LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Move Reid to SS then convert Culliver to FS

Boom

Not a bad idea. Cully played safety in college. He showed some nice man coverage skills though. If he heals right, I'd rather keep him at corner than move him to safety.

You dont move young, up and coming CB to S.

A good CB will be much harder to find. Id only move him to S if we signed Vontae Davis or something.

You mean like Ronnie Lott?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]
Found him!

Make it happen Trent!!!
Actually there's a s**t ton of FA safeties this off season. I don't expect us to lose Whitner...The saturated market it will make it to the 9ers advantage.

I wouldn't mind having Nate Allen if he did go though.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Boom

Reid is staying at FS.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM ]
Zero interest in bringing back Whitner. Bad in coverage, overrated as a tackler (likes to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up), poor ball skills, tons of flags (I don't care if they SHOULD be penalties - the reality is they are getting called so smart players need to learn). He's been the weakest link on that defense for years now, and they can do better, either in the draft or free agency. THe fact of modern NFL life is that Strong Safety isn't really a position. Safeties need to be good in coverage first and hitters a distant second. You can succeed with a hitter back there if the other guys are all-world, but otherwise you need as much coverage help as possible against today's NFL passing attacks. It's not like Bowman, Willis, Smith, Smith, Mcdonald, Dorsey, and Brooks need a lot of help against the run anyway.

With all the 2nd and 3rd rd picks available, the team shoudl ID the safety they feel is best and trade up to get him - similar to the Reid trade from last year. There's a decent chance Clinton-Dix is available late 1st/early 2nd, and he would slot in as a day 1 starter without much issue. Whitner money is much better spent bringing back Brown, who is an actual difference maker in a positive way.
lance shulters.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Boom

that may not be that bad of an idea. That idea has been floated around since he was drafted because we've had a starter at safety hit free agency every year in the harbaugh era. This offseason it makes the most sense since cully is coming off a ACL tear. ACL tears can sometimes make players a bit slower so I can see the conversion working out. We move cully to FS and reid to SS, we place brock as the starter and sign someone like verner or vontae davis and use a high draft pick on a CB. BAMMM...legion of boom who????

That would be an amazing S combo but I'd never do that though. Reid is playing too well at FS to move him and Culliver played too well at CB to move him. CB is more valuable than SS. Plus we can't afford Verner or Davis, those guys will be likely be looking for top dollar or will be franchised. I'm not comfortable going into next year with Brock, DP, Cox/Wright, DP, Morris at CB. I'll go Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd, Wright or Cox (whoever is re-signed), 3rd-5th Rd, Morris and then Reid/? at S.

As for Whitner unless he would take a 1-2 year deal at like 3 mil a year I'd move on. Just have to hope our pass rush is better with Carradine or we blitz more if it isn't. Our secondary will likely go down a bit if we lose Brown, Whitner and Rogers. I don't know who I would replace him with yet, having a hard time finding a SS that I like. Maybe Clinton-Dix at 30 but if Gilbert, Verrett or Matthews are there not sure I'd take him over those guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM ]
TJ Ward
If they can get a starting corner and one to play the nickel. So 2 starting caliber corners along with Brock and morris I would love to see cully move to safety. I also do not buy into the whole SS FS thing. You get cully to put on 10 pounfs, you would have 2 safeties that are superb in covering ground. And the threat of the blitz is so much.more because of the ability to go all man coverage.

I also do not believe it will hurt the run D too much because Reid is aggressive to the box and can probably play well there.
Mike Rumph

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Boom

Not a bad idea. Cully played safety in college. He showed some nice man coverage skills though. If he heals right, I'd rather keep him at corner than move him to safety.

You dont move young, up and coming CB to S.

A good CB will be much harder to find. Id only move him to S if we signed Vontae Davis or something.

You mean like Ronnie Lott?

Ronnie Lott played CB for 5 years though. He just moved around based on where he was needed, and made All-Pro at every position. Special case obviously.

Were going to be running pretty short on CB after Brown, Wright, and Cox leave, and we cut Rogers. As of right now, id guess we put Dahl as the starter, considering he was going to start at FS if Reid hadnt come on so strong.

Whitner was a force, and made alot of big plays for us, but I dont think losing him is the end of the world. He was a magnet for yellow flags, regardless of whether it was warranted. The refs were zeroed in on him.

We probably use our 1st rounder on a Reid 2.0 type SS, or another CB.
My money is on a rookie.
Bring back Taylor Mays!
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Bring back Taylor Mays!

lol remember when Mays was all butthurt that Pete Carroll picked Earl Thomas over him in the 1st round?

Now Mays is probably like "ah...nvm."
Draft pick…
Share 49ersWebzone