There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

we need to get better at our secondary man to man coverage and death threat at our WR and we should be good
I believe the FO of the team needs to take a good look at their talent evaluation. Not that I'm saying it's been 100% bad mind you, but it can always be better. When our biggest rival has plucked two players out of the 5th round and turned them into one half of the NFL's most dominating secondary, it helps me see that our talent evaluation has some holes and thus our team does too, and not just in the secondary
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Feb 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM ]
get a better OC.

QB is a baller I aint worried about him.
Where is the option to "Stop OVER-relying on old players " ??????????? (Carlos Rogers, Whitner, Ray McDonald, Gore). An example of this is Why did they sign Nnamdi instead of giving the younger Cb's a chance like Brock, Cooper, and Morris?? We picked up 2 quick early season losses with Nnamdi on the field. Those quick 2 losses is the reason why we had to play 4 straight road games to end the season.

Why did the team resign Adam Snyder after the cardinals cut him after 1 year? Did they forget how awful he is???? I'm guessing because they felt more comfortable with the 'vet'

I'm seriously thinking the over-reliance on "vets" is what hurt us. Most of the times, these "vets" were the weakest links on the field. It's sad when the team wastes young talent due to conservatism with personnel as well as playcalling.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Where is the option to "Stop OVER-relying on old players " ??????????? (Carlos Rogers, Whitner, Ray McDonald, Gore). An example of this is Why did they sign Nnamdi instead of giving the younger Cb's a chance like Brock, Cooper, and Morris?? We picked up 2 quick early season losses with Nnamdi on the field. Those quick 2 losses is the reason why we had to play 4 straight road games to end the season

1 loss with Nnamdi. We weren't beating Seattle back in week 2 even with Brock starting.
McDonald is only 29 and is underrated. Fangio should learn how to rotate lineman like Carolina and Seattle.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Originally posted by kronik:
Where is the option to "Stop OVER-relying on old players " ??????????? (Carlos Rogers, Whitner, Ray McDonald, Gore). An example of this is Why did they sign Nnamdi instead of giving the younger Cb's a chance like Brock, Cooper, and Morris?? We picked up 2 quick early season losses with Nnamdi on the field. Those quick 2 losses is the reason why we had to play 4 straight road games to end the season

1 loss with Nnamdi. We weren't beating Seattle back in week 2 even with Brock starting.
McDonald is only 29 and is underrated. Fangio should learn how to rotate lineman like Carolina and Seattle.

McDonald is solid, but I seen him get demolished flat on his back much too often this year. Especially against Seattles zone running scheme.
We are not a bad team a few interceptions kept us from going to the Super Bowl so the the first thing I would do is to find a better QB coach, 2nd I would open up the offense & get better depth at the WR position and add some speed to the corp we already have two possesion wr's in Crabtree & bolden. 3rd we need a center and we need another running back who is going to be able to take on some of the load from Frank Gore due to Lamicheal James not playing up to his abilities!!! The defense we need a beast at the nose tackle position and we need to address the cornerback & safety position.
[ Edited by horusking on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]
I love Kaep's game, right now and going forward. But I answered better QB play because we need more consistency from him than we got last year. The good news is he is going to get better because he works so hard. The rare stud physically who works hard in the film room too.

A lot of people are saying we need to be more aggressive, and I do think we get conservative with the lead. But turnovers are the # 1 way to lose games you should win, so I don't want to push our young, raw QB to do too much too soon either. We just need to keep drafting well, Kaep to mature, and continue to let the overpriced FA's leave. We have done all of this since Harbaugh and Trent have been here, and I don't see that not continuing. It SUCKS that we have been at least a top 2-3 team the last 3 years and have no hardware, but it will happen on the path we are on. Tank and Lattimore were both steals IMO, and the depth if not star power they will provide at positions where are starters are getting up there will definitely help. We will win SB 49 or 50 and we will have as good a shot as anyone including Seattle at winning both.
There is no doubt Colin Kaepernick has to be a little better with his decision making... but keep in mind HE SINGLE HANDEDLY kept us in the game against the Seahawks! I just can't live with the fact that you don't at least look off a LB or DB off to open up the 1-1 coverage vs. Sherman. Not to mention - Frank Gore (11 carries, 14 yds???) That isn't going to cut it. We basically almost beat Seattle on the legs and arm of Kaepernick, with no supplemental running game. This is a CRUCIAL offseason for Kaepernick... forget hitting the weights, this guy needs to study game tape. With that said, I think Kaep will progress again this year and there is no f'in way that if we get down to the wire again (next year) like we did last year... that ball is not going to be thrown to Crabtree. I have to believe Harbaugh and staff are smart enough to call a timeout, or whatever it may be. I have faith in Coach Harbaugh and staff that this play will be analyzed to death. We were 7 yards away from a Superbowl win vs. the Ravens and 18 yards away from being in another Super Bowl.

