MLB - Derek Smith
OLB - Tully Banta-Cain

CB-Antonio Langham
CB-Mike Rumph
SS-Zack Bronson
FS-Dana Hall

K-Owen Pochman
P-Chad Stanley

Like the other guy, you need to do some research. Several of these guys have no business being here.

For instance, Chris Dalman. Winner one year of the Bobb McKittrick award. Starting center for quite some time, until if memory serves injury terminated his career. And you pick him in place of Cody Wallace, who achieved, um.... Good call.

Bronson. A hard hitting safety who was UNDRAFTED and yet went on to become a genuinely good safety who played on a not-very-good team. A career Niner, again, injury ended his career. I can't be bothered to pick failed safeties in the modern period that should have been on the list in his place. There are quite a few.

Bill Romanowski, much as I detest him, was twice a Pro Bowler and started in 5 Super Bowls. How he can be considered on a WOAT list is utterly mystifying. DickOAT possibly, but that would be a different category.

And there are others. So, no. Just...no.
Originally posted by GEEK:
QB: Cody Pickett
RB: Maurice Hicks
FB: Chris Heatherington

TE: Steve Bush
WR: RaShaun Woods
WR: Taylor Jacobs

LT: Jonas Jennings
LG: David Baas
C: Cody Wallace
RG: Chilo Rachal
RT: Kwame Harris

LE: Andrew Williams
NT: Kentwan Balmer
DT: Ronald Fields
RE: Melvin Oliver

OLB: Saleem Rasheed
ILB: Brandon Moore
OLB: Hannibal Naives

CB: Mike Rumph
CB: Bruce Thornton
FS: Mark Roman
SS: Taylor Mays

K: Jose Cortez
P: Barry Helton

I'll take Jim Drunkenmiller over Cody Pickett all day everyday
Originally posted by English:
Like the other guy, you need to do some research. Several of these guys have no business being here.

For instance, Chris Dalman. Winner one year of the Bobb McKittrick award. Starting center for quite some time, until if memory serves injury terminated his career. And you pick him in place of Cody Wallace, who achieved, um.... Good call.

Bronson. A hard hitting safety who was UNDRAFTED and yet went on to become a genuinely good safety who played on a not-very-good team. A career Niner, again, injury ended his career. I can't be bothered to pick failed safeties in the modern period that should have been on the list in his place. There are quite a few.

Bill Romanowski, much as I detest him, was twice a Pro Bowler and started in 5 Super Bowls. How he can be considered on a WOAT list is utterly mystifying. DickOAT possibly, but that would be a different category.

And there are others. So, no. Just...no.

Chris Dalman started at center, but he was terrible. Couldn't sustain as a run blocker, a major liability in pass protection. He started because he was "smart" and knew how to "call the game." As an actual blocker, he was terrible. I'm not going to put guys who never played on this team - that's silly. How do we know they can't play if they were never given the opportunity?

Bronson...hard hitting? Did you ever actually watch him? The guy couldn't wrap up and was slow as molasses. He looked every bit like the undrafted free agent he was.

Romanowski did NOT start in 5 Super Bowls. He was a backup until 1990. When he did finally start for the 49ers, he was awful. Soft, a terrible tackler, and slow. There's a reason he hated John McVay - McVay told him to his face that he wasn't good enough. He then started injecting roids and became known because of his roid rage on the field and his dirty plays. He was never a very good player, even juiced.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Some of you guys dont seem to understand the criteria. If were picking a team based on the best players who have ever suited up as Niners, itd just be littered with HOFers at every position. Im talking the best at each literal position, AS Niners.

Fred Dean had one BIG year as a Niner, but most of his HOF career was achieved with SD.

And Dwaine Board played RDE, not Left.

In 3 seasons as a Niner, Roy Barker racked up 30.0 sacks and 10 FF. We havent really had a mainstay player at LDE, so Barker won that spot for me based on big production in a short amount of time.

You lost a TON of credibility by picking Deese over Staley, and then calling Staley "overrated", and saying he gets beat all the time. What is that based on, Mr. scout? Because Pro Football Focus scouts every play of every game, and the results say Staley has been ELITE the last few years.

Deese never even made a pro bowl team. Staley is a 3 time All-Pro.

Board lined up at both spots, stop reading off ProFootballReference.

