There are 141 users in the forums

Move Carradine to OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
McDonald - Dorsey - JSmith
Jerod-Eddie - Williams - Carradine
Dial (DE/NT)

Practice squad - Okoye, Purcell or "other"

Oh shot I completely forgot about ploys. I take back my draft an OLB comment. They still might take a steal but I don't think they will target one.

On my phone can't fix it .
Cohn - How do you guys envision DT Cornellius "Tank" Carradine as far as where he'll play? Is he a defensive end? Is he an outside linebacker?

Baalke - "Well, he's going to play down. He's not an outside linebacker. In our system, it's one of the things we really liked is the versatility. He's a little bit bigger than [DT] Ray [McDonald] was when Ray came out. Just a guy that we think can play the four technique, the five technique, can play in our sub package. Can kick down and play a three and also stay outside in the sub package. So, just a lot of position versatility with him."
Cohn - How do you guys envision DT Cornellius "Tank" Carradine as far as where he'll play? Is he a defensive end? Is he an outside linebacker?

Baalke - "Well, he's going to play down. He's not an outside linebacker. In our system, it's one of the things we really liked is the versatility. He's a little bit bigger than [DT] Ray [McDonald] was when Ray came out. Just a guy that we think can play the four technique, the five technique, can play in our sub package. Can kick down and play a three and also stay outside in the sub package. So, just a lot of position versatility with him."

Thank you...and why would we even need him for OLB? Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier and Skuta?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Thank you...and why would we even need him for OLB? Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier and Skuta?

Exactly....
No. They specifically said his purpose will be to develop into the next great DE. We need him there once Justin Smith leaves. We must continue the DE dominance for years to come. We don't know if Okoye will ever do it, but if he can, it would be an outstanding DL for a long time.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Put him at strong safety to replace whitner. According to Madden, his rating went up and we know that's how pro coaches make their depth charts.
1973 mattel talking football trumps madden in my opinion

cc you gotta explain this. i never heard of that game. i wasn't born til 1981
wut why?
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree. This thread is nonsense. The origin of this thread is in a nonsense notion that Aldon is going to demand too much money and we are going to let him walk. That is not going to happen. Unless something drastic happens, Aldon and Kap will play the prime of their careers as 49ers.
Originally posted by Disp:
We have Aldon, Ahmad, Skuta, and Lemonade at OLB. The first 3 are pro bowl quality, the 4'th has shown good promise, and all of them have several more years of high level playing left. Who do the Niners have on the D-line to take the place of Smith/McDonald in the next 2-3 years if not Carradine? TJE & Dobbs?

P.S. Baalke traded 2 OLB last offseason for 7'th rounders because it was the most stacked position on the roster.

I want to move away from the nonsense that is the OP of this thread and focus on the bolded part. Obviously we all know Aldon and Ahmad are All-Pro players. I agree with you that Skuta could be as well, I believe if Bowman can't start the season healthy then we should play our best 4 available LBs and put Skuta back inside then play him outside when Bow comes back if that situation plays out like that.

What's the consensus of the board on this? I think Skuta could be at least a Pro-Bowl player in our system.
With the possibility of Bowman missing a few weeks due to his recovery, I wonder if you could see Brooks slide inside and Lemonier play opposite of Aldon.

• buck
  • Veteran
Move Carradine to outside linebacker.

Move Willis to DE.

Bowman to SS.

Alex Boone, who has proven his versatility, goes to inside linebacker.

Just my moves in the theater of the absurd.
  • Jiks
This thread makes me realize it's now truthfully off-season.
Originally posted by matt49er:
We have Aldon, Ahmad, Skuta, and Lemonade at OLB. The first 3 are pro bowl quality, the 4'th has shown good promise, and all of them have several more years of high level playing left. Who do the Niners have on the D-line to take the place of Smith/McDonald in the next 2-3 years if not Carradine? TJE & Dobbs?

P.S. Baalke traded 2 OLB last offseason for 7'th rounders because it was the most stacked position on the roster.

I want to move away from the nonsense that is the OP of this thread and focus on the bolded part. Obviously we all know Aldon and Ahmad are All-Pro players. I agree with you that Skuta could be as well, I believe if Bowman can't start the season healthy then we should play our best 4 available LBs and put Skuta back inside then play him outside when Bow comes back if that situation plays out like that.

What's the consensus of the board on this? I think Skuta could be at least a Pro-Bowl player in our system.

I think Skuta played well and all this year, but I am nowhere near calling him a Pro Bowler.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I think Skuta played well and all this year, but I am nowhere near calling him a Pro Bowler.

The Niners can do better than Skuta as an OLB, but he can also kick inside if need be. He was an ILB when he played for the Bengals. It would be nice to keep him for his special teams ability.

Getting someone like Kyle Van Noy or Jeremiah Attaochu in the draft who could play inside as well would help. Carradine stays at DE.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Skuta does have experience playing inside linebacker.

Having him fill in, if Bowman is slow to recover, seems feasible.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone