LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

2014: Thoughts on the upcoming season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For Arizona to get any better they have to address the qb situation. I have a hard time believing that Carson Palmer is going to be any better than he was this year.
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/NFLN-Should-49ers-Play-Seahawks-Week-1/6de6c0bb-24b2-440f-bc74-a2ef17320152

I have a thought on the upcoming season: Let the fans vote for who the champs play week 1.

I guarantee you that fans would vote SF @ SEA. The game and the season opener is supposed to be must see TV and if you want to kick off the season right you give the fans what they want to see
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/NFLN-Should-49ers-Play-Seahawks-Week-1/6de6c0bb-24b2-440f-bc74-a2ef17320152

I have a thought on the upcoming season: Let the fans vote for who the champs play week 1.

I guarantee you that fans would vote SF @ SEA. The game and the season opener is supposed to be must see TV and if you want to kick off the season right you give the fans what they want to see

I would totally be game for that! Beat them in their house would be a great way to start the season.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I would totally be game for that! Beat them in their house would be a great way to start the season.

I think the Niners will open the season at Levis.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Brooks is not a one trick phony.

I was being harsh, but he really looks like he has no moves or counters, he either commits to a speed rush around the edge or a straight up bull rush. The great ones have the ability to mix the two together to keep the blocker off balance.
Marv, great post. I'd just add some other worthy (if lesser known) names:

- Bruce Miller. Once he got hurt, our running game just wasn't the same. He's among the best in the league.

- Joe Looney. We really haven't seen how beastly this guy can be yet...but, I'm hoping he becomes our C. I really think he has the potential to be a la Newberry.

- Luke Marquardt. Dude's got it all...huge size, but very athletic. First, he becomes the swing OT. Eventually, I see him replacing AD at RT.

- Ian Williams. Should be an epic battle between him & Dorsey for starting NT. What a luxury, though, to have two "bigs" as talented as that.

- Tony Jerod-Eddie. Dude really came on this season. Looks like a bright future...versatile enough to play DE & NT.

- Dan Skuta. Wow, he really surprised us, didn't he. Love his old-school tough mentality. He's a keeper, for sure.

- Kevin McDermott. Who? He's the guy who replaced a legend LS, Brian Jennings. And he did it without missing a beat.

- Kaseem Osgood. Is there a better ST'er out there? Dude was awesome...good insurance WR, too.

- Vance McDonald. He hardly blocked a lick at SMU...but Niner coaches worked with him & he improved a ton. Now...he's ready to be a receiver.

- Corey Lemonier. We saw flashes of what this guy can do off the edge. He'll put on 10 lbs of muscle...then watch out!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by sacleads:
Originally posted by fister30:
Arizona will contend with the NFC west title. I can easily see non conference games being the difference here. Seattle, Arizona and SF will beat each other up. Some gay team like GB or Carolina or maybe the Saints will end up with the best record. Arizona's offense was improving with every game. They took apart seattle in seattle. If it wasn't for cardinal errors, the cards could have blown them out.

They might be a contender next year but long term, it's the Rams that I'm most worried about. 49ers and Seahawks will be battling for Super Bowls for the next two or three years, which ever teams survives this war, might have to face the Rams, especially if they can trade back their no.#2 pick and get another boat load of picks this upcoming draft.

Not worried about the Rams as long as Bradford is still the QB.

True, but look at how Hawks' and our fortunes has turn around by slowly laying the foundation everywhere else first. Once the foundation was set, we both went out and got our QBs. Now, we are the two most feared teams in NFL.

I see the Rams are doing the same thing, laying their foundation. Once that is set and with a little luck like us and the Hawks; get themselves a QB, there might be a three headed monster in NFC for a long time.
[ Edited by sacleads on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Marv, great post. I'd just add some other worthy (if lesser known) names:

- Bruce Miller. Once he got hurt, our running game just wasn't the same. He's among the best in the league.

- Joe Looney. We really haven't seen how beastly this guy can be yet...but, I'm hoping he becomes our C. I really think he has the potential to be a la Newberry.

- Luke Marquardt. Dude's got it all...huge size, but very athletic. First, he becomes the swing OT. Eventually, I see him replacing AD at RT.