Fred Dean had 2 huge years for the 49ers - sacks weren't an official statistic in 1981, but if they had been you'd see that Dean had 12 sacks in 11 games with the 49ers that year. He also had a sack in that year's SB. I can't remember if he had any in the playoff games. And he was one of those guys who brought HEAT...where the sack totals don't even do it justice. Just like Charles Haley and Derrick Thomas...how many sacks they recorded in a given year was more a matter of chance...how many times they were able to finish, but regardless of what they totaled in a given year they were constantly pressuring the QB. Then there are certain guys who are all-or-nothing rushers - DeMarcus Ware is an example. If it's not a sack, he's not doing much in the passing game.

Derrick Deese went like 30 consecutive games at LT without giving up a sack...and that was when the 49ers actually threw the football. Staley gets voted to the Pro Bowl on reputation; one that emerged in 2011, because the 49ers have been winning games and are successful on the ground, and the media has hyped the offensive line thanks to all the picks, regardless of how well the picks are actually playing or not.

You can't evaluate offensive linemen based on how many Pro Bowls they make - it's a position of reputation, where once a guy gets a reputation among players and fans for being good, they just check off his name and vote for him, since there aren't any statistics readily available for them.
[ Edited by 49ersScoutHistorian on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:54 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
anyone who disses fred dean really needs to learn the history of this team,, deese was awesome and yes i would pick him over staley right now. using the "pro bowl" as a measuring stick is dumb in my opinion
Originally posted by 49ersScoutHistorian:
Some of you guys dont seem to understand the criteria. If were picking a team based on the best players who have ever suited up as Niners, itd just be littered with HOFers at every position. Im talking the best at each literal position, AS Niners.

Fred Dean had one BIG year as a Niner, but most of his HOF career was achieved with SD.

And Dwaine Board played RDE, not Left.

In 3 seasons as a Niner, Roy Barker racked up 30.0 sacks and 10 FF. We havent really had a mainstay player at LDE, so Barker won that spot for me based on big production in a short amount of time.

You lost a TON of credibility by picking Deese over Staley, and then calling Staley "overrated", and saying he gets beat all the time. What is that based on, Mr. scout? Because Pro Football Focus scouts every play of every game, and the results say Staley has been ELITE the last few years.

Deese never even made a pro bowl team. Staley is a 3 time All-Pro.

Board lined up at both spots, stop reading off ProFootballReference.

Fred Dean had 2 huge years for the 49ers - sacks weren't an official statistic in 1981, but if they had been you'd see that Dean had 12 sacks in 11 games with the 49ers that year. He also had a sack in that year's SB. I can't remember if he had any in the playoff games. And he was one of those guys who brought HEAT...where the sack totals don't even do it justice. Just like Charles Haley and Derrick Thomas...how many sacks they recorded in a given year was more a matter of chance...how many times they were able to finish, but regardless of what they totaled in a given year they were constantly pressuring the QB. Then there are certain guys who are all-or-nothing rushers - DeMarcus Ware is an example. If it's not a sack, he's not doing much in the passing game.

Derrick Deese went like 30 consecutive games at LT without giving up a sack...and that was when the 49ers actually threw the football. Staley gets voted to the Pro Bowl on reputation; one that emerged in 2011, because the 49ers have been winning games and are successful on the ground, and the media has hyped the offensive line thanks to all the picks, regardless of how well the picks are actually playing or not.

You can't evaluate offensive linemen based on how many Pro Bowls they make - it's a position of reputation, where once a guy gets a reputation among players and fans for being good, they just check off his name and vote for him, since there aren't any statistics readily available for them.

I wasnt using Staley's pro bowls, I was using his All-Pro selections, which ARE legit.
Originally posted by cciowa:
anyone who disses fred dean really needs to learn the history of this team,, deese was awesome and yes i would pick him over staley right now. using the "pro bowl" as a measuring stick is dumb in my opinion

didn't deese have a 2 season stretch or something where he didn't give up a sack?

fking terry donnahue cutting him way too early in favor of kwame harris.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
If you made an All-Pro roster for the 49ers from the beginning of the Walsh era (1979) until the current 2013 team, what would the team look like? Only 1 spot per position, based on impact to the team and/or longevity. (2nd WR spot must be a secondary WR at the time, not just the 2nd best WR1.) Since we played both the 4-3 and the 3-4, pick 2 DT and 2 ILB's.

