There are 231 users in the forums

How Much Does Justin Smith Have Left?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This guy has no sign of slowing down I wouldnt be surprised if he played till he was 38 (3 more yrs) which brings the question if he did, would we keep him or let him go to develope Tank or even future picks?
2 more years, at least thats what his contract says.
he'll play until he's 45.
I think he'll play 2 more...unless he gets a ring this year.

Niners have to be ready for him to leave. Getting Tank ready, moving Dorsey to DE, or drafting another DE or 2 this year...they need to be ready for the Cowboy to retire.

Personally, I think his play fell off a bit this year, but he's still pretty damn good.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

This.

And I think he is still a beast!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kes8514:
Originally posted by crabman82:

This.

And I think he is still a beast!
the fact that our depth allowed him to take plays off should help him have two more very good years
A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Doleman 2.0
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
he'll play until he's 45.

I bet he could hes not Agile hes just beastly strong and strength doesnt fall that much with age
I think he did slow up. One year more and the downturn starts to become noticeable.

Hopefully Carradine, and a draft pick, will be ready to pick up the slack if the Cowboy slows down. I think he has enough pride in his playing that if he noticeably slows down he will bow out. He has his millions and he will retire when he is ready. A superbowl ring would help him make up his mind.
I think he looks fine and can give two solid years at the current rate (number of snaps). With Tank Carradine coming in, I'd honestly like Justin Smith's snaps down to 60-70%. If Carradine looks the part, drop it to 50-60% in 2015.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
I think he did slow up. One year more and the downturn starts to become noticeable.

That's what I think. One more year of high level play and then he'll consider retirement. In 2015 if he's still around he'll probably play mostly in the base defense and be rotated out for Carradine or an OLB like Lemonier in nickel.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's playing at a very high level right now, not sure how long he can keep it up but when his game declines its usually very fast for older players.
He'll be very solid next season and the improved rotation will also add to his performance when playoffs roll around.

Tank will learn from a Master.

I hope we draft Easley and put him on IR for the season like we did w/Tank. Then depending on how Justin's situation is Easley will come on board full time.
Share 49ersWebzone