LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What do the 49ers need to be a better team?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
We are a Brooks shoulder-level tackle away from holding the Lombardi.

That's the truth.
Everybody's down on Roman. When we are tied or ahead he seems to play for field goals but when we are behind he opens it up and we play for TD's and move the ball more effectively. He did it with Alex Smith and now with Kap. We have a 100 ways to run the ball but the passing attack seems very vanilla.

Ask this.Does Harbaugh know what seems so obvious to all of us? Of course he does. If he wanted more passing there would be more passing. If he wanted us to stop playing it safe for field goals we would. It's his team, his hand picked OC and his hand picked QB. If he wanted more screen passes, more swing passes, more stacked receivers, more pass plays with imagination he would make it happen. In the end Roman is doing it the way Harbaugh wants him to.

I would complain but this is the best team and coaches we have had in over a decade so I am just going to hope they improve. Kap is young and can develop. Alex Smith was awful his 1st couple years. So was Steve Young. Hopefully we go in to this season with a real receiving core instead of 1 receiver and a bunch of cast offs like years past. It's been over a decade since we started the 1st game of the season with 2 legitimate starting WR's. Crabtree's injury killed us. After he and Patton came back we reeled off the last 6 straight regular season wins and 2 straight road play off wins. Not bad. We almost beat seattle, in seattle while wearing ear plugs and if the refs call the game properly I think we win it.

All is not lost. We were 1 win during the season from being the #1 seed in the NFC, a bye week and Home Field Advantage. We have 2 players from last years draft yet to play Lattimore and Carradine plus 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of this draft. That's 9 players drafted in the 1st 4 rounds to join an already talented and very deep team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That's the truth.

Yeah at the time i stated that the b******te call will cost us the division. And it did.

There were so many other close calls as well....Deangelo Williams fumbling, Shaub full retard pick 6, Rams full retard goal line fail, tampa bay 21-0 lead or some s**t like that....

But then again we had our close calls as well (bowman pick 6 and Kap's near int to micah hyde).
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:22 AM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Everybody's down on Roman. When we are tied or ahead he seems to play for field goals but when we are behind he opens it up and we play for TD's and move the ball more effectively. He did it with Alex Smith and now with Kap. We have a 100 ways to run the ball but the passing attack seems very vanilla.

Ask this.Does Harbaugh know what seems so obvious to all of us? Of course he does. If he wanted more passing there would be more passing. If he wanted us to stop playing it safe for field goals we would. It's his team, his hand picked OC and his hand picked QB. If he wanted more screen passes, more swing passes, more stacked receivers, more pass plays with imagination he would make it happen. In the end Roman is doing it the way Harbaugh wants him to.

I would complain but this is the best team and coaches we have had in over a decade so I am just going to hope they improve. Kap is young and can develop. Alex Smith was awful his 1st couple years. So was Steve Young. Hopefully we go in to this season with a real receiving core instead of 1 receiver and a bunch of cast offs like years past. It's been over a decade since we started the 1st game of the season with 2 legitimate starting WR's. Crabtree's injury killed us. After he and Patton came back we reeled off the last 6 straight regular season wins and 2 straight road play off wins. Not bad. We almost beat seattle, in seattle while wearing ear plugs and if the refs call the game properly I think we win it.

All is not lost. We were 1 win during the season from being the #1 seed in the NFC, a bye week and Home Field Advantage. We have 2 players from last years draft yet to play Lattimore and Carradine plus 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds of this draft. That's 9 players drafted in the 1st 4 rounds to join an already talented and very deep team.

Absolutely. I've said all along that we are in great shape, regardless of the salary cap casualties. We have a ton of draft picks and a bunch of raw second year players who will improve greatly in year two, many of them were PUPs. We are going to get young really fast, and I think it will work out for us well.

Levi's is going to give us an adrenaline shot of energy next year too.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

That's the truth.

Yeah at the time i stated that the b******te call will cost us the division. And it did.

There were so many other close calls as well....Deangelo Williams fumbling, Shaub full retard pick 6, Rams full retard goal line fail, tampa bay 21-0 lead or some s**t like that....

But then again we had our close calls as well (bowman pick 6 and Kap's near int to micah hyde).

The Brooks call is the only one I really care about for some reason. I've seen many many bad calls over the years, but this one is the one call, where I feel we were truly robbed of a game.

At first I thought some idiot made a personal foul after the play, but nope, the idiot official just took the game away from us on a rule that only serves to PRETEND to help players.
On that same note, notice how many helmet to helmet collisions there were in the Super Bowl? Rightly or wrongly, none of those were penalties. But the point is, you are not going to eliminate those types of hits by stealing critical games away from Super Bowl contenders with your childish "statement" penalty calls.

That penalty made a statement. That is all Goodell cares about. It got national attention and it said to the world, "We care about player safety, see?" The fact that they are willing to alter the course of a critical game from two Super Bowl contenders, showed how much they "care".

