There are 223 users in the forums

Perspective on this current 49ers team and why I am optimistic

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
NCommand, if we see them add a couple receivers, especially if one of them has elite speed, I bet we see more of that formation next year. We actually saw an indication of how Seattle plays a spread when they don't have to worry about the long ball in the Super Bowl. They still have Chancellor up close and he was knocking the heck out of the short crossing routes. Just like they were doing all season, most of the game the only guy worried about over the top was Thomas. All the Niners need is one seriously speedy player on the outside to compliment V. Davis' serious speed on the inside and the Seahawks cannot play that way. In fact, it will be a lot harder for any of the competition to stack the run if the Niners are leaning on those kinds of formations.

I so badly want to believe that's the answer!!!!
I'll take harbaugh and kap over Carroll and Wilson every day of the week and twice on sunday
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
I'll take harbaugh and kap over Carroll and Wilson every day of the week and twice on sunday

Me as well. Immediately yes SEA is better but I like Jim and Kap long term. Kap is taller and he won't rely on his mobility to run around to see throwing lanes five years from now and Jim is younger and he will coach us longer like Pittsburgh coaches do. Also we have a young owner. Pieces are in place for long term success. New stadium Jed Paraage Trent Jim Kap. We ready to make a run

Then watch, Harbaw and Kap no longer with the 49ers 2 years from now while Carroll and Wilson win their third straight SB in our house lolz. Wouldn't that be excrutiating.
I hope Harbaugh stays long term but I have a feeling he won't resign and will only coach until his deal expired after 2015 season
[ Edited by Mertonschickendance on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I do want to focus on the positive. The thing that had me VERY happy about was the teams focus down the stretch. Think about this for a second. From Week 14, we had 6 straight playoff games and won:
Week 14 - Beat Seattle in SF and then...
Week 15 - Traveled to Bucs (who were playing better then and let's not forget, we're the most traveled team yet again [London])
Week 16 - Falcons (who played their game-of-the year) and a historic finish at Candlestick
Week 17 - To Cardinals (a HOT playoff contender)...and then, oh yeah, the actual playoff route we had to take from there (eff you Neck Gate!)

Playoffs: No rest...
TO Green Bay in sub-20 degrees (total B.S.), then TO Carolina (top 3 defense in the game and a good offense) and then TO Seattle (and literally, gave that game away in the final 3 possessions).

Now, if someone can come up with a less brutal schedule than this in NFL history, I'd love to review it! This team has character and heart (Bowman's play alone signified our entire season in one play...heart, character, play-making, within the rules, goal line stand, critical moment and then...ultimately getting screwed in the end for it...but they never gave up, overcame a brutal injury again and STILL almost pulled it off somehow).

We'll be back!

I'm thinking because they are a run first offense and putting out a spread offense eliminates the play action. With Kaep and Gore the Defense always must play for the run, potentially allowing receivers to be one-on-one (desirable). Not to say it wouldn't be effective, because Kaep has a hell of an arm and could most definitely complete the slants for a quick gain. But you are showing your hand saying it is a pass play all the way, which allows defenders to drop back and provide double coverage for the deep receivers. If the 49'ers design a spread offense Kaep run play, when used in conduction with a spread offense pass, it could throw the defense off requiring them to designate a defender to spy on Kaep opening up a receiver. But, if he runs he won't get much help blocking in that kind of formation.

I know he is a great runner, but every time he takes off down field I imagine the worst. I hate to see QB's get hurt running the ball, because the consequences can be season ending for the team. Look at the RG3 situation, who knows if he will ever return to pre-injury form. Kaep plays with so much emotion I don't know if he will ever be the type of player to just go out of bounds instead of picking up the extra yard. He is explosive, and awesome, but all it takes is a shoulder hit for him to be knocked out of the game. To his credit he seems to be exceptionally conditioned and tough, but he is still exposed with less pads than a RB.
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I do want to focus on the positive. The thing that had me VERY happy about was the teams focus down the stretch. Think about this for a second. From Week 14, we had 6 straight playoff games and won:
Week 14 - Beat Seattle in SF and then...
Week 15 - Traveled to Bucs (who were playing better then and let's not forget, we're the most traveled team yet again [London])
Week 16 - Falcons (who played their game-of-the year) and a historic finish at Candlestick
Week 17 - To Cardinals (a HOT playoff contender)...and then, oh yeah, the actual playoff route we had to take from there (eff you Neck Gate!)

Playoffs: No rest...
TO Green Bay in sub-20 degrees (total B.S.), then TO Carolina (top 3 defense in the game and a good offense) and then TO Seattle (and literally, gave that game away in the final 3 possessions).

Now, if someone can come up with a less brutal schedule than this in NFL history, I'd love to review it! This team has character and heart (Bowman's play alone signified our entire season in one play...heart, character, play-making, within the rules, goal line stand, critical moment and then...ultimately getting screwed in the end for it...but they never gave up, overcame a brutal injury again and STILL almost pulled it off somehow).

We'll be back!

I'm thinking because they are a run first offense and putting out a spread offense eliminates the play action. With Kaep and Gore the Defense always must play for the run, potentially allowing receivers to be one-on-one (desirable). Not to say it wouldn't be effective, because Kaep has a hell of an arm and could most definitely complete the slants for a quick gain. But you are showing your hand saying it is a pass play all the way, which allows defenders to drop back and provide double coverage for the deep receivers. If the 49'ers design a spread offense Kaep run play, when used in conduction with a spread offense pass, it could throw the defense off requiring them to designate a defender to spy on Kaep opening up a receiver. But, if he runs he won't get much help blocking in that kind of formation.

