LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Move Reid to SS then convert Culliver to FS

Boom

Not a bad idea. Cully played safety in college. He showed some nice man coverage skills though. If he heals right, I'd rather keep him at corner than move him to safety.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good question. I don't think Spillman or Dahl is the answer. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Spillman. He seems to be a better tackler in open space.

Obviously my preference is to bring back Whitner. If that doesn't happen, see if we can get an experienced vet on a 1-yr deal, and draft his replacement in rds 2-4.

I'd also like to see Dahl cut. He makes too much money as a 4th safety. $2.3 mil salary next year makes him one of our top 15 highest payed players. I was OK with the signing at the time because Reid wasn't on the roster yet, and FS was a big ? mark. Now we have no need for him. We can get a much cheaper player to do his job.

Dahl makes 2.3M next year? Where is AB? What's the cap hit if we cut him?
Thats a lot for what Dahl brings to the table. It seems like teams go right after him when ever he gets in the game and are usually successful.
Keith Lewis

Boom

Not a bad idea. Cully played safety in college. He showed some nice man coverage skills though. If he heals right, I'd rather keep him at corner than move him to safety.

Wouldn't be a bad idea but that's a lot of shuffling for what would be a secondary trying to reestablish some continuity. Also, Reid would have to learn a new spot as well as Culliver relearning to play safety.

Boom

You dont move young, up and coming CB to S.

A good CB will be much harder to find. Id only move him to S if we signed Vontae Davis or something.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Good question. I don't think Spillman or Dahl is the answer. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Spillman. He seems to be a better tackler in open space.

Obviously my preference is to bring back Whitner. If that doesn't happen, see if we can get an experienced vet on a 1-yr deal, and draft his replacement in rds 2-4.

I'd also like to see Dahl cut. He makes too much money as a 4th safety. $2.3 mil salary next year makes him one of our top 15 highest payed players. I was OK with the signing at the time because Reid wasn't on the roster yet, and FS was a big ? mark. Now we have no need for him. We can get a much cheaper player to do his job.

Dahl makes 2.3M next year? Where is AB? What's the cap hit if we cut him?
Thats a lot for what Dahl brings to the table. It seems like teams go right after him when ever he gets in the game and are usually successful.

I saw a chart and it says that Dahl will make $1,883,333 next year?
Originally posted by Niners99:

A good CB will be much harder to find. Id only move him to S if we signed Vontae Davis or something.

This. As much as I would love to see him at safety, you don't do it unless he will not see the field as a CB.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
I saw a chart and it says that Dahl will make $1,883,333 next year?

Still seems like too much for what he brings. If I had my way, we'd see a lot of changes in the secondary this offseason. Whitner, Brown, Rogers, Dahl, Wright would all be gone or paid less. MUCH less in Rogers' case.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Boom

Yes, agreed. Culliver really flashed nice man coverage skills. Moving him to safety would waste that skill. He has the versatility, but to take advantage of his upside he should stick to corner.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Still seems like too much for what he brings. If I had my way, we'd see a lot of changes in the secondary this offseason. Whitner, Brown, Rogers, Dahl, Wright would all be gone or paid less. MUCH less in Rogers' case.

I agree it's steep pay for a non-starter...I'm hesitant to let Whitner go but I think that he will want to cash in on what has been a good 49er run...We may be looking to solidify 2 of the 4 secondary spots and that might be harder than what it looks to be.

I'll take the combo of Reid and Brock -- SS and FS respectively. Brock just seemed to be around the ball at the right time and place.
  • pfizz
Deone Bucannon.
I was really hoping Eric Wright would pan out at corner ... but with the whole him not preparing right before the packers and carolina game and healthy scratch from shehawks games im pretty sure theres bad blood and he may not be coming back unless some patchwork is done ... it would have been a nice combo of big bodied physical corners of culliver and wright with brock in the slot or cully and brock with wright in the slot, assuming culliver comes back without many setback ... safety i dont see us offering (whitner) anymore than the 5 yr 25 mill we offered goldson a year ago .. so up to whitner i like him very physical and did a lot better in coverage this year, but will see what happens .. my guess is they offer him the deal and if not do basically the same thing with Reid, have dahl penciled in as starter (assuming no whitner) and draft rookie safety with potential to start.
[ Edited by RazzledazzleABattle on Jan 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
The Answer is obvious and easy we move Chris Culliver back to safety pick up another corner (Vontae Davis plus 1) go bananas in the draft on Cb and safety depth. Harbaugh likes big bodied cbs

uhhhhhhhh... no

Uhhhhhhh.... why not.. explanation? Culliver played safety in college plus he knows the system
Originally posted by RazzledazzleABattle:
I was really hoping Eric Wright would pan out at corner ... but with the whole him not preparing right before the packers and carolina game and healthy scratch from shehawks games im pretty sure theres bad blood and he may not be coming back unless some patchwork is done ... it would have been a nice combo of big bodied physical corners of culliver and wright with brock in the slot or cully and brock with wright in the slot, assuming culliver comes back without many setback ... safety i dont see us offering (whitner) anymore than the 5 yr 25 mill we offered goldson a year ago .. so up to whitner i like him very physical and did a lot better in coverage this year, but will see what happens .. my guess is they offer him the deal and if not do basically the same thing with Reid, have dahl penciled in as starter (assuming no whitner) and draft rookie safety with potential to start.

My concern with the Whitner situation is that this draft class seems to be lacking (unlike last year). While Whitner had a much better season than 2012-2013, he's still not good enough in coverage and draws too many personal fouls to deserve a major contract.

As much as I hate acknowledging good things about Seattle, they have shown what two good safeties can do to teams. I think Reid has the potential to be great. Whitner...not so much.
Share 49ersWebzone