There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
NFC WEST = SEC.

With PAC-10 coaches(Harbaugh and Caroll)
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I don't think there's one true answer to this question, but KNBR did bring up a pretty good point this morning. Trent Baalke pretty much whiffed on the 2012 draft while his counterpart up in Seattle brought home the bacon.

It takes career years from a lot of players and a little bit of luck to do what the She-Hawks did yesterday. And they got those career years in droves. Seattle will be a very tough team to beat next year -- even at home where we normally beat them.

They are simply better than we are in a number of areas. They have better corners. They have better safeties. They have a better return game if Harvin can stay healthy. They have wide receivers who can outrace defenders or run right through them. Wilson was a better clutch QB than CK7 this year. And CK7 was damn good in the clutch. Marshawn is a better RB than Gore at this point in his career.

As good as the 49er defense is -- and it's damn good -- it's not as good as Seattle's.

So -- enough with the "I hope we can resign everyone" crap. Based upon what Seattle did, we need to upgrade in a few areas this off-season. Baalke really needs to have a good draft. The pressure's on. The clock is ticking.

Seattle will obviously have a damn good shot of repeating if they remain healthy most of the year, but there is that little thing that people wanna talk about called regression to the mean. That's very didn't seem to really affect us last couple years so it probably won't really be a factor with them either I'm just hoping that it is. They managed to basically scrape by in four or five games last season when they had a patchwork offensive line and some other such crap for part of the season. IDK just hoping the injury bug hits them in a couple of key skill positions as it did with our team this past season.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Raul98:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Its all on Kaep,
Come on we don't need stuff like that.There's a lot of holes on this team not fair to put it on one person.

This team has very few holes.
No deep threat at receiver QB, who locks onto one receiver, terrible clock management, no killer instinct, lack of pass rush at times, questionable secondary, bad offensive game plan by Roman, that sounds like a lot of holes.
Score TDs in the redzone.

Consistently.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
1) Kaepernick needs to play smarter and less mistakes. Low football IQ. Enough of this playground football crap. Spend some time this offseason astudying game film. You can work out as hard as you can, but in the end you need to need use your brain.

2) Fire Eric Mangini

3) Greg Roman needs to get his out of his ass

4) Seahawks have shown they win with young players and the GM has done an excellent job. Trent Balkes drafts have been terrible..What is it?.One or two quality players in the last three years. Players from the Nolan era are getting older and your clock is ticking Trent. You suck.

5) Harbaugh needs to know when to over rule dumb plays like the last pass in Seattle or least call time out.
people have been saying that about bullet point number three for two years, what makes you think he will. i am done talking about roman and there is nothing more to say about him. the niners need faster wide outs, they need better corners, they need to get younger at safety and center. you can get all the quick and great players possible but it does not mean squat when you have a coach who does not know how to use them
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I don't think there's one true answer to this question, but KNBR did bring up a pretty good point this morning. Trent Baalke pretty much whiffed on the 2012 draft while his counterpart up in Seattle brought home the bacon.

It takes career years from a lot of players and a little bit of luck to do what the She-Hawks did yesterday. And they got those career years in droves. Seattle will be a very tough team to beat next year -- even at home where we normally beat them.

They are simply better than we are in a number of areas. They have better corners. They have better safeties. They have a better return game if Harvin can stay healthy. They have wide receivers who can outrace defenders or run right through them. Wilson was a better clutch QB than CK7 this year. And CK7 was damn good in the clutch. Marshawn is a better RB than Gore at this point in his career.

As good as the 49er defense is -- and it's damn good -- it's not as good as Seattle's.

So -- enough with the "I hope we can resign everyone" crap. Based upon what Seattle did, we need to upgrade in a few areas this off-season. Baalke really needs to have a good draft. The pressure's on. The clock is ticking.

It's also on Harbaugh. He doesn't get a free pass. The difference between losing a championship by inches 3 seasons in a row is the difference between good coaching and great coaching. Yes as much as Baalkee needs to upgrade in areas, the coaching needs that also. Decisions like going with Carlos Rogers when he hadn't been effective in weeks, not calling a time out during the last few seconds of any game, redzone production, a running game - regardless of back - that is completely stuffed when it needed to be great, and something needs to be done about Anthony Davis in pass protection (help, practice, coaching but something).
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's also on Harbaugh. He doesn't get a free pass. The difference between losing a championship by inches 3 seasons in a row is the difference between good coaching and great coaching. Yes as much as Baalkee needs to upgrade in areas, the coaching needs that also. Decisions like going with Carlos Rogers when he hadn't been effective in weeks, not calling a time out during the last few seconds of any game, redzone production, a running game - regardless of back - that is completely stuffed when it needed to be great, and something needs to be done about Anthony Davis in pass protection (help, practice, coaching but something).
careful, when you dare to be critical of JH and roman you get accused of wanting nolan back. GM said nothing wrong in my opinion. the coaches pick the worst time to back down on offense and defense
Originally posted by TheRealDTM:
Hi niners fans,

I'm a seahawks fan, obvious to say i'm happy with our win tonight. However there is a line of thought that you all deserve to know. I was watching the game with a non-football fan who also watched the NFCCG, he immediatley realized that the superbowl was a joke from the first snap. I was sweating bricks while he was honestly complaining about how boring this game was going to be. The reason I say this is because as the game went on we both agreed the NFCCG was the championship, either team would have destroyed the broncos. The seahawks and 49ers are 1.a and 1.b, we make the rest of the league look like a joke.

You guys don't need to change your roster, if you keep it the same you have a 50% chance of going to the superbowl every year (depends on HFA).

Go NFC West

Very well said young man! Congrats on the win and looking forward to trying to take the division back next year. Last night confirmed we definitely were the 2nd best team this year. Enjoy it, you guys had a great year, NFC west dominates right now...
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
Order of importance:

1. Open up the offense:
2. Better play at QB position
3. Sure up secondary:
with two CB and a SS in the draft
4. Top notch WR
and please, no more guys who cannot pull their weight at the LOS
5. Break away RB
but if we open up the offense we already have that guy on the roster (LMJ)
6. Sure up O-line
7. New OC
Not ready to go that far yet

8. Root for Seattle injuries
Lets not start wishing for peoples to be hurt

Get a new OC, new modern Pass attack system with a west coast flair.
It's a little bit of everything. Better plays from QB, better pass protections, open up the Offense, improve passing game. And for the love of God, why the F are our CBs getting beat by nobodies at the worst possible time like 3rd and 8, especially the slot guy? And, why are our CBs playing 8-10 yrds away from the WRs? We need a WR and a CB that will put fears into our opposing team.
Definitely need to upgrade our corners. Harvin looks fast a s**t. We can't count on him missing games again next season.
An improved Kaepernick is an obvious one. He was still learning this year and I expect him to make strides again this coming year.

As far as talent additions and such, we need to maintain a dominant defense. I personally feel we need to cut Rogers and use the money to re-sign Whitner. Re-sign Wright at a cheap deal for depth. Draft CB, S, and LB for depth. On offense, acquire upgrades at C and WR for the future.
the draft will be crucial to our success this upcoming season, if we draft wisely, there should be no reason to go spend big money in free agency, getting consistent production out of our homegrown players early in the season would be a great start