There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Inconvenient Truth - and I Don't Mean Gore

Now that it's officially the off-season, we can put everything on the table.

So this issue has been slightly address but in my mind a HUGE factor as to why we lost in Seattle. It's been a growing issue I thought was addressed, but will continue to be an issue as we routinely stay in contention.

Anthony Davis - Pass Protection

He was an absolute liability during the biggest game of his career and was routinely beat last year in the Super Bowl. It's a good think Kap can run because he would almost certainly have been sacked repeatedly. Anthony Davis has a big problem with outside speed. It's been said his major attribute coming out of college was how big and nimble he was. Unfortunately that's not shown up yet at the next level. If this team is seriously going to contend with the Seahawks, Davis is either going to have to get better immediately or we need to seriously consider a replacement.

The bummer is that he has a big contract that was recently extended. I guess the other possibilities is we choose to let Iupati go and turn Davis into a guard and bring in a vet who can hold down RT a bit more effectively.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Well to be fair Seattle has a good front 7 even though the Legion get's the headlines but yes he needs to play better or we need to get another TE to help him block or catch passes and let VD help out with protection.His contract is too big to give up on him.
his pass pro is not elite and in seattle thats going to show more with the crowd noise.
49ers not being able to sustain drives and 3rd down & 4th down defense. and red zone offense has drilled us 3 straight years. This team needs an upgrade at Center, and Strong safety and playcalling on offense. A speed mercheant at WR would be welcomed. I like our chances. This team knows it can hang with Seattle. Just gotta keep our core guys and keepem healthy and fill in a few spots from the draft and a couple mid tier hungry FAs and the Departure of that Carlos.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Well to be fair Seattle has a good front 7 even though the Legion get's the headlines but yes he needs to play better or we need to get another TE to help him block or catch passes and let VD help out with protection.His contract is too big to give up on him.

It's very inconvenient.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
49ers not being able to sustain drives and 3rd down & 4th down defense. and red zone offense has drilled us 3 straight years. This team needs an upgrade at Center, and Strong safety and playcalling on offense. A speed mercheant at WR would be welcomed. I like our chances. This team knows it can hang with Seattle. Just gotta keep our core guys and keepem healthy and fill in a few spots from the draft and a couple mid tier hungry FAs and the Departure of that Carlos.

you'll get your new center, maybe that new strong safety, but you will have the same guy calling the plays. i suppose he could improve, but really whats the chance of that?
Originally posted by crabman82:
his pass pro is not elite and in seattle thats going to show more with the crowd noise.

Agreed. Seattle's defensive front is good but they have the benefit of facing deaf mute offenses 8 games per year. Pretty easy to beat an offensive lineman when they never get use cadence or a legitimate snap count.

I haven't looked at any stats but I thought the bigger problem in pass protection was over center and left guard.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I agree with you for the most part. I just find we play too conservative or maybe too scared. And that's on both sides of the ball. Seattle converted on some 3rd and 4th down plays that should not have been converted. Safety play needs to be better. I excuse Reid since he's a rook and played well but Whitner makes too many costly errors. On offense we seem to want to run out the clock once we get a lead even if it comes in the 2nd quarter. Stupid. We have a game breaker at QB. Take the kiddie gloves off! I'd rather lose by trying to win than lose by being too afraid.

As for the WR. We can't develop receivers it seems. We shouldn't even need to get a receiver. We have a lot of talent at receiver when everyone's healthy. Our coaching staff doesn't have a clue how to take advantage of the talent at receiver. We'll draft a speedy receiver and won't have a clue how to use him. Guaranteed.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Maybe you need a Lynch type runner to wear them down and loosen the coverage
We just need to get better in the red zone. this team in the past 2 years has settled for WAY too many field goals. Even in our last game, 1st play we get the fumble recovery deep in Seattle territory. i knew we needed to get a TD on that possession to shut the crowd up and give us all the momentum. but of course we get a FG.

Becoming a top 10 team in the red zone will help this team a lot and i think we have the players already on the roster to do it. PLay calling is a big factor as well as the QB changing the play based on coverages.

One thing i will be interested to see next year is Kaep basically said he didnt run much in reg. season as coaches wanted him healthy for playoffs. So teams now know he wont run as much during the season and can focus more on other things. i wonder if it was a mistake to announce this.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
and can we please get a vet QB on the sideline instead of Colt Mccoy to go over plays and what not on the sideline?

This.

Davis needs the advantage of knowing the snap count with speed rushers. It gives him an extra split second to get going. In a noisy environment where he can't hear the snap count, we need to help him out with a chip from a TE or RB on the DE.

His pass protection is usually much better when playing at home.

Personally, I'd like to see Boone and Davis switch positions. Boone is a better pass protector and Davis is a better run blocker. Seems like Davis should be playing OG and Boone should be OT.
Another solution would be to get Davis on a diet. The guy is getting pretty damn big. Dropping 20 lbs would really help him against the speed rushers.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
We just need to get better in the red zone. this team in the past 2 years has settled for WAY too many field goals. Even in our last game, 1st play we get the fumble recovery deep in Seattle territory. i knew we needed to get a TD on that possession to shut the crowd up and give us all the momentum. but of course we get a FG.

Becoming a top 10 team in the red zone will help this team a lot and i think we have the players already on the roster to do it. PLay calling is a big factor as well as the QB changing the play based on coverages.

One thing i will be interested to see next year is Kaep basically said he didnt run much in reg. season as coaches wanted him healthy for playoffs. So teams now know he wont run as much during the season and can focus more on other things. i wonder if it was a mistake to announce this.

this times a million. i have a pic thats a side by side stat of kaep and our former qb, its from the 2012 season where almost all of their stats are practically identical including the number of total plays each had that year. the only only glaring difference was red zone td %, kaep was at 45% and smith was at 63%. after watching an entire season in 2013 i can say it didnt improve enough.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Agreed. Seattle's defensive front is good but they have the benefit of facing deaf mute offenses 8 games per year. Pretty easy to beat an offensive lineman when they never get use cadence or a legitimate snap count.

I haven't looked at any stats but I thought the bigger problem in pass protection was over center and left guard.

Seattle's defense is more than just crowd noise. They intentionally put together a quick, aggressive group of players with the purpose of being quicker than many of the huge OL that are now prevalent in the league. Anthony Davis is just one example of that target OL. He is acceptable against most defensive linemen but can't handle the quickness and agility of Michael Bennett and those like him.

As the Seahawks proved in the Super Bowl, you must be quick enough to defend their stunts and slants if you are to have a chance to beat them.

It will be interesting to see how many teams attempt to mimic the defense Pete Carroll has put together. It is designed to feed off guys like Davis.

I would like to see Davis lose 10-15 pounds. He would not miss the weight and it almost certainly would improve his quickness. The greatest weakness of the 49er OL is their lack of quickness and agility. Davis is not alone in that regard. Even Staley gets beat occasionally by quickness.