There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth - and I Don't Mean Gore

Originally posted by thl408:
Thanks for posting that. I guess I fell for that trap of having the last game of the season define his entire season. He struggles with speed rushers, but that is true for many RTs. He can use some improvement in foot speed that is for sure.

It's all good, man. I fell for the same trap directly after the loss. AD is a good player who had a bad game. Like you mentioned, AD struggles with speed rushers, but so do many RTs. Does anyone really excel against speed rushers for that matter? Staley is one of the most athletic, nimble OTs in the league and even he's had issues with the speed rushers at times.

On this play, it looks like AD initially is preparing to pick up Bennett. Bennett starts his rush toward AD, before spinning back toward Boone. That subtle move was enough to delay AD from turning to face Avril, throwing off his balance. That's why Avril had such an easy time driving him back into the pocket. It's a mental error by AD, as he needs to trust that Boone will pick up Bennett, and his priority should be the outside rusher.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Thanks for posting that. I guess I fell for that trap of having the last game of the season define his entire season. He struggles with speed rushers, but that is true for many RTs. He can use some improvement in foot speed that is for sure.

It's all good, man. I fell for the same trap directly after the loss. AD is a good player who had a bad game. Like you mentioned, AD struggles with speed rushers, but so do many RTs. Does anyone really excel against speed rushers for that matter? Staley is one of the most athletic, nimble OTs in the league and even he's had issues with the speed rushers at times.

On this play, it looks like AD initially is preparing to pick up Bennett. Bennett starts his rush toward AD, before spinning back toward Boone. That subtle move was enough to delay AD from turning to face Avril, throwing off his balance. That's why Avril had such an easy time driving him back into the pocket. It's a mental error by AD, as he needs to trust that Boone will pick up Bennett, and his priority should be the outside rusher.

Joe Staley is dancing gangnam style, thats all I see
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Joe Staley is dancing gangnam style, thats all I see

Hahahaha. That's a very astute observation.

Holy smokes. THAT'S why ADavis was slow laterally in getting out to block Avril. He took one false step thinking he was going to block Bennet (DT). The many times I've watched that gif and now that you pointed that out I see it. Some posters were talking about the SEA line stunting and it didn't occur to me what they were exactly talking about on this play. Yeah usually the RTs are the big bodied run blockers and ADavis is no different.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

Holy smokes. THAT'S why ADavis was slow laterally in getting out to block Avril. He took one false step thinking he was going to block Bennet (DT). The many times I've watched that gif and now that you pointed that out I see it. Some posters were talking about the SEA line stunting and it didn't occur to me what they were exactly talking about on this play. Yeah usually the RTs are the big bodied run blockers and ADavis is no different.

i know hindsight is 20/20 but Staley looks awful lonely over there I wonder if Kaep could have cut that way and ran

i know hindsight is 20/20 but Staley looks awful lonely over there I wonder if Kaep could have cut that way and ran

He could have thrown that way to Quinton Patton.

SEA had two spies in that play, both DL on that side if the formation. That's why Staley and Snyder were doing Gangnam style.
The protection wasn't great but it was adequate on that play, Kaep should have stepped up and made a different read or took off running. He heard footsteps, got nervous and made the wrong read. Seattles D sped him up on purpose and he didn't stay composed.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
The protection wasn't great but it was adequate on that play, Kaep should have stepped up and made a different read or took off running. He heard footsteps, got nervous and made the wrong read. Seattles D sped him up on purpose and he didn't stay composed.

That's correct.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by T-9ers:

That's correct.

Let's try and not derail every thread. If you want to talk about Kap, go to the Kap thread, or one of the many Kap spin-off threads.

This is a thread about Anthony Davis. Analyze his strengths, weaknesses, future with the team, etc.

Thanks.
Cliff Avril did the same thing against Franklin in the super bowl. -- 6'7" 320 fewest sacks given up in 2012 in NFL by a right tackle. Davis backpedals on Avril on the play because Avril is that strong and was kicking his a** all game long. He does that to everyone.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/03/cliff-avril-raise-super-bowl-xlviii/
Look how smart it was by Seattle to overload the rush to Kaps throwing side. It would have been nice for Kap to float left, where there was no rush, and taken off.

Seattle rushed 2 on the play with one spy and still got pressure.

The play that might've worked is for kap to roll left, drawing the spy off hunter, then dump to hunter who may have gotten 5-10 yards for sure, maybe more. Seattle was hysterical to get coverage in the end zone.

Of course, we see those type of short touch plays all the time between Kap and the receiving corps, so it was suprising we bombed the ball downfield.

[sarcasm=infinite]
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:13 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Since07:
Isnt he only 23 yrs old? He still has alot of development I think hell be jus fine

Well played.

He'll actually be 27 in November

Anthony Davis was born Oct.11, 1989, he's 24 will turn 25 next Oct.
Well to be fair Seattle has a good front 7 even though the Legion get's the headlines but yes he needs to play better or we need to get another TE to help him block or catch passes and let VD help out with protection.His contract is too big to give up on him.

true
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

SEA had two spies in that play, both DL on that side if the formation. That's why Staley and Snyder were doing Gangnam style.

Man......if Kap does a reverse spin and rolls right, he has Hunter one-on-one with a LB#51 playing spy... It gives him 4 options instead of one. He can try and run for more yardage, throw it short to Hunter, throw it to Crab who will be coming back for the ball, or throw it away.