Missing a call is one thing, but making a b******t political statement, at our expense, by using a COMPLETELY HARMLESS tackle, is too much to swallow.
The biggest thing we need is a fast deep threat WR. I like Allen Robinson from Penn State. I say trade up to get the best option at WR as well as a big speedy corner. Percy Harvin was the x-factor for Seattle. It seems like both teams are gearing up to beat one another. In the long run I'd extend Kaep and Aldon Smith before I would Crabs. Let Crabs play out his contract year to see if he truly deserves to paid like a big time WR.

Also, congrats to Seattle on totally dominating the #1 Broncos offense. It hurts to give credit to a bunch of big mouths, but they backed it up on the field. Now lets stomps their asses next season and win #6!
Originally posted by dfs144:
The biggest thing we need is a fast deep threat WR. I like Allen Robinson from Penn State. I say trade up to get the best option at WR as well as a big speedy corner. Percy Harvin was the x-factor for Seattle. It seems like both teams are gearing up to beat one another. In the long run I'd extend Kaep and Aldon Smith before I would Crabs. Let Crabs play out his contract year to see if he truly deserves to paid like a big time WR.

Also, congrats to Seattle on totally dominating the #1 Broncos offense. It hurts to give credit to a bunch of big mouths, but they backed it up on the field. Now lets stomps their asses next season and win #6!

Crab and Boldin both are not essential long term IMO. And are perhaps a mismanagement of salary cap dollars. While they are both great possession WR's and have great hands and fight for the ball they are both slow. We could really use more speed. I would not overpay for either. Especially Boldin since he is getting older. Are they good and a luxury? Yes. We NEED QB, Pass rusher, O Line, Secondary. Obviously you don't want to lose both in 1 year and you need to draft to replace them. But I don't think we need them. Maybe one. That would probably be Crab as he is younger but he will bust our cap. I would not overpay at Boldins age.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Crab and Boldin both are not essential long term IMO. And are perhaps a mismanagement of salary cap dollars. While they are both great possession WR's and have great hands and fight for the ball they are both slow. We could really use more speed. I would not overpay for either. Especially Boldin since he is getting older. Are they good and a luxury? Yes. We NEED QB, Pass rusher, O Line, Secondary. Obviously you don't want to lose both in 1 year and you need to draft to replace them. But I don't think we need them. Maybe one. That would probably be Crab as he is younger but he will bust our cap. I would not overpay at Boldins age.

100% agree. I think that drafting is the key, but the big question is when will they bring in a better WR coach that can actually develope talent instead of squander it?
AJ Jenkins was a first rounder, what the hell was wrong with him?

I wanted Denver to win> I didn't think they would. Last year I prayed it would be Denver facing us. We would have killed them. If seattle had to win at least we saw Manning humiliated and Sherman leave on a cart.

That's the truth.

The Brooks call is the only one I really care about for some reason. I've seen many many bad calls over the years, but this one is the one call, where I feel we were truly robbed of a game.

At first I thought some idiot made a personal foul after the play, but nope, the idiot official just took the game away from us on a rule that only serves to PRETEND to help players.
On that same note, notice how many helmet to helmet collisions there were in the Super Bowl? Rightly or wrongly, none of those were penalties. But the point is, you are not going to eliminate those types of hits by stealing critical games away from Super Bowl contenders with your childish "statement" penalty calls.

That penalty made a statement. That is all Goodell cares about. It got national attention and it said to the world, "We care about player safety, see?" The fact that they are willing to alter the course of a critical game from two Super Bowl contenders, showed how much they "care".

Missing a call is one thing, but making a b******t political statement, at our expense, by using a COMPLETELY HARMLESS tackle, is too much to swallow.
Yeah i agree. I went ape s**t when they made that call. I thought the game was over and then they call a form tackle a penalty because Drew Brees is a pencil dick.

I've seen hits WAY harder then that on Kap this year with no calls. Plus all the bogus calls on whitner.

Not to add salt to the wound but that play where bowman tore his knee.....Reid went in for the kill and instead of lowering his head into (Kearse's?) upper body, he went low, driving both players into bowman's knee. In any other year, Reid goes high to the head to stop him there and eeryone walks away because they have helmets on.....

100% agree. I think that drafting is the key, but the big question is when will they bring in a better WR coach that can actually develope talent instead of squander it?
AJ Jenkins was a first rounder, what the hell was wrong with Baalke?

Jenkins sucked but I fixed your post.

He did not really suck in college to be fair. And he had an excellent combine too. Yes it did not work out. Hindsight is 20/20.

He did not really suck in college to be fair. And he had an excellent combine too. Yes it did not work out. Hindsight is 20/20.

He asked what was wrong with jenkins. Guys who get drafted don't usually suck in college, not even undrafted guys. But jenkins sucked from day one. He couldn't even stay on his feet.

Yes hindsight is 20/20 but drafting him that high was a mistake. Baalke gets credit for his good picks like Aldon but he bares the responsibility of that disaster known as the 2012 draft.t
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:49 AM ]

To be fair Jenkins was average in college also. I watched a lot of Illini games. He's a poor poor mans version of Mike Wallace.
[ Edited by socalfan21 on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone