LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Why dont we bring more heat to the QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Because our secondary aka carlos Rodgers needs help in coverage so we either have to bring him on a blitz or we have to give him some help in coverage. I really love to improve are cb's I like brown way more than carlos, I think cul was improving hope he recovers from the injury. I love brock on the outside. Hate carlos as the slot.

Like to see this happen. Release carlos. Resign Brown doubt we do though. Have Cul, Brown, and Brock rotate as the outside cb's. Draft 2 guys at cb maybe we can land a great slot cb. Resign whitner. Would love to see that happen. And than since are secondary will be improve since we don't have major liability in Rodgers we can run press man single high have reed ball hawk, and have whiter close to the line incase of runs, and help double someone in coverage.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:04 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Blitzes work best when unanticipated. No point in consistently rushing more than four. It also helps your OLB keep some gas. Blitzes can tire out players if they are doing it a lot.

Not very many successful teams blitz all the time. You need to be able to create pressure with four rushers.

The only time constant blitzing does work is if you have a slightly below average pass blocking line with receivers that are unable to separate themselves from coverage. The QB has no time to "progress" and depends on receiving options to win one on one battles. But when you have all stars like Kyle Williams, your TE double covered and AB double covered.... you can blitz all day; especially when you keep trying to pass from a tight formation.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM ]
If you watched the NFCCG, the Niners put plenty of heat on Wilson...for much of the game they had him running for his life. Fangio's selective about when he calls a blitz...and for the most part, he's right on target. As armchair fans, we tend to get excited and say "blitz, blitz". Fangio knows what he's doing and keeps a clear head, which most of us just can't do.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If you watched the NFCCG, the Niners put plenty of heat on Wilson...for much of the game they had him running for his life. Fangio's selective about when he calls a blitz...and for the most part, he's right on target. As armchair fans, we tend to get excited and say "blitz, blitz". Fangio knows what he's doing and keeps a clear head, which most of us just can't do.
I agree completely.

I don't know why people complain about Fangio's lack of blitzing so much. It's a common complaint. We have hardly blitzed over the past three years, and yet we have arguably the best collective defense in the league over that span. Why would would we change!?

Getting pressure on the quarterback is great. But remember, there's a caveat -- you're taking someone out of coverage. If the offense picks up the blitz, they're going to be able to exploit the diminished coverage downfield.

Now, if our defense was unproductive or struggling, I could see cause for concern or wanting to see change. But, if it's not broke, why fix it?
It';s b/c Fangio is protecting a shaky secondary. Willis and Bowman are used more to cover tight ends and backs vs the safeties. Leads to them blitzing less b/c you can't trust Whitner to cover anybody. If you get better safeties that can cover then that frees up Willis and Bowman more to blitz. They blitzed a lot more in the playoffs then they did in the regular season. Pass rush wasn't a issue down the stretch this year. It was db's once again not being able to make a play on the ball, giving up that run to Lynch and the offense.
My only complaint regarding lack of blitzing is when Fangio goes prevent too early and allows teams to stay around. When you know the other team has to pass in order to mount a come back the blitz should be used liberally. But it can't be the same guys every time. Blitzing with an extra DB or one of the MLBs is my favorite type of play...just can't predict it and our players seem pretty good at this...especially Bowman.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My only complaint regarding lack of blitzing is when Fangio goes prevent too early and allows teams to stay around. When you know the other team has to pass in order to mount a come back the blitz should be used liberally. But it can't be the same guys every time. Blitzing with an extra DB or one of the MLBs is my favorite type of play...just can't predict it and our players seem pretty good at this...especially Bowman.
It is alarming how when the Niners get a lead they just play 10 yards off wr's and let teams march down the field. Then they start only rushing 3./4 guys and it starts to snowball.
Originally posted by lamontb:
It is alarming how when the Niners get a lead they just play 10 yards off wr's and let teams march down the field. Then they start only rushing 3./4 guys and it starts to snowball.

This is what bugs me too. It seems like every time we got a lead of 10+, the defense gave up a TD that next series. That needs to be corrected.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Oddly enough, Seattle does not blitz hardly at all. They do it mainly with their front 4. Our defense just isn't built to bring pressure that way.

they rush 6 linemen

6-2-3
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM ]
Avril and Bennett are the reason why their defense went from simply great to all-time status.

We have Aldon and that's it. Justin only bull rushes, Brooks has no moves, Fangio rarely blitzes Bo or Willis. We added Lemonier who looks like a one trick pony (speed) and Skuta who looked very good in his snaps but barely saw the field after Aldon came back.

Everyone was caught up the past offseason in Harvin vs Boldin. Where Seattle passed us was adding Avril/Bennett vs Lemonier/Skuta.

You can't blitz all of the time, you have to catch the blockers and QB off guard for it to be most effective and if they know it is coming they can usually beat the blitz. Fangio is also spoiled by what is easily the best 4 man rush in the NFL. Aldon, Justin, RayMac, and Brooks out of their nickel package which they play a boat load of because of how most of the league runs 3 WR sets most of the game.

You remember the week 2 game in Seattle where Lynch caught a pass in the flat with nobody within 10 yards of him and just stood at the goalline for a bit before he crossed for a TD? That was on a blitz... blitzes are great!!! Yes I'm being a bit sarcastic, just don't act like every time the 49ers blitz it was pure gold and they need to do it more and more and more.
Originally posted by Kes8514:
You can't blitz all the time in the NFL and become predictable. NFL QB's will pick you apart if you do that too much.

The Niners get great pressure on the QB rushing 4. That's why you don't see them blitz as much as you think they should.

This. Seattle gets away with doing what they do because their DB's push the limits of the rules in pass coverage.
Oddly enough, Seattle does not blitz hardly at all. They do it mainly with their front 4. Our defense just isn't built to bring pressure that way.

But they do play press on the edges. That's where I agree with the initial topic. Would love to see DB near the LOS, esp on 3rd & 7 and 3rd & 9. Seattle converted 3 of those for 1st downs. Ball was out in under 2 seconds...
Originally posted by jbeale49:

But they do play press on the edges. That's where I agree with the initial topic. Would love to see DB near the LOS, esp on 3rd & 7 and 3rd & 9. Seattle converted 3 of those for 1st downs. Ball was out in under 2 seconds...

because they trust their DB's.

our defensive philosophies are different. in SF we trust our front 7 to make plays so we keep the safeties back to help the DB's. in Seattle they trust thomas and their DB's so they bring chancellor up to help the front 7.
If you can get pressure on the QB without blitzing, you do that. Not many teams have that luxury, but we are one.
Share 49ersWebzone