There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why dont we bring more heat to the QB?

Isn't it weird that every time we brought a blitz and heat to the Quarterback, we dropped him? I don't understand why we didn't drop QB's a lot more this year. These playoffs, we had finally blitzed a little and everytime we did so, we dropped Rodgers, Newton, Wilson. Every time. I just think our defensive game plan should have more blitzes on big time 3rd downs. Press coverage on those plays so we don't get fooled on slants. I hope that Vic brings more heat next season! And I hope Carlos Rodgers is gone. Lol. Go 9ers baby!!!
You can't blitz all the time in the NFL and become predictable. NFL QB's will pick you apart if you do that too much.

The Niners get great pressure on the QB rushing 4. That's why you don't see them blitz as much as you think they should.
Oddly enough, Seattle does not blitz hardly at all. They do it mainly with their front 4. Our defense just isn't built to bring pressure that way.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Kes8514:
You can't blitz all the time in the NFL and become predictable. NFL QB's will pick you apart if you do that too much.

The Niners get great pressure on the QB rushing 4. That's why you don't see them blitz as much as you think they should.

this is pretty true. if we barely ever blitz, then it's much more likely to work the very few times we do it..
Because we don't have to.
It's interesting that you bring this up..

I forget if it was the duration of the first half, or the first half + the beginning of the 3rd Q, but, we blitzed the sh** out of Russell on almost every 3rd down and it worked beautifully. We kept going to it 3rd down after 3rd down and his little a** was getting dropped. During the game, I was screaming "WHY AREN'T WE BLITZING HIM?" every 3rd down that we didn't, knowing the dangers of doing so (e.g. slant... touchdown) . It was the heat of the moment I guess. But anyway, now that I look at it, I feel neutralized.

1) We aren't a team that brings pressure consistently. We are extremely disciplined (aside from a couple offside and PI penalties) defensively and rely on our coverage to hold and force the opposing Offense to make a mistake

2) Blitzing consistently (esp. against a smart & mobile QB) is just asking for the worst a**-whooping of your life.

3)#1, #2 PLUS the fact that we were playing in the NFCCG gives even more reason as to why we shouldn't have taken any more chance(s) to try and force a TO, we let other teams do that for us.
Because we don't have LeBron on the D-Line
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Oddly enough, Seattle does not blitz hardly at all. They do it mainly with their front 4. Our defense just isn't built to bring pressure that way.

Huh? Care to explain this a little more?

The Niners, when healthy, are one of the best teams in the league at getting pressure on the QB with their front 4.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
We could and will we didn't have aldon most of the season(he still had pretty good stats though)
I love when we play our corners 10 yards off the LOS
Originally posted by Kes8514:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Huh? Care to explain this a little more?

The Niners, when healthy, are one of the best teams in the league at getting pressure on the QB with their front 4.

Yeah, seriously what?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersJordan:
Isn't it weird that every time we brought a blitz and heat to the Quarterback, we dropped him?

Every time.

I find that a little hard to believe.
This thread is all wrong. Our base d has not consistently produced sacks in 22 games. We needed to change up our look and bring an additional guy where possible. We did that and had success. We need to add an athletic 300 pounder into the mix, and stay aggressive by dialing in more rushes from the second level.
The 49ers get good pressure when healthy. Last year in the Superbowl both Smith's were injured and that killed us. Didn't we get a sack and fumble on the 1st play in Seattle with our base D? All 4 of our LB's are great pass rushers so we should mix in blitzes for all of them during the game but it's better not to be predictable.
When you bring extra guys you are taking a guy out of coverage. If you are silly enough to blitz all the time, opposing teams will eat your defense alive. You have to have top flight dbs that can hang in tight coverage to take risks like that.