- Ian Williams. Should be an epic battle between him & Dorsey for starting NT. What a luxury, though, to have two "bigs" as talented as that.

- Tony Jerod-Eddie. Dude really came on this season. Looks like a bright future...versatile enough to play DE & NT.

- Dan Skuta. Wow, he really surprised us, didn't he. Love his old-school tough mentality. He's a keeper, for sure.

- Kevin McDermott. Who? He's the guy who replaced a legend LS, Brian Jennings. And he did it without missing a beat.

- Kaseem Osgood. Is there a better ST'er out there? Dude was awesome...good insurance WR, too.

- Vance McDonald. He hardly blocked a lick at SMU...but Niner coaches worked with him & he improved a ton. Now...he's ready to be a receiver.

- Corey Lemonier. We saw flashes of what this guy can do off the edge. He'll put on 10 lbs of muscle...then watch out!

Reasons in bold along with Tank and Dial(sp) have me fairly excited. The 49ers will be able to flip fronts how ever they want (kinda like they do now but with more oomph). They can flip fronts however they please. Goal line will be dominant and if injury should occur, the 49ers will have depth to recover.

I don't care how good the opponents QB happens to be, or how awesome their running back performs. If the front can hold and press at will, it'll keep the 49ers in the game. This team is starting to look like the 86 Giants.
Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I have a creeping feeling that Sherman will hold out this off season, and IMO he is a fool if he does not. He's playing for pennies given his production and this teams success. He got injured at the end of a blow out in the Super Bowl, his agent has to be grinding him about this already. If Revis is making 13 mill, Sherman can easily ask for 15.

You know what's interesting about this is that I was talking to a "real" Hawk fan about this. Sherman can bolt for the big pay day and the Hawks would be fine. Seriously. Look how well Maxwell played for them. Thurmond, Browner, etc. They draft big, tall - 6'1+ CB's who are pissed off and who are very aggressive at the LOS and run much Cover 3. That's it. It's that simple. Nothing more. That's their scheme and that scheme works esp. in Seattle. They can literally plug-n-play. 9 out of 10 times the refs won't call anything more than a 5 yard pre-pass holding call anyhow (NOT a P.I.). It's genius. Remember the years and years of discussions on whether the player made the WCO or was it the scheme that made the player....plug-n-play! We never missed a beat...

Brilliant quote. They found a simple way that utilizes the current rules environment to wreak havoc on most passing games which rely on timing and route precision. They hold more often than not and beat receivers up within 5 yards. Yes, they have drafted some amazing DB's, and their scheme is best in the NFL.

Totally agree.

I just mentioned in my previous post that I noticed last year that the 49ers were looking alot at taller corners. Marcus Cooper. Nnamdi. Even Sean Smith who they had interest in.

They may load up on tall corners in early may and see if they can replicate what seattle has done in their secondary.

Agreed...I had Cooper making my 53 for this very reason as well, sadly.

But perhaps to play Fangio's scheme, he feels we need smaller guys like Brown, Rogers, Morris, etc...more tactician's than physical?

I hope so...think we need some minor philosophical shifts on the defensive side of the ball as well.
8) Patton: I can't put my finger on it. I can't quite explain exactly why I feel this, but I think this guy is going to be HUGE. He lost most of this season to injuries. He's not real fast and he's not real big, but he's got something. He played so seldom this year that I really don't have any argument to present as "proof" of that, but there is just something about him that makes me think he's going to be something in this league. I love the fact that's he'll be training with Kap in Miami and I like even more that Kap INFORMED him. He didn't ask. LOL. I think Kap may see it too...and I am much happier seeing Kap pal around the offseason with Patton than I was last year with Lockette.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177012-2014-thoughts-upcoming-season/#pwkPQV1CypRU0aOL.99

Patton reminds me of a young Issac Bruce.

Originally posted by barrymartin:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I have a creeping feeling that Sherman will hold out this off season, and IMO he is a fool if he does not. He's playing for pennies given his production and this teams success. He got injured at the end of a blow out in the Super Bowl, his agent has to be grinding him about this already. If Revis is making 13 mill, Sherman can easily ask for 15.

