There are 38 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth - and I Don't Mean Gore

The main difference I see with Seahawks & Niners defensive strategy is

Seattle loads up on bodies in the Front 7, while having their most skilled defenders in the secondary. We do the exact opposite. Our Front 7 has multiple All Pros, while our corners are just bodies.

This leaves us vulnerable against spread attacks. Being a power team gives us a clear advantage on offense but on defense it sometimes hinders us as this is a passing league. Most teams expect to be unable to consistently run the football, so there is always a backup plan versus the 49ers defense.
The cure for C is Looney, IMHO. He's got the size, intelligence and toughness to play the position. I can see him developing a la Newberry...really. WRT A. Davis, he's one of the guys I'm sure Baalke will ask to restructure his contract. Luke Marquardt is healthy and should emerge as the swing OT...which could ultimately lead to taking over for AD at RT. He's big and very athletic, so would seem to have the right stuff to deal with those dynamic pass rushers/DE's. Ryan Seymour could also factor into the OG mix...he's young and inexpensive. Kilgore's another versatile guy. As a whole, there's quite a bit of versatility in the OL group. Would expect Baalke to draft an (possibly two) OL for future depth.
Originally posted by sacleads:
The Truth is, it's a copycat league and we need to start copycat what works for the Seahawks. DBs mugging every WRs to death and bet that the refs won't flag them every down. What a freaking strategy. Hats off to them for coming up with that. I don't care what you call it. All I know is, this strategy helped them lift up a Lombardi trophy. We need to start building our DBs in the mold of Seahawks.

Yes. 6'4" 235 lbs. across the board in the secondary and hold and mug guys on every play.
Anthony Davis is a very bad pass protector. People on the WZ complain about Iupati. #1 Iupati was injured all year with various problems. #2 He's a much better pass protector than Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis is a run blocker. That's all. I'm not sure why people can't see it. And he is a weak point in our line.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Anthony Davis is a very bad pass protector. People on the WZ complain about Iupati. #1 Iupati was injured all year with various problems. #2 He's a much better pass protector than Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis is a run blocker. That's all. I'm not sure why people can't see it. And he is a weak point in our line.

This-

I think they have Davis in the wrong position. They need to look into flipping him with Boon. The 49ers haven't been that great in pass protection in a LONG time. They were able to cover up a lot of deficiencies with Young and Garcia, after that, it's gone from horror show to mediocre. I actually think the 49ers should look into drafting another lineman in the first round and try to score a DB or Receiver later on.

This line has been over rated. Got away with looking serviceable in pass blocking the year before last because Smith got hurt and Keap was running all over the place. Now, teams know the pass blocking is suspect and if you send 5 guys, you get pressure immediately or if you have a solid four, sink the LB's into the passing lanes.
I agree that ADavis' weakness is pass protection. Especially with speed rushers. I subscribe to the thinking that when an athlete signs a fat contract, they take a year off. It's a bit of human nature that after they make it 'big time', they let their foot off the gas a bit in terms of offseason conditioning and motivational drive. ADavis signed a nice extension this past offseason so I expected him to be slow coming out of the gate in 13-14. It was a bit of a season long slump so I hope that he regains the level of play that warranted the extension Baalke gave him.
Originally posted by Geeked:

This-

I think they have Davis in the wrong position. They need to look into flipping him with Boon. The 49ers haven't been that great in pass protection in a LONG time. They were able to cover up a lot of deficiencies with Young and Garcia, after that, it's gone from horror show to mediocre. I actually think the 49ers should look into drafting another lineman in the first round and try to score a DB or Receiver later on.

This line has been over rated. Got away with looking serviceable in pass blocking the year before last because Smith got hurt and Keap was running all over the place. Now, teams know the pass blocking is suspect and if you send 5 guys, you get pressure immediately or if you have a solid four, sink the LB's into the passing lanes.

He's the most overrated guy on the WZ. He's deficient and a weakness at pass blocking. I think people want to believe all is well because he got an extension and a big contract. But he's more of a weak point on our O Line. Iupati is a beast when healthy. And he's pretty tough even when injured. Iupati is not our problem and I hope we keep him but we might not because of the salary cap.
Originally posted by Geeked:

This-

He's the most overrated guy on the WZ. He's deficient and a weakness at pass blocking. I think people want to believe all is well because he got an extension and a big contract. But he's more of a weak point on our O Line. Iupati is a beast when healthy. And he's pretty tough even when injured. Iupati is not our problem and I hope we keep him but we might not because of the salary cap.

