LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

What talent have the 49ers really added in the past couple years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Originally posted by crabman82:
take a look at seattles last draft, they got next to nothing out of it like we did with the 2012 class. hard for rookies to crack a line up thats fairly complete.

Exactly.We have too many draft picks to actually have everyone make the team.We should have gone harder for Gordon or make a good trade and take a chance.The window is closing...

There is no window.

yeah the window isnt closing. it closes when the qb gets old and the coachs message gets tuned out. it is closing for guys like justin and frank and some of the other who hit that 30 year old mark. i see how some sense it is closing, but really its just starting to close for those guys who were brought in under noaln/sing/scotty mac.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
take a look at seattles last draft, they got next to nothing out of it like we did with the 2012 class. hard for rookies to crack a line up thats fairly complete.

Exactly.We have too many draft picks to actually have everyone make the team.We should have gone harder for Gordon or make a good trade and take a chance.The window is closing...

There is no window.

yeah the window isnt closing. it closes when the qb gets old and the coachs message gets tuned out. it is closing for guys like justin and frank and some of the other who hit that 30 year old mark. i see how some sense it is closing, but really its just starting to close for those guys who were brought in under noaln/sing/scotty mac.

Ok to be more specific the window for Gore and Justin Smith.Two guys who I want to get a ring.I know we are a contender for the forseeable future.My "window" refers to the players on their last legs here

There is no window.

Ok to be more specific the window for Gore and Justin Smith.Two guys who I want to get a ring.I know we are a contender for the forseeable future.My "window" refers to the players on their last legs here

well in all honesty we have s**t the bed on 3 really good chances. theres a very good chance those 2 dont get a ring and we look back on it years after as a big let down. yeah it sucks, but it is what it is. much better than being denver right now, talk about a window closing.

There is no window.

For the team, the window remains wide open.

There is no window.

Yes...but RB and DE play positions where the 49ers are investing heavily in the Draft and Free Agency. Yes...I want to get those guys a ring as well, but the 49ers can't think on the "Justin and Frank clock". They know they have to rollover those two positions in the very near future.

RB: Dixon, Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore all in just the last 4 years.
DE: Carradine, Dial, and Dorsey (don't be surprised if Glenn Doesey at some point ends up playing 3-4 DE...that's the position he played in KC)

The 49ers know where their age is. While some say the 49ers are getting "long in the tooth" (Usually Seattle fans) and other complain that the 49ers "take players who don't play" (Usually confused 49ers fans), the 49ers have and use the luxury of not needing the replacements for those players right away so they can bargain shop injured players with huge potential. So quickly do people forget why Frank Gore was available in the 3rd round to begin with. Ray McDonald fell in the draft because he had knee issues.

There are no guarantees here. Maybe Lattimore and Carradine don't work out. My bet is the 49ers take more injured players THIS year (like Easley from Florida). My bet is also that they take another RB (and again, I really like Andre Williams...he has blocking and receiving issues, but that why we have Tom Rathman).

One last note on Frank and Justin...I don't think Frank is going anywhere...or at least not for long. Baalke talks with Frank because he trusts Franks opinion on players. My guess that Frank either retires in the next few years and comes to work for Trent or leaves and goes elsewhere for a few years before he comes to work for Trent. Just my opinion though...nothing to back it up...but I think Frank will be a 49er lifer. Hell, he was a 49er fan before he was drafted.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
chippy= the window is closing . god i hate both of those expressions with a passion
English is right on the money. The "window" thing is more a function of particular players than it is for a team. But to get to the original question of what talent the team has added, Boldin, Reid, McDonald, Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Lemonier, Quinton Patton, Joe Looney, LMJ, Fleming. Admittedly, the 2012 draft looks pretty dismal, but the 2013 might end up being an incredible draft.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
chippy= the window is closing . god i hate both of those expressions with a passion

Ok the door is closing,the sun is setting,the curtains are being drawn.

Lol I guess I used the wrong wording and got everybody
riled up
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone