There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Bring back Taylor Mays!

lol remember when Mays was all butthurt that Pete Carroll picked Earl Thomas over him in the 1st round?

Now Mays is probably like "ah...nvm."
Draft pick…
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Draft pick…

Jimmie Ward from Northern Illinois
We will draft a SS... Or clone Reid.
Seriously I don't get why a lot of you r on whitners nuts? He's not really.......good. Just like darkknight says
This dude :)

• cools
  • Veteran
NIners will draft a SS, but to avoid having to start a rookie, I expect them to bring in an affordable free agent that will be able to start

I like Stevie Brown, NYG, he was out all year with an ACL, but did it in august, so he should be good to go in 2014.
Had 8 picks in 2012! (Ive read he wants to stay in NY though)
i think moving culliver to S should be a last resort....not a bad move, but I think it would be more effective having him as a corner and bringing in a FA or rookie....whitner will be too expensive I think, and he is expendable relative to our other pieces we need to sign
The bigger question is whether or not they release Dahl because he's due to get around 1.5 mil this year and he's awful
Originally posted by buck:

BOOM.

Yes, do this. People get sore over the idea of Reid sliding to SS, but he will be perfect there, and safeties need to be interchangeable anyway. Ward can also play NCB better than Rogers... who would be cut or restructured anyway. I still feel Spillman can be good at S, if ever given enough chance.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

BOOM.

Yes, do this. People get sore over the idea of Reid sliding to SS, but he will be perfect there, and safeties need to be interchangeable anyway. Ward can also play NCB better than Rogers... who would be cut or restructured anyway. I still feel Spillman can be good at S, if ever given enough chance.

Jimmie Ward SS 5-11 192

Ward had a very good Senior Bowl. He is the best coverage safety in the draft.

In the last two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.

Those are cornerback numbers in pass defense.

It also looks like he can tackle.

He has had 199 tackles--127 solo and 72 assists--with 3.5 tackles for a loss, and two forced fumbles.

Still aways to go, but I like this kid.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM ]
Jimmie Ward SS 5-11 192

Ward had a very good Senior Bowl. He is the best coverage safety in the draft.

In the last two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.

Those are cornerback numbers in pass defense.

It also looks like he can tackle.

He has had 199 tackles--127 solo and 72 assists--with 3.5 tackles for a loss, and two forced fumbles.

Still aways to go, but I like this kid.

Yep. Would take in the 2nd.
I get that Culliver played S in college...but he's too good a cover CB to put back there. We need a banger who's got decent cover skills at SS. Reid's too good to mess with...let him be the FS. Good CB's are harder to find than SS's. Figuratively, SS's are a dime a dozen. If Whitner leaves, Baalke can draft a guy like Buchanon (WA St.). Dahl could still be important for depth...even though he played mostly ST's this past season, he has experience at both FS and SS for the Rams.
Originally posted by PA49er:
The bigger question is whether or not they release Dahl because he's due to get around 1.5 mil this year and he's awful

Dahl is not awful, and $1.5 million makes him one of the lower paid players on the team, but they could release him and have a relatively small dead money cap hit, and put that money towards Whitner's new deal. Or ask Dahl to restructure if he wants to stay on the team and make room for Whitner.

One thing is for sure, Whitner is not coming back on a similar contract to the one he got three years ago.
Deone Bucannan is the consensus best SS in the draft. He's a tough guy and pretty big at about 6-1, 200 lbs. He's a good tackler like Reid and faster than Whitner with better coverage skills. His fastest 40 is in the 4.4's but he usually runs at a little slower than 4.5. I could see Reid and Bucannan as a very formidable pair of safeties back there.