Agreed to all of the above. You definitely want to make sure you are protecting a QB's blind side, but I think it is just as important to have a guy that does not get pushed into the QB's face. I keep bringing this up, but that last interception, Kap may have been able to step into his throw better if Davis was not bulldozed into him 2 seconds after the snap.

Davis reminds me a lot of Leonard Davis when he was with the Cardinals. He was huge and was great at run blocking, but was always abused on the edge. Oddly enough, he signed with Dallas and was moved to Guard. He made the pro bowl that same year.

Because of Davis' contract, I really hope he improves this offseason, but I would not bet money on it.
I think we are just fine. We need to add a fast WR that can come in and learn from Boldin and Crabs. The rest of our team is good. We just went 12-4 and realistically, had we had Crabs gone 14-2! We and Seattle are even, they win up there and we win down here. I firmly believe had that game been played in SF we win. I think most of you 'reasonable' fans feel the same way. We are never going to dominate the Hawks up there so we need to dominate our schedule and get HFA So we play these games at home.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really like this assessment dj. I agree and weight has been an issue for him. My problem is he was beat on almost every snap during this game, one which lead to a strip, and the last play of the game - the pass to Crabtree. From a certain angle, it looks like Kap throws earlier than he wanted to because Davis was being pushed back into Kap.....

You shouldn't take that play out of context. Those Seattle guys did a great job of selling a stunt and Davis was trying to defend that... my guess is that just a few plays earlier those two guys lined up the same and rushed the same but actually did a stunt. Because they did such a good job of selling that stunt the outside rusher was able to build up a lot of steam. That was a great defensive play and execution on their part. I'm not making excuses for Davis because he screwed up.. but just saying that he shouldn't get attacked because he got beat on a simple rush... that fake stunt held him long enough to help the outside rusher.

Out of context? Davis had pass protection problems ALL GAME.

Again if this was the ONE time it happened during the game, I agree..... but it absolutely is not and isn't even the worst incident of him being beat. It was the play where Kap gets stripped by Cliff Avril from behind after he had just completely toasted Davis ...... on the other side of the field.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Forty_Niners:
The main difference I see with Seahawks & Niners defensive strategy is

Seattle loads up on bodies in the Front 7, while having their most skilled defenders in the secondary. We do the exact opposite. Our Front 7 has multiple All Pros, while our corners are just bodies.

This leaves us vulnerable against spread attacks. Being a power team gives us a clear advantage on offense but on defense it sometimes hinders us as this is a passing league. Most teams expect to be unable to consistently run the football, so there is always a backup plan versus the 49ers defense.

That's a nice observation.
Vernon, like Kap is notorious for playing like garbage in Seattle. The Hawks defenders have intimidated him easily since that concussion.
Nothing like a classic WZ overreaction. Allow me to counter with statistical evidence from PFF:

Say what you want about PFF grades, but they watch every player on every play, and I find this more reliable than broad generalizations like "He sucks at pass pro, because I say so".

AD graded out positively overall in 2012 and 2013, including in pass protection. Yes, he had a bad game against Seattle. That doesn't make him a bad pass protector overall. You have to take his body of work into account.

He had a better 2012 than 2013, as did the rest of the O-line. There was a collective drop-off this year. Also, the entire O-line was clearly a step slow in the NFCCG due to being forced to rely on a silent snap count all game long. That's one of the biggest advantages Seattle has at home with the crowd noise.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nothing like a classic WZ overreaction. Allow me to counter with statistical evidence from PFF:

Say what you want about PFF grades, but they watch every player on every play, and I find this more reliable than broad generalizations like "He sucks at pass pro, because I say so".

AD graded out positively overall in 2012 and 2013, including in pass protection. Yes, he had a bad game against Seattle. That doesn't make him a bad pass protector overall. You have to take his body of work into account.

He had a better 2012 than 2013, as did the rest of the O-line. There was a collective drop-off this year. Also, the entire O-line was clearly a step slow in the NFCCG due to being forced to rely on a silent snap count all game long. That's one of the biggest advantages Seattle has at home with the crowd noise.

This.

But I am sure guys like SanDiego know better.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Thanks for posting that. I guess I fell for that trap of having the last game of the season define his entire season. He struggles with speed rushers, but that is true for many RTs. He can use some improvement in foot speed that is for sure.