There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Whitner hopefully is a goner. Dude got destroyed over & over & over in coverage. Who cares if he can hit and get flagged for it. I want a decent tackler but can cover. Why not CJ Spillman a chance right?

This 2012 Whitner couldn't cover to save his life. But the 2013 Whitner did quite well in coverage. PFF even confirms it.
Walter Football(I know take it with a grain of salt) has Craig Loston to us at the end of the 2nd. 2x LSU Tigers at Safety? I'd be down with that. LSU seems to be a DB factory right now.

Also has us taking 2 WR's with the first 2 picks. I'd rather a CB in there.
It's tempting to take Loston because he played with Reid at LSU, they are almost the exact same size and may be able to work together more quickly than other guys. But that may be an illusion and if someone is much better I'd be all for taking him. Who called the DBs at LSU year before last? Did either Loston or Reid make the adjustments?
I'll be honest I have no idea about draft prospects but reading around the place a 2nd may be a little too high.

He does look like a fit for us though. His physical tools are certainly an upgrade over Whitner. Perhaps Franchising Whitner or a 2yr extension would be a wise idea to let the replacement learn & take over.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's tempting to take Loston because he played with Reid at LSU, they are almost the exact same size and may be able to work together more quickly than other guys. But that may be an illusion and if someone is much better I'd be all for taking him. Who called the DBs at LSU year before last? Did either Loston or Reid make the adjustments?

if he is there at the beginning of the 3rd I would be down if we haven't picked one up yet
Whither will be back. We still draft a new kid high to groom and play swing if somebody goes down.
  • mod
  • Veteran
placing your bets on Spillman is risky as f**k. Whitner is not as bad as you guys make him out to be.
Originally posted by mod:
placing your bets on Spillman is risky as f**k. Whitner is not as bad as you guys make him out to be.

I'm not an anti Whitner guy but if the team can upgrade and improve the position I'm all for it. Only the coaches and players know just how important he is to the defense so I tend not to judge whether he should or should not be kept...but I do want the team to have a young guy ready to take the position if and when the team needs him.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Whitner hopefully is a goner. Dude got destroyed over & over & over in coverage. Who cares if he can hit and get flagged for it. I want a decent tackler but can cover. Why not CJ Spillman a chance right?

This is total BS!
And it's these types of factually bankrupt and empty blanket statements that really have me question, if many actually watch the games with a true understanding of what they're interpreting. Bro, the 49ers were 7th in the league in passing defense, led by one of the TRUE LEADERS of this team DW, who not only sets the tone of a special brand of physicality NEEDED in a competitive and PHYSICAL NFC WEST, who was actually rated as a TOP 10 SS this year, whose very intelligent & valuable to this team bc he directs a lot of what the 49ers do in their complex passing coverage schemes.

LASTLY, I know everyone has wet dreams about Reid whom I love, but while he was GREAT this yr, we got somewhat LUCKY with him (a rookie) producing at such a high level, thanks to Donte, although he is smart himself. Ever wonder why Reid plays so well??,...ill wait....mostly with the help of yes, DONTE! !! Not the other way around, although certainly Reid has helped Donte become more effective as well, but I think thats more a function of Goldson not playing complimenting Donte by not being smart and gambling a lot!
Originally posted by mod:

THANK YOU!!! Wow, its crazy on WBZ sometimes, just think any ol draftee from college can come right in RIGHT AWAY and in year one DUPLICATE what a productive starting experienced SS or FS can do on one of the toughest and complex 2ndary defenses ( 7th ranked pass defensive) in the league just b/c Reid had success whom we picked at as an 18th pick in the 1st round!!... Yeah easy! smh

BUT, Dont kid yourself!! Donte is there mentoring, coaching, and grooming REID brilliantly, and would do the same for a rookie S brought in to LATER replace him, but first groomed by him.

You guys are kidding if u think Donte is just "replaceable" as a Team Leader on the #7 ranked passing defense in the league with a hobbled Carlos Rodgers, No Culliver, ok-solid but injured T-brown, a still learning seldom used Wright, a rookie (albiet smart and good) S, and cut, then re-signed Perish Cox. Yes, the new starter T-Brock is a BEAST, but still!!. I'm not saying pay him TOP dollar but lets not get too carried away and RIDICULOUSLY OVERBOARD with baseless conjecture instead of film, statistical, and coaching/game analysis.