I know he is a great runner, but every time he takes off down field I imagine the worst. I hate to see QB's get hurt running the ball, because the consequences can be season ending for the team. Look at the RG3 situation, who knows if he will ever return to pre-injury form. Kaep plays with so much emotion I don't know if he will ever be the type of player to just go out of bounds instead of picking up the extra yard. He is explosive, and awesome, but all it takes is a shoulder hit for him to be knocked out of the game. To his credit he seems to be exceptionally conditioned and tough, but he is still exposed with less pads than a RB.

Agreed...this is why we were suggesting a spread base offense coupled with power running formation BUT pass out of power run formations and run out of the shorgun in passing formations as well. Keep the defense off balance. Right now, this defense couldn't be more easy to defend. I'd also like to see some real WCO plays implemented as well...quick slants, post patterns, many crossing routes, screens, emphasis on utilizing check-down options and true progression routes/reads, etc....this means more snaps from under center for CK. And I only want CK running when plays break down...not by design. Roman studied the pistol offense and incorporated it into our game plan.

There is no reason he can't incorporate a spread offense that suits our personnel better, power run formations, run and pass out of both sets, add in some under-center WCO timing designs and also for balance, keep some Q formations/pistol designs.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Then watch, Harbaw and Kap no longer with the 49ers 2 years from now while Carroll and Wilson win their third straight SB in our house lolz. Wouldn't that be excrutiating.

Cool story, bro.
I hope you guys are optimistic. You lost the mega game to your most hated rival. You will never be able to undo that or make up for it. Take your 5 ancient rings and shove them. You choked.
Originally posted by 1975jerryrice:
I hope you guys are optimistic. You lost the mega game to your most hated rival. You will never be able to undo that or make up for it. Take your 5 ancient rings and shove them. You choked.

I suppose I should tell that to grandma. Just because she got her wedding ring 62 years ago doesn't mean that she should shove it NPR should we ours. We cherish all five for eternity. The Seahawks historically are not our greatest rivals. That honor goes to Rams Cowboys and Giants. The jealousy is oozing from your pores
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]

Cool story bro.

I never understood this "choking" thing as a derogatory statement.

"Choking" implies that you SHOULD have won, but didn't. If we "should" have won, then we were the better team. So the insult is saying, "Your'e the better team man, ha ha, and you still lost, ha ha." OK. I don't get it, but thanks?

I can understand why 49er fans who don't like Kap would say we choked. Obviously because they believe we were the better team, but Kap blew it, etc. It just seems backwards for a troll, or a Dick s**tman to say it.

Oh ya, and we have a LOT more than 5 "Super Bowl rings". There are probably hundreds of them still in existence.
And they are not ancient, by definition, if something exists it is not "ancient".
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:32 AM ]
I've already said I feel optimism over another year of Kaepernick working on being a pocket passer, the Niners adding receivers and a corner and generally a little easier road schedule this coming season. But since it's clear from above that some Seahawk fans can't restrain themselves from coming around here and spreading their bile even though they really should be just feeling good about themselves, let me ad another big area of optimism:

I think the Seahawks are going to come back down to earth a little in the coming year. They got a lot of breaks this last season and the Niners got very few breaks. The Seahawks are in a lot more of a cap challenge than the Niners. They've got over $34 mil tied up in two receivers and a tackle. And sure, they'll jettison Rice, but they'll still have close to $25 million tied up in Harvin and Okung. And Bennett has already said there will be no "hometown discounts." Coming on the heals of that will be the Richard Sherman situation - are Seahawk fans pretending that a corner who thinks he's better than Darryl Revis is going to come cheap? The Seahawks are already talking about letting two or three of their D-linemen walk. It happens to lots of teams that win Super Bowls - they have a down following year. And let's face it - they had better hope that those last six or seven games Russell Wilson put in aren't a sign that he's hit some kind of ceiling - he didn't exactly burn it up towards the end of the season. In fact, he got downright mediocre there towards the end.
this thread comes out every year , .it has to happen sometime right lol
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM ]
Optimism:

-- I really have a strong feeling that they're going to add a couple of very interesting receivers in the draft and expand the passing game next season.

-- The more targets he has, the easier it's going to be for Kaepernick to continue progress on playing from the pocket.

-- I see Lattimore coming in and starting to take the majority of the running work and Gore doing what he still does best - he's the best blitz blocker in the league so I hope we see a lot of him on third down and passing downs.

-- They've got a boatload of picks again and I think the team will also add a good corner and a good safety through the draft.

-- They get Carradine and Dial in there and Williams comes back - lots of depth on the D-line especially considering how well Jerrod-Eddie came on.

-- The latest estimates are that Bowman should be back by October or November at the latest and Wilhoit is an excellent backup.

-- They have the easiest road schedule they've had in many years - one of their road games is in Oakland (!)

-- They might get an emotional boost from the fact that their home game crowds will probably be louder and more excited than they're used to.

-- I see Colin Kaepernick getting better and better - his average QB rating for his last 10 games was 100.6 and he had a better rating against the best defense in the league than either Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. He could absolutely blow up next season as he gets more comfortable with the NFL pocket passing game and more receivers to work with.
Share 49ersWebzone