LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

How Far Are We From the Top

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's hard to think playoffs when comparing punting and first down conversion totals with the cream of the NFL. Just illustrates how offensive the MS and JR offensive scheme really is. I guess if you like watching Andy Lee and grabbing some zzz's during the game, you are OK with it.

Total Punts
Niners 56
Saints 30
Pats 31
Chargers 34

First Down Conversions
ATT. Made %
Niners
119 36 30%

Colts
114 57 50%

Dolphs
138 68 48%

Saints
116 55 47%

Pats
123 56 46%
what
We are two offensive lineman and one pass rusher away from being a top team.

J
If you saw the Pats/Colts game last night and our game against Chicago, thats how far we are.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If you saw the Pats/Colts game last night and our game against Chicago, thats how far we are.

Then again, the Patriots lost by a point against the Colts, and we lost by 4 points.

We're not as far off as most people think.
Originally posted by B650:

Then again, the Patriots lost by a point against the Colts, and we lost by 4 points.

Originally posted by MiamiNiner:

J

add one complementary back to Gore and I agree.

that's true our D is better than most in the nfl, and we have shown that we can lead and almost win the top teams ON THE ROAD WITH KEY INJURIES (see Minn IND). That's more than i can say for other "top ten" teams.

Even with backups we are good....healthy very good
We are definitely a few pieces away from being "on top"

Teams that are "on top" play all three phases of the game well; consistently. We have not done that for more than a game, let alone the majority of a season.

Our OL has some HUGE holes

We still lack a lockdown corner.

Our Pass Rush is better, but still not conducive for our scheme.

We have very little in regards to a return team.

We have no idea who our QB of the future is.

And..........probably most importantly, we could use depth at virtually every position on the team.

We will be in the middle until the majority of these things happen.
I think the Niners are a mid range team right now.... It appears they are about as good as their current record. Look at Atlanta...they are 5-4 and they just dismantled the Niners on the road. SF isn't nearly as good as that team.

Here are the "problem" areas IMHO...
QB (neither Smith nor Hill has really impressed)
RB (except for Gore....who has an injury history a mile long)
OL (the team needs at least two decent OTs and another decent OG in order to be respectable)

OLB (both starters have underperformed this year and are just not contributing much...and there is little depth at this position)
DE (aside from J Smith there is little pass rush ability at this position)
CB (not much depth)

Bottom line? Everyone who pays attention to the NFL knows that the areas the Niners needed to address more than any others after last year were pass rusher and OL.... They didn't really address either....and that is why this team has a losing record and will continue to lose until it does address these key areas.
I think the team is at least a half dozen good players away from being a solid playoff team.

• krizay
  • Veteran

I hate this saying with a passion. But it fits....

"I know right"

You can laugh all you want but, the truth is we're 4 close games away from being 8-1 right now... Shoulda, coulda, woulda... I know... But, this team is close to turning the corner.
Originally posted by BigRon:

J

and a qb..................................maybe
[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by BigRon:

J

and a qb

We need some pieces & some continuity on offense.
Share 49ersWebzone