Besides having TOO MUCH TURNOVER at key positions by starting 2 rookie S's still learning a complex system on the FLY might be way too much of a risk for a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM imo!
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by thl408:
A recent interview with Lynch. I couldn't find a text version so I'll quote the audio interview a little bit:

In the Lynch interview, Lynch said: "Whitner said, 'There's not a whole lot of secondaries who can play as many coverages as the 49ers do. And it's Whitner who is directing a lot of that traffic and a lot of those different nuances that they jump into after the ball is snapped."

I know I'm quoting Lynch, who is quoting Whitner, but if Lynch is accurately reporting what Whitner said, it gives me some player interview evidence that the 49ers do indeed play a very complicated coverage system. If anyone remembers some of the analysis threads during the regular season, it was touched upon that the 49ers utilize a lot of pattern matching in their defensive coverages. A couple plays illustrating pattern matching was broken down (I know one was in the TB game), but I am positive that it happens quite often. The key is how Lynch mentioned "after the ball is snapped", which strongly suggests pattern matching is taking place.

Point is, replacing Whitner is more than just replacing his post snap abilities. If Whitner is replaced, Reid has to step up his mental game big time in terms of calling out coverages pre-snap. It is always the safety who calls these pre-snap coverage adjustments since they have the best view of the field.

Lynch audio interview (BR report. It gets good at the 1:20 mark)

agreed. i like Reid. but he's not ready to be the main guy in the secondary yet.

I agree, and BTW that long bomb Wilson threw whom EVERYONE blamed WHITNER for was ACTUALLY REID'S fault and assignment if you watch FILM ANALYSIS, not Donte (as broken down by our very own Johnny Del) ---Reid mistakenly got caught looking underneath to help on a route that I think Skuta had well covered and let Baldwin get behind him on his side of coverage.
Whitner was better because of Reid, having to cover for Goldson made him out of position many a time the previous year. Kind of like Reid in his last college season trying to cover for the loss of people and doing to much.

With that said, I think in order to resign guys like Kaep and Aldon, You have to next man up and chose your keepers. Moving Culliver to Saftey and making a play for drafting a corner is one avenue or Keeping Culli at CB and drafting a safety is another. If they resign Boldin, someone has to go like Carlos Rogers. However that ain't happening till they know FA losses and signings, and if the draft falls into place. If they draft a CB of their liking, goodbye Carlos.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Whitner was better because of Reid, having to cover for Goldson made him out of position many a time the previous year. Kind of like Reid in his last college season trying to cover for the loss of people and doing to much.

With that said, I think in order to resign guys like Kaep and Aldon, You have to next man up and chose your keepers. Moving Culliver to Saftey and making a play for drafting a corner is one avenue or Keeping Culli at CB and drafting a safety is another. If they resign Boldin, someone has to go like Carlos Rogers. However that ain't happening till they know FA losses and signings, and if the draft falls into place. If they draft a CB of their liking, goodbye Carlos.
YES, of course this is assuming Carlos Rodgers gets cut aroud June, which I'm sure he will. But think the niners find a way to resign Bolden, Phil, Osgood, and Whitner, and a dark horse T-brown decides to test FA only to to see a soft market for his services and come back to 49ers to sign the same cap friendly deal Brock signed with us. I think that leaves enough money for Aldon, Kap, and Crabs with Mike being the odd man out on the O-line.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Whither will be back. We still draft a new kid high to groom and play swing if somebody goes down.

my thinking exactly. Do u think the 49ers should trade a pick for a proven free agent WR (AND also draft a WR to groom) like Josh Gordon (although this ship has sailed and I'm not sure trading a 1st round pick is the answer..maybe 2nd Rounder) who can produce right away, instead of drafting one? In light of:
A.) Baalke's history of drafting WRs AND

B). WR being a position that rarely translates into meaningful or elite production in the NFL right away (sometimes taking years to develop), like say a defensive player (esp given the 49ers complex multifaceted offense under GR) ????????
Originally posted by InglewoodCA9ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:

my thinking exactly. Do u think the 49ers should trade a pick for a proven free agent WR (AND also draft a WR to groom) like Josh Gordon (although this ship has sailed and I'm not sure trading a 1st round pick is the answer..maybe 2nd Rounder) who can produce right away, instead of drafting one? In light of:
A.) Baalke's history of drafting WRs AND

B). WR being a position that rarely translates into meaningful or elite production in the NFL right away (sometimes taking years to develop), like say a defensive player (esp given the 49ers complex multifaceted offense under GR) ????????

I would draft one big and one avg/small WR. And I would do it every year until we have a roster of 5-6 WR's we can trust. Figure Crabs (hopefully) and Patton long term...we need 4 more.