Our defense is top notch... in fact, one could argue our defense was much better then 2012's squad. Let's face it... the 2012 playoffs, we did not play great. Yes, Kaep ran all over Green Bay but it took us a while to put those guys away. In the NFC championship game, we were down 17-0? Came back and won that... In the Super Bowl, we were down 28-6 at halftime correct? Our defense didn't play like it played in 2013. I think with the additions of Tank, Ian Williams, and an improved secondary... we will be there again. (YES, WE NEED SOME YOUNGER, FASTER, BETTER DB's) I like Brock and Culliver, both physical corners and are aggressive but I think we need one more. Carlos Rogers needs to go! I think our secondary needs a bit of work to mimic Seattle's. Richard Sherman/Byron Maxwell and Kam Chancellor were all late round picks. We have had success finding DB's in later rounds.

My vote to get us over the top is an improved secondary and a deep threat WR. When I say deep threat WR, I mean kickoff/punt returner also. In the past 2 Super bowls, a kickoff returning threat has made a huge impact on the Super Bowl. See Jacoby Jones/Percy Harvin! I think it's also important Lattimore steps up to the plate and develops. Kendall Hunter & LaMichael James did basically nothing all year. LaMichael improved the kickoff unit, and I think he was close to breaking one but it just never developed. Gore has 1 more good year in him but I think as the season went on, he wore down. As should be expected.

Lattimore development/Improved secondary/Deep Threat WR
Well, I see a lot of posters have put some serious thought into this subject. Here's my "two-cents"

1) Stay more healthy
2) Be more consistent in pass-blocking
3) Adjust their gameplan to the talent (Keap is not Alex Smith, time to realize it and move on)
4) Figure out the receiving issue. Fact is, I DON'T believe the Seahawks have better receiving talent; they just do a better job coaching their receivers. In all the areas the 49ers coaching staff has excelled, this is the one where they desperately need help. Part if it is talent, but a lot of the problem is how they adjust and get the most out of that talent.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM ]
Not to be complacent, but the Seahawks routed two out of three teams they played in postseason. The Seahawks barely beat the Niners in the NFC Championship Game. Seattle needed all three of the 49ers' fourth-quarter turnovers. So it would be nice to have Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, JJ Watt, and Jadeveon Clowney, but all the 49ers really need to do is hold onto the football. If San Francisco had eliminated just one of those fourth-quarter turnovers, Seattle wouldn't have been playing yesterday.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JohnLawsonIII:
Not to be complacent, but the Seahawks routed two out of three teams they played in postseason. The Seahawks barely beat the Niners in the NFC Championship Game. Seattle needed all three of the 49ers' fourth-quarter turnovers. So it would be nice to have Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, JJ Watt, and Jadeveon Clowney, but all the 49ers really need to do is hold onto the football. If San Francisco had eliminated just one of those fourth-quarter turnovers, Seattle wouldn't have been playing yesterday.

we have to get better in the secondary, we have to get a bit more speed with the wide out game, we have to be more consistent with our pass blocking and pass rushing areas. the biggest key of them all is a coach who i am done talking about because as long as he is here, i have no confidence we can take that next step and win the super bowl. hell we were knocking on the door last year and you saw what took place

TRUTH. We could take this same team, with maybe one or two small changes and blow the doors off any team in the NFL. We are not far away we are knee deep in the mix to win the Super Bowl.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
We have too many picks and too good of a team.TRADE FOR AN IMPACT PLAYER AND TAKE A CHANCE! the clock is ticking....
Originally posted by cciowa:

we have to get better in the secondary, we have to get a bit more speed with the wide out game, we have to be more consistent with our pass blocking and pass rushing areas. the biggest key of them all is a coach who i am done talking about because as long as he is here, i have no confidence we can take that next step and win the super bowl. hell we were knocking on the door last year and you saw what took place

I think we can get over the hump and make it to the Super Bowl next year but yeah, we got work to do this off season. Changes must be made.

Kap needs to take a big step in his development as a QB and HaRoman must open up the playbook. The offense must evolve now. The oline regressed and fell off IMO. I hope they can return to their dominance and improve their pass blocking (especially Davis).

We need to have a good draft in May. We need to add more speed/red zone target in the WR core and impact players for the secondary and maybe C as well.

And hopefully the Tank and Lattimore picks from last year can be everything we all hope they can be. That'd be sweet.