There are 246 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014: Thoughts on the upcoming season...

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm not feeling confident at all on our Red Zone scoring improvement.

I have zero confidence in JH's play calling in that area of the field.

JH has the final call to Kap.

I agree with you. Every time the 49ers get in the red zone it just seems like they go full potato and forget how to offense. Unfortunately, that is something that jim has to fix and not something that can be fixed wit a certain player. If he cant recognize his flaws and correct them. Then we will always be on the outside looking in. Its times like these i wish he wasn't so stubborn.
Originally posted by Thechamp2987:
Originally posted by English:
Getting a little tired of this window slipping by BS. This is a young team. We have one of the premier (and young) Head Coaches in the league. Whilst we have some older players like Smith and Gore, younger guys are being groomed behind them (Tank and Lattimore, for example). Baalke is proving a master of the off-season and Marathe is right on top of the salary cap. Thanks to Baalke's manoeuvring we continue to get a number of draft picks and, with the exception of one year, they are well used. We are launching at a new stadium this year.

I don't know that it gets much better than this. The Superbowls will come.

I wouldn't say premier coaches as he hasn't been able to get the job done or, win anything . Still a very good coach none the less. However, I do agree that if kap can become a good qb the window will be open for a while I mean look at Tom Brady 5 Super Bowl appearances in 10 plus years. The packers and saints are always going to be contenders bc of Rogers and Brees . I think the 49ers are better than those teams. The problem is the 49ers have to play those games at home in the playoffs bc I don't see them going to n.o. Or Green Bay again and winning let alone winning in Seattle. Can this core win one Super Bowl . They probably can. However, would it be a waste of talent and awesome players if they only when one when it's all said and done. I think so. I just hope Seattle never wins another one.

BS.

No coach had EVER been to the Conference Title game in his first 3 years. Ever. Not even Seifert who inherited a Super Bowl Winner.

They have not yet won the big one, but he's only coached for 3 freakin years. Most new coaches take 3 years just to get their teams into the playoffs.

Not a premiere coach? How much money do you think he'd make if he were out there right now looking for a job? Probably north of 10 mil and would be the highest paid coach in the NFL. As it is, he'll probably get that title anyway in an extension from the 49ers.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
people started to say our "window" is closing on thanksgiving night when we lost to the ravens.
Originally posted by cciowa:
people started to say our "window" is closing on thanksgiving night when we lost to the ravens.

no they didn't

People say that stuff just because Gore and Justin (and Anquan and Goodwin) are getting up there in age.

The problem is that the assumption is that those players will not be replaced. The 49ers have been addressing those player departures in advance and will continue to do so with multiple draft picks.

As I said before, the 49ers have 6 picks in rounds 1-3. Seattle has 2. Seattle fans in particular said the 49ers 2012 draft was proof Baalke didn't know what he was doing. Really? How is 2010, 2011, and 2013 looking? How does Seattles 2013 look right now?

The window is just opening because the most important position on the field is inhabited by a 26 year old phenominal athete who will only improve under Harbaughs watch. People forget what Harbaugh did with Josh Johnson, Andrew Luck, and Alex Smith. Kap will improve. Despite the fact that he is a young player just learning how to play the position in this league he is STILL 4-2 in the playoffs, 3-1 on the road, and was one play from a SB title and one play from another shot at a title...and thats is in his only 2 chances. Does nobody remember Steve Young getting beat by Dallas over and over?

The 49ers are just fine.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
BS.

No coach had EVER been to the Conference Title game in his first 3 years. Ever. Not even Seifert who inherited a Super Bowl Winner.

They have not yet won the big one, but he's only coached for 3 freakin years. Most new coaches take 3 years just to get their teams into the playoffs.

Not a premiere coach? How much money do you think he'd make if he were out there right now looking for a job? Probably north of 10 mil and would be the highest paid coach in the NFL. As it is, he'll probably get that title anyway in an extension from the 49ers.

So, he should be paid higher than pety boy over there up north who just won the Superbowl? Last time i checked he won the big game. He may have went to three conferance games but at the end of the day the 49ers were at home wit the rest of the nfl teams. All I'm saying is win something first before they make him the highest paid coach in the nfl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

no they didn't

uhmm,, yes they did,, alot of rats jumped off the ship that night. the quotes were,, the window is closing, we have been exposed etc etc. and I did not make any of those statements. i said those things late last year before the playoffs
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

no they didn't

uhmm,, yes they did,, alot of rats jumped off the ship that night. the quotes were,, the window is closing, we have been exposed etc etc. and I did not make any of those statements. i said those things late last year before the playoffs

no they didn't 2011 was our first year being relevant again after almost a decade of hell
So, he should be paid higher than pety boy over there up north who just won the Superbowl? Last time i checked he won the big game. He may have went to three conferance games but at the end of the day the 49ers were at home wit the rest of the nfl teams. All I'm saying is win something first before they make him the highest paid coach in the nfl.

BS.

So......in order to be considered a premeire coach you have to be better than the guy who just won the SB?

