

However...

Is there a game by game chart? That would be interesting.

Its cumulative, but if you were above average or below average for the time you did play, you get that credit. Lemonier played 100 less snaps than TJE, but had a better total.

Think of the totals as a score for the season based on what you did in the time you got. Dan Skuta only got 300 snaps, but he was fantastic when he was in there.

Its cumulative, but if you were above average or below average for the time you did play, you get that credit. Lemonier played 100 less snaps than TJE, but had a better total.

Think of the totals as a score for the season based on what you did in the time you got. Dan Skuta only got 300 snaps, but he was fantastic when he was in there.

Thanks...not quite sure I get this but...will mull it over! LOL!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Thanks...not quite sure I get this but...will mull it over! LOL!

PFF scouts every play of every game. They grade each play based on how well that player executed. If he was just average, its a 0. You accumulate a positive or negative game score, and then a season total to show how much above or below average you were overall.

Its not a science, since they cant factor in who played hurt, or know exactly what a players designated assignment was on every play, etc, but its the best grading system out there to determine the total value of a player, taking in all factors. Major sports sites and writers use it, and even NFL agents use it as a reference for contract talks.
Ray Mac's not going anywhere...with TJE's development he can get the rest he needs to stay strong. Same w/Carradine, he'll help Justin Smith stay fresh. Baalke could draft a DL who can play LDE/DT...never a bad investment for the future. That said, Dorsey has played DE for the Chiefs, so has versatility. With Ian Williams coming back, he and Dorsey should form quite a NT tandem. It's all about quality depth, and our DL has it now, better than in quite a few years. As for Ray Mac, his production can thrive by getting rest when he needs it.
Ray Mac will be here for a while.

Having a solid rotation will help every guy on the Dline.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
He'll be extended and restructured before cut.
But 5 mil isn't a huge deal
They might ask him to do it to keep the nucleus together

this is what I think, I believe AB (who I still think is Paarage) has mentioned him as a potential restructure/extension candidate to free up some cap space to extend the big 4 upcoming FAs (Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati).

Ray has a ton left in the tank and is a valuable player, I think JS will retire in 2 more years, 3 max, I like Tank as his replacement but he's not a given, we need to see what he has before we anoint him the next Justin Smith.
Originally posted by buck:
Apparently Tomsula and Fangio saw something special in Ian Williams--and they do see the players much more than we do.

The extended his contract and made him the starting nose tackle.

He signed a short term (two year) relatively small contract extension with less than $700,000 in guaranteed money for a 3-4 D team that had a grand total of ZERO NTs at the time (after losing Ice and RJF, before the Dorsey signing).
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Huh?

We've played 104 games in the past 6 seasons, of which he's played in 100 while almost never getting breathers in 2011 and 2012 and he plays 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT which is just about as physically taxing as football gets.

Huh?

Thank you!

It seems like anyone that has ever got hurt (in the NFL? NO WAY?) in their career will have "injury issues" to someone. Always been that way for some reason.
PFF scouts every play of every game. They grade each play based on how well that player executed. If he was just average, its a 0. You accumulate a positive or negative game score, and then a season total to show how much above or below average you were overall.

Its not a science, since they cant factor in who played hurt, or know exactly what a players designated assignment was on every play, etc, but its the best grading system out there to determine the total value of a player, taking in all factors. Major sports sites and writers use it, and even NFL agents use it as a reference for contract talks.

Thanks again...saved me some time!