There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

1) Kaepernick needs to play smarter and less mistakes. Low football IQ. Enough of this playground football crap. Spend some time this offseason astudying game film. You can work out as hard as you can, but in the end you need to need use your brain.

2) Fire Eric Mangini

3) Greg Roman needs to get his out of his ass

4) Seahawks have shown they win with young players and the GM has done an excellent job. Trent Balkes drafts have been terrible..What is it?.One or two quality players in the last three years. Players from the Nolan era are getting older and your clock is ticking Trent. You suck.

5) Harbaugh needs to know when to over rule dumb plays like the last pass in Seattle or least call time out.
This team has zero killer instinct, especially against teams that match or exceed us is physicality. We saw this with the 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, and now 2013 Seahawks - all teams that had that distinct killer instinct to totally force their will and win it all. I just haven't seen that with this team and it starts with the coaching - they need to toughen up and be more aggressive.

I'm sick of this team being perfectly fine settling for FGs instead of scoring a touchdown. Or when we gain significant lead, they get soft instead of keeping the gas on the pedal until game over. As much as I give the coaches credit for getting us this far, they also deserve a lot of blame for blowing it in critical situations and not doing enough to win it all. Winning 10+ games a season and NFC championship appearances are great but I want something to show for it. I guess I won't really be fully satisfied until we win a ring and can honestly say we were THE BEST instead of just second best every year.
Time to take the kiddie wheels off the offense. This conservative approach of playing for FGs needs to end. Now, there is a lot of gray area here because they also need to continue keeping Kaepernick protected during the regular season and then unleashing him in the playoffs. They need to let Kap run but he needs to make the decision to be a sissy and do a lot of sliding and running out of bounds... because we all know teams will try to injure him. Even a 3 yard run and slide is better than throwing the ball out of bounds or forcing a bad pass into coverage while on the run. (unless of course it is 3rd and 4). Opening up the offense also means one thing people don't want to hear... demoting or cutting Gore. He is only running effectively between the tackles and that lets defenses "cheat" so much... they get to run blitz and pass blitz at the same time without any fear of getting burned by an edge run. You wonder why we don't see those quick slants or screen passes... well.. it is because of Gore and how defenses crowd the box with him in there.

The last piece of opening up the offense is finding a burner on the outside that can get behind the DBs and pick up large chunks of yards. It is more than a little ridiculous that VD is the team's biggest deep threat. Boldin and Crabs are great at what they do... but the 49ers need that outside threat so badly. Gosh, just having Moss out there opened up so much for Crabtree.. Moss wasn't doing anything statistically but they were still giving him a lot of attention because on film he was showing he could take the top off the defense. He hated it... but he was a great decoy in 2012.
Move to the AFC West,
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
This team has zero killer instinct, especially against teams that match or exceed us is physicality. We saw this with the 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, and now 2013 Seahawks - all teams that had that distinct killer instinct to totally force their will and win it all. I just haven't seen that with this team and it starts with the coaching - they need to toughen up and be more aggressive.

I'm sick of this team being perfectly fine settling for FGs instead of scoring a touchdown. Or when we gain significant lead, they get soft instead of keeping the gas on the pedal until game over. As much as I give the coaches credit for getting us this far, they also deserve a lot of blame for blowing it in critical situations and not doing enough to win it all. Winning 10+ games a season and NFC championship appearances are great but I want something to show for it. I guess I won't really be fully satisfied until we win a ring and can honestly say we were THE BEST instead of just second best every year.

The FG thing is driving me nuts. It has definitely gotten better than the 52 attempted in 2011, 42 attempted in 2012, and the 36 attempted this year... but there are still so many times where it is so obvious that they are playing for the FG and decide it is too risky to go for the endzone. Sadly, we have seen this in the 1st Quarter and on opening drives. I don't know if Harbaugh is capable of it but he definitely needs to find that guy who was willing to run the score up on opponents and get crybaby coaches to say, Whats your deal?
Let's get serious here. The Niners need serious, elite speed on the outside and more targets if they want to enhance the passing game and continue their program of making Kaepernick into a polished pocket passer. That's all they really need on offense. They're fine at TE, they might need a little depth on the line and with Lattimore coming up and Bruce Miller coming back, I think they'll be fine at RB.

On defense, they need at least one stud corner and a SS who has better coverage skills. Up front they've got Carradine, Dial and Ian Williams coming back. Bowman is a big question mark, but Wilhoit played fabulously for Willis when he was out this year. Bowman should be back by the middle of the season.

They can get everything they need with a good draft. This class is very heavy with receivers, there are quite a few good corners and there are three or four strong safeties who will be there into the third round and have more speed and coverage skill than Donte Whitner.
We need to be able to nullify Seattle's D-line; they worked us over during the NFCG and we almost won. We also need to improve our defense. I don't think it was championship caliber this time around due to our weak secondary and inconsistent pass rush. I hate to say it, but Manning would have fared much better against our D-line. I'm not saying they would have won but they probably don't get blown out especially with us missing Bowman.
Its all on Kaep,
Originally posted by valrod33:
Its all on Kaep,
Come on we don't need stuff like that.There's a lot of holes on this team not fair to put it on one person.
Statistically, their worst categories were Pass Offense (30th) and Pass Defense (7th)

So, I'd say their 1st tier glaring needs are: WR and CB

Followed by: G/Cand SS
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Its all on Kaep,

I guess the other 52 players don't matter?
I don't think there's one true answer to this question, but KNBR did bring up a pretty good point this morning. Trent Baalke pretty much whiffed on the 2012 draft while his counterpart up in Seattle brought home the bacon.

It takes career years from a lot of players and a little bit of luck to do what the She-Hawks did yesterday. And they got those career years in droves. Seattle will be a very tough team to beat next year -- even at home where we normally beat them.

They are simply better than we are in a number of areas. They have better corners. They have better safeties. They have a better return game if Harvin can stay healthy. They have wide receivers who can outrace defenders or run right through them. Wilson was a better clutch QB than CK7 this year. And CK7 was damn good in the clutch. Marshawn is a better RB than Gore at this point in his career.

As good as the 49er defense is -- and it's damn good -- it's not as good as Seattle's.

So -- enough with the "I hope we can resign everyone" crap. Based upon what Seattle did, we need to upgrade in a few areas this off-season. Baalke really needs to have a good draft. The pressure's on. The clock is ticking.
A Wr who is faster than our TE and a OC capable of being aggressive with our passing attack.
We need a pyhsical big CB. I love Whitner but he's slow in coverage. We need a stout center too. not too impressed with goodwin. we can upgrade. Our o-line was suspect this yr.
defensive backfield is our main weakness. sorry but it showed the last couple of weeks, especially in the NFC Championship. Whitner looked slow. Rogers will be gone. Reid made a bad play on the lynch td but he's a rookie, and was stout for the most part.

Don't get me wrong Whitner is fantastic in the run, but man he killed us a few times this year in blown coverage
Originally posted by Raul98:
Its all on Kaep,
Come on we don't need stuff like that.There's a lot of holes on this team not fair to put it on one person.

This team has very few holes.