You know what's interesting about this is that I was talking to a "real" Hawk fan about this. Sherman can bolt for the big pay day and the Hawks would be fine. Seriously. Look how well Maxwell played for them. Thurmond, Browner, etc. They draft big, tall - 6'1+ CB's who are pissed off and who are very aggressive at the LOS and run much Cover 3. That's it. It's that simple. Nothing more. That's their scheme and that scheme works esp. in Seattle. They can literally plug-n-play. 9 out of 10 times the refs won't call anything more than a 5 yard pre-pass holding call anyhow (NOT a P.I.). It's genius. Remember the years and years of discussions on whether the player made the WCO or was it the scheme that made the player....plug-n-play! We never missed a beat...

Brilliant quote. They found a simple way that utilizes the current rules environment to wreak havoc on most passing games which rely on timing and route precision. They hold more often than not and beat receivers up within 5 yards. Yes, they have drafted some amazing DB's, and their scheme is best in the NFL.

Totally agree.

I just mentioned in my previous post that I noticed last year that the 49ers were looking alot at taller corners. Marcus Cooper. Nnamdi. Even Sean Smith who they had interest in.

They may load up on tall corners in early may and see if they can replicate what seattle has done in their secondary.

Agreed...I had Cooper making my 53 for this very reason as well, sadly.

But perhaps to play Fangio's scheme, he feels we need smaller guys like Brown, Rogers, Morris, etc...more tactician's than physical?

I hope so...think we need some minor philosophical shifts on the defensive side of the ball as well.

A lot of people hate on Seattle's style of play but I happen to think their schemes are effin brilliant and genius - they've turned a group of low round picks into stars and assembled one of the best defense backfields of all time. Just imagine what our defense would look like with our front 7 plus dominant a secondary. Hell yeah I hope we bite! Definitely wouldn't miss Rogers or the off coverage schemes we play far too often.
Marvin, NCommand AB81. I always enjoy your thoughts.

With Joe Montana and Steve Young, over the course of 18 years (or so) we won the NFC Conference game only 5 times. We were right there to win the whole thing nearly that entire 18 year stretch. But what I remembered from then is the "ball must bounce your way". 13 times it didn't.

We don't have Eddie D. out spending the NFL teams, nor a coach unleashing the never seen before West Coast Offense WITH Joe Montana.

But we are right there, at the very same door again, knocked 3 times ......it is driving some nuts. We will be knocking at the door in the foreseeable future and the ball will bounce our way soon. The negativity too many here espouse, seem like we are all from the "instant gratification" generation. Too put this team in bad light we have to compare us to our legendary teams of last century?
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Marvin, NCommand AB81. I always enjoy your thoughts.

With Joe Montana and Steve Young, over the course of 18 years (or so) we won the NFC Conference game only 5 times. We were right there to win the whole thing nearly that entire 18 year stretch. But what I remembered from then is the "ball must bounce your way". 13 times it didn't.

We don't have Eddie D. out spending the NFL teams, nor a coach unleashing the never seen before West Coast Offense WITH Joe Montana.

But we are right there, at the very same door again, knocked 3 times ......it is driving some nuts. We will be knocking at the door in the foreseeable future and the ball will bounce our way soon. The negativity too many here espouse, seem like we are all from the "instant gratification" generation. Too put this team in bad light we have to compare us to our legendary teams of last century?

Good point. Wow 5 times in 18 years.. great point! I know (and i think seattle knows) that we are the better team with higher potential, but this year was just Seattle's year. I don't know where it came from but they were focused all year long.. we were not.

That said, we have to have patience, but we won't necessarily get 18 years to do it. We can't think in those terms, we have to think that each year is our last chance, and losing just simply can't happen.
[ Edited by tondiman on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by tondiman:
Good point. Wow 5 times in 18 years.. great point! I know (and i think seattle knows) that we are the better team with higher potential, but this year was just Seattle's year. I don't know where it came from but they were focused all year long.. we were not.

That said, we have to have patience, but we won't necessarily get 18 years to do it. We can't think in those terms, we have to think that each year is our last chance, and losing just simply can't happen.

Like I always point out, those 18 years included a three year stretch of one and done, 85, 86 and 87. They also included a four year stretch with three trips to the NFC Championship game in which the Niners lost and one year where the Niners didn't even make the playoffs, 90, 91, 92 and 93.
Interesting post as always. I like the SB 49 reference
Share 49ersWebzone