LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Bailey is more of a LB/SS hybrid. Much rather have someone coverage-centric.

Umm Bailey had 10 picks this past two years and covered the slot reciever on multiple reciever sets much like Vaccarro played at Texas. On base sets he blanketed TEs, I think only allowing very few catches. Is that coverage centric? He only played LB last year and it was because of scheme and his tackling ability, not because he can't cover, he still had 5ints at that position. I love um. I'd take any of Bailey, Buccannon, Dixon or Ward in that order but would love any of them with Christian Bryant in the late rds
Originally posted by buck:
I hope he comes back.

Whitner had a good season.
PFF has Whitner rated as the 6th best overall safety for the 2013 season.
In coverage, Whitner was their 5th best safety. Among safeties, he was second in passes defended.

I just don't understand all the Whitner hate man, he's a baller to me and the reason Reid was so successful this year. These #'s are unfortunately gonna get him paid, and not by us
If the team is keen on a big hitter who can't cover, Taylor Mays is available.
Odds are he is replaced via the draft. We likely cant afford him unless he really wants to play here and signs a sweetheart of a deal.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I hope they DO NOT bring back Whitner. Sure he can hit but he couldn't cover a glove. He is a major liability in deep coverage. I'd like to see a heady veteran at or around Whitner's 2013 salary.

I hope he comes back.

In coverage, Whitner was their 5th best safety. Among safeties, he was second in passes defended.

He really improved from last season. I think it was a combination of whitner focusing on his coverage and a lack of goldson freelancing.
The draft.

Who knows how Cully will be after the injury?

Maybe moving him to S and he has experience there.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
I hope they DO NOT bring back Whitner. Sure he can hit but he couldn't cover a glove. He is a major liability in deep coverage. I'd like to see a heady veteran at or around Whitner's 2013 salary.

I hope he comes back.

He really improved from last season. I think it was a combination of whitner focusing on his coverage and a lack of goldson freelancing.

Or the fact that it's a contract year? The guy as been horrible in coverage his entire career except last year. He's the main reason the Niners don't blitz Willis or Bowman much b/c they can't leave him on a tight end. He stepped his game up this year no doubt but not enoguh to break the bank over.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Odds are he is replaced via the draft. We likely cant afford him unless he really wants to play here and signs a sweetheart of a deal.

Doesn't take tons of money to live a great lifestyle..... GM
by Donte Whitner on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/#kiKDMVb9Ka51i8Iq.99
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Whitner >>>> reid

#neverforget
Nate Clements

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I hope he comes back.

I just don't understand all the Whitner hate man, he's a baller to me and the reason Reid was so successful this year. These #'s are unfortunately gonna get him paid, and not by us

The hate comes from last year--which was really bad.

I do think that you are correct about Whitner getting his money from anther team. I do not like it, but....

Ditto. I do not understand the love for Whitner.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

This. Whitner and Reid play well together. I also don't see anyone in the draft outside of Clinton-Dix who is fit to be a starter, a bunch of guys who have various weaknesses, such as Bucannon who can't f**king tackle.

You can do FAR worse than Whitner as a starting safety. He stepped up big time this past season and was a very good performer for the 49ers. I definitely hope to see him back for another 2 or 3 years.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The draft.

Who knows how Cully will be after the injury?

Maybe moving him to S and he has experience there.

OMG, are we back to the "let's play Culliver at safety" chants from this past offseason again.
Originally posted by susweel:
Whitner >>>> reid

#neverforget

Donna's too old to play! But I think they need a young guy to learn from Whitner or replace him.
Share 49ersWebzone