LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

How Much Does Justin Smith Have Left?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He seemed stronger throughout the year...thanks in part to TJ-E and Dobbs' play off the bench. Next season I'd anticipate he'll split time w/Carradine, who'll eventually replace him. What a pillar of strength Justin has been...freakin' awesome dude.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He'll be very solid next season and the improved rotation will also add to his performance when playoffs roll around.

Tank will learn from a Master.

I hope we draft Easley and put him on IR for the season like we did w/Tank. Then depending on how Justin's situation is Easley will come on board full time.

I'm all in with this plan. We'd have two capable DEs (hopefully) in 2015. If Justin Smith is gone by then, then we already have our starters and a guy to back up both men. If Justin Smith is still playing, then he can get plenty of rest with Easley and Carradine coming off the bench.
  • buck
  • Veteran
PFF 3-4 defensive end overall rankings

2008—7th
2009—1st
2010—1st
2011—1st
2012—5th
2013—16th
  • buck
  • Veteran
just in case anyone, besides myself, was interested

Ray McDonald

2008—19th
2009—25th
2010—16th
2011—3rd
2012—10th
2013—22nd
Question. How good is Tank Carradine? I did not see him play in college. We drafted him early in the 2nd round knowing he was hurt and would probably miss his rookie year. To be worth the pick he has to play like someone who should have been drafted around the 23 pick or better in the 1st round to justify missing his 1st year. Is he that good?

Also. He weighs about 265? How does that fit our defense? Our DT's are around 285-295. He seems to be more of a 4-3 DE. We surely could use him as a situational pass rusher but could we plug him in to sub for Smith or McDonald for an entire series?
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Question. How good is Tank Carradine? I did not see him play in college. We drafted him early in the 2nd round knowing he was hurt and would probably miss his rookie year. To be worth the pick he has to play like someone who should have been drafted around the 23 pick or better in the 1st round to justify missing his 1st year. Is he that good?

Also. He weighs about 265? How does that fit our defense? Our DT's are around 285-295. He seems to be more of a 4-3 DE. We surely could use him as a situational pass rusher but could we plug him in to sub for Smith or McDonald for an entire series?

unknown quantity coming off injury
Originally posted by buck:

Ray McDonald

2008—19th
2009—25th
2010—16th
2011—3rd
2012—10th
2013—22nd
very interesting! how did dorsey do according to PFF?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He has two good years left.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
Originally posted by buck:

Ray McDonald

2008—19th
2009—25th
2010—16th
2011—3rd
2012—10th
2013—22nd
very interesting! how did dorsey do according to PFF?

PFF focus does not have separate ranting for 3-4 nose tackles.

Dorsey was the 22nd overall defensive tackle.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He has two good years left.

• buck
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ers: How Much Longer Will Justin Smith Play?

When he signed his new contract last season, extending him through the 2015 season, SFGate.com quoted Smith as saying that, as long as he can still be a regular starter, he'll stick around:

" I said that. I meant that. I won't be a guy that's around for 10 snaps, 20 snaps. It's either I'm going (to play full-time), or I'm not going. And when it's time to get...out of here, I'm going. I get a ticket like everybody else, so that's what I'm doing."

Smith looks set to go out on his own terms.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1940399-san-francisco-49ers-how-much-longer-will-justin-smith-play

I honestly didn't see any drop off in Justin Smith's play... even against Seattle in the playoffs. I thought he was dominant. Look at the game tape - he owned Russell Okung and/or Carpenter. I think he's got a solid 1 or 2 years left, at least. Tank will need to be brought through the system and needs experience. Who better to have teach him but the best? JUSTIN "COWBOY UP" SMITH!
Once a Beast ..ALWAYS a Beast
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am sorry but i never saw a drop in his play this year. the depth has helped him stay fresh and he is still a major force
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but i never saw a drop in his play this year. the depth has helped him stay fresh and he is still a major force

Originally posted by amosmac:
I honestly didn't see any drop off in Justin Smith's play... even against Seattle in the playoffs. I thought he was dominant. Look at the game tape - he owned Russell Okung and/or Carpenter. I think he's got a solid 1 or 2 years left, at least. Tank will need to be brought through the system and needs experience. Who better to have teach him but the best? JUSTIN "COWBOY UP" SMITH!

This. At least not as drastic as the rankings would indicate. I think Tank can come in and should give a huge boost to the D-line. He will be a major infusion of talent. I think the better our rotation is, the longer and more effect Justin Smith can be. I'm just hoping Baalke continues to be forward thinking and snatches up Easley at the end of the third round.
Share 49ersWebzone