I'm not saying he should be the top paid coach in the league. I'm saying he WILL BE the highest paid coach in the league.

Your standard is ridiculous. Of course we would rather he'd won the big one, but NOBODY expected three conference championship games in 3 years. NOBODY. To say he ISN'T a premeire coach because he hasn't won a Super Bowl yet is asinine.

Neither did Carroll. Neither did Belichick. Neither did Cowher. Neither did Parcells.

Harbaugh took over a talented team that had won 30 games in 6 years.

In his THREE years he was won 36 games and been on the brink of a SB appearance twice and on the brink of a title once. If that isnt good enough for you to view him as a "premeire coach" I think you need your head examined.
BS.

So......in order to be considered a premeire coach you have to be better than the guy who just won the SB?

I'm not saying he should be the top paid coach in the league. I'm saying he WILL BE the highest paid coach in the league.

Your standard is ridiculous. Of course we would rather he'd won the big one, but NOBODY expected three conference championship games in 3 years. NOBODY. To say he ISN'T a premeire coach because he hasn't won a Super Bowl yet is asinine.

Neither did Carroll. Neither did Belichick. Neither did Cowher. Neither did Parcells.

In his THREE years he was won 36 games and been on the brink of a SB appearance twice and on the brink of a title once. If that isnt good enough for you to view him as a "premeire coach" I think you need your head examined.

Yeah, I can't figure out why people are so down on Harbaugh. The guy is averaging 12 wins a season, has made three straight NFC championship games ... people act like anybody could have come in here and turned that roster into a 12 win team in one off season. The SB is the ultimate goal for the team, but the coach is ultimately responsible for building a sustainable program, developing players, and implementing a positive culture. A coach that can do that will have his team in contention year after year. Harbaugh has done this. He needs to get paid.

Bill Belichick hasn't won a ring in a decade ... so I guess he sucks now? Parcells coached for 15 years and he only won two rings. So he sucked for 13 years? Bill Walsh sucked in 1979 and 1980? Bill Cowher coached for more than a decade before he won his ring - I guess he sucked too for 10 years. Same with Tony Dungy.

Tell me the coach you want instead of Harbaugh.

You are right, going to three NFC championship games and a super bowl loss is nice and all. Don't get me wrong. I am sure a lot of franchises would love to have two NFC championship loses and a super bowl lost. However, if they don't win it then what's the point? It just means that the 49ers are at home where the jaguars, titans and raiders are. A lot of fans here are happy with a NFC championship and super bowl loss. JH is a very good coach. He is a top 10 coach and a strong case could be made for top 5. Winning a lot of regular season games is cool, but they don't give out super bowl trophies for best regular season record.

carroll got about 6 mil per from the hawks in 2010. harbaugh got 5 mil per. carroll just won the sb so now it looks good, but he was a failed coach 2 times in the nfl and was rewarded a very high salary. its not always about rings.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Again Marvin .....

Free pass to scheme and coaching. The 49ers are a run-first team and the running game was not effective nor could we rely on it when we needed to. So either we address HOW we run, or we need more talent at the LOS at the type of scheme we're trying to run. In any case, when the 49ers can't run, they tend to lose. I know I'm critical of the passing game, but let's talk about how the 49ers run.

It can't be our year - any year - if the ground game disappears in the post season. The 49ers can't suddenly become primarily passing team in December when they were a running team (albeit over lesser talented squads) during Sept - November.

Call me crazy but I took Harbaugh's IMMEDIATE comments after the loss about Lattimore as his way to start preparing fans for the end of the Gore-era and ushering in Lattimore. Our running game was predictable and untimely and certainly not one we'd stick with expecting that one or two back-breakers in our favor. The OL was outnumbered esp. on 1st downs and seemed less and less effectives as the season and playoffs progressed. It even seemed "vanilla" given that Roman is supposed to be a running game genius. Instead we had to rely on CK's legs and the standard intermediate passes on 2nd and 3rd and longs. It was tough to watch at times.

People say that stuff just because Gore and Justin (and Anquan and Goodwin) are getting up there in age.

The problem is that the assumption is that those players will not be replaced. The 49ers have been addressing those player departures in advance and will continue to do so with multiple draft picks.

As I said before, the 49ers have 6 picks in rounds 1-3. Seattle has 2. Seattle fans in particular said the 49ers 2012 draft was proof Baalke didn't know what he was doing. Really? How is 2010, 2011, and 2013 looking? How does Seattles 2013 look right now?

The window is just opening because the most important position on the field is inhabited by a 26 year old phenominal athete who will only improve under Harbaughs watch. People forget what Harbaugh did with Josh Johnson, Andrew Luck, and Alex Smith. Kap will improve. Despite the fact that he is a young player just learning how to play the position in this league he is STILL 4-2 in the playoffs, 3-1 on the road, and was one play from a SB title and one play from another shot at a title...and thats is in his only 2 chances. Does nobody remember Steve Young getting beat by Dallas over and over?

The 49ers are just fine.

Keep in mind throughout his stay at Nevada, Kap got better every year. He is a smart kid and will add on to his game and improve himself every year.