There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth - and I Don't Mean Gore

The real issue to me is the CONSISTENT major failure to score consistently in the Red Zone.

If we did that we'd be the champs.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Maybe you need a Lynch type runner to wear them down and loosen the coverage

That runner might be Marcus Lattimore. The other thing that I could imagine them trying is moving Boone out to RT and Davis in to Guard and I see BLM774 already mentioned that above. Doing that might allow Kaepernick to step up in the pocket a little more often because more speedy linemen like Staley and Boone could steer those outside pass rushers out and around while a beefy middle of the line could hold ground.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The real issue to me is the CONSISTENT major failure to score consistently in the Red Zone.

I'll be very surprised if they don't spend at least a couple good picks adding passing targets. There's a lot of speed and a lot of height in this receiving class. There are very tall guys with 4.5 speed and a few guys in the 5-11 range with tremendous speed. But definitely adding legitimate targets should help in the Red Zone. The other thing is that I expect McDonald to progress. He was mainly working on blocking this year. Next year, he might be a big red zone target who can step into the end zone turn around and catch a TD pass without guys being able to get around him and knock it down.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

talk to JH and his fat little henchman roman about that one
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Now that it's officially the off-season, we can put everything on the table.

So this issue has been slightly address but in my mind a HUGE factor as to why we lost in Seattle. It's been a growing issue I thought was addressed, but will continue to be an issue as we routinely stay in contention.

Anthony Davis - Pass Protection

He was an absolute liability during the biggest game of his career and was routinely beat last year in the Super Bowl. It's a good think Kap can run because he would almost certainly have been sacked repeatedly. Anthony Davis has a big problem with outside speed. It's been said his major attribute coming out of college was how big and nimble he was. Unfortunately that's not shown up yet at the next level. If this team is seriously going to contend with the Seahawks, Davis is either going to have to get better immediately or we need to seriously consider a replacement.

The bummer is that he has a big contract that was recently extended. I guess the other possibilities is we choose to let Iupati go and turn Davis into a guard and bring in a vet who can hold down RT a bit more effectively.

He struggled with pass pro but he his way better than that thug, Bruno, that Seattle has.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by crabman82:
his pass pro is not elite and in seattle thats going to show more with the crowd noise.

Agreed. Seattle's defensive front is good but they have the benefit of facing deaf mute offenses 8 games per year. Pretty easy to beat an offensive lineman when they never get use cadence or a legitimate snap count.

I haven't looked at any stats but I thought the bigger problem in pass protection was over center and left guard.

Seattle's defense is more than just crowd noise. They intentionally put together a quick, aggressive group of players with the purpose of being quicker than many of the huge OL that are now prevalent in the league. Anthony Davis is just one example of that target OL. He is acceptable against most defensive linemen but can't handle the quickness and agility of Michael Bennett and those like him.

As the Seahawks proved in the Super Bowl, you must be quick enough to defend their stunts and slants if you are to have a chance to beat them.

It will be interesting to see how many teams attempt to mimic the defense Pete Carroll has put together. It is designed to feed off guys like Davis.

I would like to see Davis lose 10-15 pounds. He would not miss the weight and it almost certainly would improve his quickness. The greatest weakness of the 49er OL is their lack of quickness and agility. Davis is not alone in that regard. Even Staley gets beat occasionally by quickness.

I really like this assessment dj. I agree and weight has been an issue for him. My problem is he was beat on almost every snap during this game, one which lead to a strip, and the last play of the game - the pass to Crabtree. From a certain angle, it looks like Kap throws earlier than he wanted to because Davis was being pushed back into Kap.....

[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
Isnt he only 23 yrs old? He still has alot of development I think hell be jus fine
His issue isn't his footwork but its his arms. He doesn't fire them out fast enough to get a hold of guys and control them. The speed rushers get into him so fast that it's to late and he gets beat. Then the speed rusher comes with counter moves and he's really toast. Staley has the an issue with speed rushers as well but he fires his arms and get a hold of guys a lot faster and better.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I agree with the OP's assessment. Davis has been a liability in pass pro for a while. It wasn't just the Seattle DL who were abusing him. I seem to remember seeing him getting beat badly by pass rushers from AZ, MIA, etc. Perhaps having him switch positions with Boone would be a good experiment to try out. Either that, or our coaches have to start giving him pass blocking help in crucial situations.
Originally posted by Since07:
Isnt he only 23 yrs old? He still has alot of development I think hell be jus fine

Well played.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

Well played.

He'll actually be 27 in November
Originally posted by lamontb:
His issue isn't his footwork but its his arms. He doesn't fire them out fast enough to get a hold of guys and control them. The speed rushers get into him so fast that it's to late and he gets beat. Then the speed rusher comes with counter moves and he's really toast. Staley has the an issue with speed rushers as well but he fires his arms and get a hold of guys a lot faster and better.

When Davis first came out, one of his reported strengths was his quick feet. In his first two seasons, he fared well against speed rushers but struggled against bull (power) rushers. So he spent a lot of time in the gym, put on a few pounds but the overall weight gain now seems to have turned him into being better against the bull rushers but has cost him foot speed.

This is a good example of how limiting a power running game can be. Every defense will eventually put enough defenders in the box to stop power running no matter how big your OL is. (what Seattle does) In that case, you have to be able to pass. However, if your OL is comprised of huge run blockers who lack agility for a wide running game and pass protection, your offense will always struggle in key situations.
Originally posted by 9er2k:

Well played.

He'll actually be 27 in November

I took that to be a reference to the excuses given for Kaepernick's lack of skill in reading the field and going through progressions.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
I took that to be a reference to the excuses given for Kaepernick's lack of skill in reading the field and going through progressions.

Greg Roman is the problem, plain and simple. There's a reason no one wants this jackass as a head coach.