There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth - and I Don't Mean Gore

The Truth is, it's a copycat league and we need to start copycat what works for the Seahawks. DBs mugging every WRs to death and bet that the refs won't flag them every down. What a freaking strategy. Hats off to them for coming up with that. I don't care what you call it. All I know is, this strategy helped them lift up a Lombardi trophy. We need to start building our DBs in the mold of Seahawks.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Greg Roman is the problem, plain and simple. There's a reason no one wants this jackass as a head coach.

Are you serious? There is not a more excellent play caller in the redzone than G-RO.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Greg Roman is the problem, plain and simple. There's a reason no one wants this jackass as a head coach.

Are you serious? There is not a more excellent play caller in the redzone than G-RO.
and we have mounds of evidence in the file to prove it. that file is pretty f**king thick to
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really like this assessment dj. I agree and weight has been an issue for him. My problem is he was beat on almost every snap during this game, one which lead to a strip, and the last play of the game - the pass to Crabtree. From a certain angle, it looks like Kap throws earlier than he wanted to because Davis was being pushed back into Kap.....

You shouldn't take that play out of context. Those Seattle guys did a great job of selling a stunt and Davis was trying to defend that... my guess is that just a few plays earlier those two guys lined up the same and rushed the same but actually did a stunt. Because they did such a good job of selling that stunt the outside rusher was able to build up a lot of steam. That was a great defensive play and execution on their part. I'm not making excuses for Davis because he screwed up.. but just saying that he shouldn't get attacked because he got beat on a simple rush... that fake stunt held him long enough to help the outside rusher.
Originally posted by sacleads:
The Truth is, it's a copycat league and we need to start copycat what works for the Seahawks. DBs mugging every WRs to death and bet that the refs won't flag them every down. What a freaking strategy. Hats off to them for coming up with that. I don't care what you call it. All I know is, this strategy helped them lift up a Lombardi trophy. We need to start building our DBs in the mold of Seahawks.

They didn't come up with that... GB has been doing it for years. They got away with it just as much as Seattle when they had Al Harris and Charles Woodson doing it and it got them a Super Bowl win too. Seattle's coaches have even said they saw that and were envious and got the players who were big enoug to copy it. Not to mention their GM Schneider is from Green Bay.
[ Edited by threelittlebirds on Feb 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I really like this assessment dj. I agree and weight has been an issue for him. My problem is he was beat on almost every snap during this game, one which lead to a strip, and the last play of the game - the pass to Crabtree. From a certain angle, it looks like Kap throws earlier than he wanted to because Davis was being pushed back into Kap.....

You shouldn't take that play out of context. Those Seattle guys did a great job of selling a stunt and Davis was trying to defend that... my guess is that just a few plays earlier those two guys lined up the same and rushed the same but actually did a stunt. Because they did such a good job of selling that stunt the outside rusher was able to build up a lot of steam. That was a great defensive play and execution on their part. I'm not making excuses for Davis because he screwed up.. but just saying that he shouldn't get attacked because he got beat on a simple rush... that fake stunt held him long enough to help the outside rusher.
Good post. This is dead on after looking at the play again.

I agree with you. Personally Im not worried about Davis. Staley took several years to turn into the player he is today. And on that last play he didnt have his feet set and was in fact giving ground when a full speed DE egaged him. As above poster said, I give Seattle credit for the way they attacked our right side. On a side rant I have always felt our 49er Tackles give too much ground creating the pocket. And when doing so it makes it harder to stonewall a full speed rusher.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
from the beginning, i've said davis has the qualities of a pro bowl guard, and i've been routinely flamed on message boards for saying that.
he's a brute and a mauler. what he isn't is a talented pass blocker against quickness; he just doesn't have the physical tools to pull that off.

a quick fix, and very logical move is to move boone to rt and davis to rg. both would thrive there.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Another solution would be to get Davis on a diet. The guy is getting pretty damn big. Dropping 20 lbs would really help him against the speed rushers.

that's always been the case. he carries useless baby fat that is a liability.
Originally posted by facestabber:

I agree with you. Personally Im not worried about Davis. Staley took several years to turn into the player he is today. And on that last play he didnt have his feet set and was in fact giving ground when a full speed DE egaged him. As above poster said, I give Seattle credit for the way they attacked our right side. On a side rant I have always felt our 49er Tackles give too much ground creating the pocket. And when doing so it makes it harder to stonewall a full speed rusher.

I'm not that worried about Davis either. It is good to chase perfection at every position but its also wise to realize when you've got a talented player who wins most of his battles... you can't get upset because sometimes he does get beat. It was interesting that when Avril was with Detroit and when Bennett was with Tampa... Davis won those battles. No sacks for Avril in 2011 and 2012, 1 sack for Bennett in 2010 and 2011. Then this year they each got 2 sacks on Davis in the 3 games vs the 49ers. Well, who knows if they were all on Davis but I think they both line up on his side... they did with Detroit and Tampa. My guess is the rotation helped them out... they got to sit out a few plays while Davis was always out there.

They didn't come up with that... GB has been doing it for years. They got away with it just as much as Seattle when they had Al Harris and Charles Woodson doing it and it got them a Super Bowl win too. Seattle's coaches have even said they saw that and were envious and got the players who were big enoug to copy it. Not to mention their GM Schneider is from Green Bay.

Good to know. Now, we just need this coaching staff to get moving on this plan.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Both Mike Iupati and Goodwin were worse this season.
Imamod? He dead.
The IT is that some other team has it better than us and it's time for Harbaugh/Baalke to admit that the team needs some changes.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM ]

Great point.

I am sick and tired of hearing people complain about the way the Seahawk secondary plays. The truth is; they are bigger and stronger than most wide receivers so it doesn't take much to slow the opponents down. However, the major point is that the league has decided that what Seattle is doing is within the rules. So quit complaining that the other team is taking aggressive advantage of the rules. 49er defensive staff needs to teach our DBs to do what the rules obviously allow. If the officials begin to change the way they call it then you go back but for now, play aggressively and quit complaining about the other guys. What they are doing is obviously being allowed.