QB- Joe Montana
RB- Frank Gore
FB- Tom Rathman
WR1- Jerry Rice
WR2- John Taylor
TE- Vernon Davis
LT- Joe Staley
LG- Guy McIntyre
C- Jesse Sapolu
RG- Randy Cross
RT- Harris Barton

LDE- Roy Barker
DT- Bryant Young
DT- Dana Stubblefield
RDE- Justin Smith
LOLB- Charles Haley
MLB- Patrick Willis
MLB- NaVorro Bowman
ROLB- Aldon Smith
LCB- Deion Sanders
RCB- Eric Wright
SS- Tim McDonald
FS- Ronnie Lott

K- Ray Wersching
P- Andy Lee

I noticed weve had a pretty sad group of CB's overall in the last 35 years. Lott counted as a FS, so that didnt leave much. Deion's impact in 1994 alone won him a spot. Weve also done a pretty pathetic job of finding a good 2nd WR after the John Taylor days. Outside the brief window when Rice and Owens were good at the same time, its been pretty rough. Thank goodness for Anquan Boldin.

Id put this team up against anyone elses from the same time span.

Yes, I know, this is very much an offseason thread, but its a fun concept.

I would have TO instead of JT.

What would a team be without a PR? That's where I would put JT even though Deion was better, but he's on the team at CB and I have to have JT on my team.

Oh and you also need a coach. Bill Walsh is a no-brainer.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Eric Johnson was a pretty solid TE.

Hahahaha just like Derek Smith was a solid LB :)
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Originally posted by GEEK:
QB: Cody Pickett
RB: Maurice Hicks
FB: Chris Heatherington

TE: Steve Bush
WR: RaShaun Woods
WR: Taylor Jacobs

LT: Jonas Jennings
LG: David Baas
C: Cody Wallace
RG: Chilo Rachal
RT: Kwame Harris

LE: Andrew Williams
NT: Kentwan Balmer
DT: Ronald Fields
RE: Melvin Oliver

OLB: Saleem Rasheed
ILB: Brandon Moore
OLB: Hannibal Naives

CB: Mike Rumph
CB: Bruce Thornton
FS: Mark Roman
SS: Taylor Mays

K: Jose Cortez
P: Barry Helton

I'll take Jim Drunkenmiller over Cody Pickett all day everyday

Brandon Moore was pretty good. I'd replace him with Derek "Cyclops" Smith. Remember he excelled at making tackles consistently 7-10 yds past the LOS.
Originally posted by socalniner:
If you made an All-Pro roster for the 49ers from the beginning of the Walsh era (1979) until the current 2013 team, what would the team look like? Only 1 spot per position, based on impact to the team and/or longevity. (2nd WR spot must be a secondary WR at the time, not just the 2nd best WR1.) Since we played both the 4-3 and the 3-4, pick 2 DT and 2 ILB's.

QB- Joe Montana
RB- Frank Gore
FB- Tom Rathman
WR1- Jerry Rice
WR2- John Taylor
TE- Vernon Davis
LT- Joe Staley
LG- Guy McIntyre
C- Jesse Sapolu
RG- Randy Cross
RT- Harris Barton

LDE- Roy Barker
DT- Bryant Young
DT- Dana Stubblefield
RDE- Justin Smith
LOLB- Charles Haley
MLB- Patrick Willis
MLB- NaVorro Bowman
ROLB- Aldon Smith
LCB- Deion Sanders
RCB- Eric Wright
SS- Tim McDonald
FS- Ronnie Lott

K- Ray Wersching
P- Andy Lee

I noticed weve had a pretty sad group of CB's overall in the last 35 years. Lott counted as a FS, so that didnt leave much. Deion's impact in 1994 alone won him a spot. Weve also done a pretty pathetic job of finding a good 2nd WR after the John Taylor days. Outside the brief window when Rice and Owens were good at the same time, its been pretty rough. Thank goodness for Anquan Boldin.

Id put this team up against anyone elses from the same time span.

Yes, I know, this is very much an offseason thread, but its a fun concept.

I would have TO instead of JT.

What would a team be without a PR? That's where I would put JT even though Deion was better, but he's on the team at CB and I have to have JT on my team.

Oh and you also need a coach. Bill Walsh is a no-brainer.

Terrell Owens wasnt a 2nd WR for very long. Taylor was our second option for so many years.

Also, Deion never actually returned punts or kicks for us. Not sure why.
Terrell Owens wasnt a 2nd WR for very long. Taylor was our second option for so many years.

Also, Deion never actually returned punts or kicks for us. Not sure why.

I'm guessing it was because Seifert built most of the defensive formations on the idea that Sanders would completely shut down half the field and if he were injured, they'd have to change everything.
  • Liono
If I were making an all-time NFL team, I might pick Rice and Owens to be my receivers. Though I'd probably give the nod to Randy Moss, but it's interesting how they were playing on the same team together.
Share 49ersWebzone