There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I did not know there is special provision in franchise tag for qb's.

According to an article today, there are special provisions for qb's and the franchise tag. Bascially the Niners can keep franchising CK7 through the 2017 season.

2014- present contract 1 million
2015- tag 16 million
2016 tag 21 million
2017 tag 25 million (assuming a 20% bump)

essentially a four year 15.75 million dollar per year
three year 12.5 million dollar deal
two year- 8.5 million per year.

I personally think they will offer him a 3 year 45 million dollar deal, which gives CK7 a premium to the franchise offers and lets him feel valued. If he balks they can do the above and wait and see if he is worth the money.

If the 49ers and Kaepernick can't get to an agreeable number, the 49ers have the leverage of knowing that they have Kaepernick at a very cheap price in 2014, and if there's no extension, they can franchise-tag him for 2015 and 2016 and then can hold him even in 2017 because there are special provisions for QBs
Post the damn article, foo
  • buck
  • Veteran
where is the link to the article?????

JFC
[ Edited by buck on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM ]
its in tim kawakami's article
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
its in tim kawakami's article

Thanks for the link.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Interesting reads. I still have no clue.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/01/30/colin-kaepernick-and-the-49ers-yes-there-is-an-extension-compromise-out-there-though-its-probably-short-term/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

Kaepernick says contract must be "balanced" against others 49ers want to sign

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/01/kaepernick-says-his-contract-must-be-balanced-against-others-49ers-want-to-sign.html
Originally posted by buck:
Interesting reads. I still have no clue.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/01/30/colin-kaepernick-and-the-49ers-yes-there-is-an-extension-compromise-out-there-though-its-probably-short-term/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

Kaepernick says contract must be "balanced" against others 49ers want to sign

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/01/kaepernick-says-his-contract-must-be-balanced-against-others-49ers-want-to-sign.html

My take Buck is CK7 fully understands the Niners org has the leverage, he is trying to throw out an olive branch that he wants a new deal. His motivation obviously is guaranteed money, with being a running qb, his career could end tomorrow and he never got the big pay day. Hopefully both sides can be reasonable and get a deal done.
So basically the team can franchise him for more per year than an actual contract would pay him? Sounds like a great deal to me!
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:

If the 49ers and Kaepernick can't get to an agreeable number, the 49ers have the leverage of knowing that they have Kaepernick at a very cheap price in 2014, and if there's no extension, they can franchise-tag him for 2015 and 2016 and then can hold him even in 2017 because there are special provisions for QBs

I think we went over this in another thread. Franchising him in 2016 isn't really an option for us. Cap hit will be over 21M...which we just can't do unless we are ok with losing quite a few good players. So, you can't look at it as 3 year 12.5 million dollar deal. It doesn't work that way when you're looking at the cap. Franchising him is a very expensive deal for us.
Originally posted by 4ML:

I think we went over this in another thread. Franchising him in 2016 isn't really an option for us. Cap hit will be over 21M...which we just can't do unless we are ok with losing quite a few good players. So, you can't look at it as 3 year 12.5 million dollar deal. It doesn't work that way when you're looking at the cap. Franchising him is a very expensive deal for us.
I respectfully disagree, if you KNOW that next year you are only paying CK7 1 million you can front load another players contract for cap purposes.

Look at Joe Flaccos break down, it is essentially a 3 year 62 million dollar contract. in the above scenario you get CK7 for 3 years 37 million.

In 2013, Flacco gets a fully guaranteed base salary of $1 million for a total first-year compensation of $30 million and a salary-cap figure of $6.8 million.

In 2014, Flacco has a $6 million base salary that's guaranteed for injury only, but that voids once the first option is paid. His salary-cap figure is $14.8 million in the second year of the deal.

In 2015, Flacco gets a $4 million base salary that's guaranteed for injury only, which voids when the first option is paid. His salary-cap figure is $14.55 million.

In 2016, the salary cap figure inflates to $28.55 million, primarily due to an $18 million base salary with $12 million of that guaranteed for injury only, although that guaranteed portion reduces to $3 million when the first option of $15 million is exercised, and voids when the second option of $7 million is exercised.

The deal effectively operates as a three-year, $62 million agreement since the contract is likely to be restructured after three years.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-breaking-down-baltimore-ravens-quarterback-joe-flaccos-1206-million-contract-20130305,0,1319614.story#ixzz2rwnNO1O7
The Franchise tag goes up every year you tag a player. So the 1st year is the set amount for that year, then up 20%, then 3rd year is 120% more. It isn't a good option IMO. Plus there is the exclusive tag, which is much higher than the franchise tag, maybe a few million.

I personally hate the franchise tag. Better off extending the players.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Of course there is another element that has pretty much eliminated the number of time franchise is used for a QB. That is goodwill. If you use the franchise you can pretty much write off keeping the QB after the franchise years are done. If he is worth the price to franchise, then he is probably someone you want to keep around more then 3 years. NO threatened to use it with Brees and he basically said that he would not play if they franchised him. They ended up getting a deal done.
Also how much more of a distraction can you have for a QB than not having a contract and being franchised instead.

Playing the franchise game is exactly what they do not want to do with Kaep.
"I think it's a balance. You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," Kaepernick said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back. And there has to be room for everyone."

could i love this dude more
I respectfully disagree, if you KNOW that next year you are only paying CK7 1 million you can front load another players contract for cap purposes.

Look at Joe Flaccos break down, it is essentially a 3 year 62 million dollar contract. in the above scenario you get CK7 for 3 years 37 million.

In 2013, Flacco gets a fully guaranteed base salary of $1 million for a total first-year compensation of $30 million and a salary-cap figure of $6.8 million.

In 2014, Flacco has a $6 million base salary that's guaranteed for injury only, but that voids once the first option is paid. His salary-cap figure is $14.8 million in the second year of the deal.

In 2015, Flacco gets a $4 million base salary that's guaranteed for injury only, which voids when the first option is paid. His salary-cap figure is $14.55 million.

In 2016, the salary cap figure inflates to $28.55 million, primarily due to an $18 million base salary with $12 million of that guaranteed for injury only, although that guaranteed portion reduces to $3 million when the first option of $15 million is exercised, and voids when the second option of $7 million is exercised.

The deal effectively operates as a three-year, $62 million agreement since the contract is likely to be restructured after three years.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-breaking-down-baltimore-ravens-quarterback-joe-flaccos-1206-million-contract-20130305,0,1319614.story#ixzz2rwnNO1O7

We don't have cap room this year to front load other contract extensions. We need to reach ext. with Kap this off-season and hopefully Crab as well.
According to an article today, there are special provisions for qb's and the franchise tag. Bascially the Niners can keep franchising CK7 through the 2017 season.

2014- present contract 1 million
2015- tag 16 million
2016 tag 21 million
2017 tag 25 million (assuming a 20% bump)

essentially a four year 15.75 million dollar per year
three year 12.5 million dollar deal
two year- 8.5 million per year.

I personally think they will offer him a 3 year 45 million dollar deal, which gives CK7 a premium to the franchise offers and lets him feel valued. If he balks they can do the above and wait and see if he is worth the money.

How is paying the guy 21 or 25 million for one year "leverage" for the team?

Sounds more like leverage for Kap. "OK, you're going to franchise me and pay me $46 million over two years?" Ya, he'd take that all day.