There are 257 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Deone Bucannan, SS, 6-1, 216lbs, Washington State

I'm fine with Deone. My first choice is Jimmie Ward and then Ahmad Dixon.

But if we get either of the three I'll be happy.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Deone Bucannan, SS, 6-1, 216lbs, Washington State

I'm fine with Deone. My first choice is Jimmie Ward and then Ahmad Dixon.

But if we get either of the three I'll be happy.

would be interesting if we drafted Reid's teammate.
Originally posted by socalniner:

Which guy was Reid's team mate? I like that idea a lot. Chemistry.
I had a thought late last night regarding this matter. I know I've suggested drafting the likes of Ed Reynolds in my previous post. But just for food for thought I was wondering what if DH is not retained. And what about moving CC over to safety next to ER. I know he's coming off of injury but he has played safety for them gamecocks. Then go out and draft the likes of K. Fuller(whom I truly like in the 2nd rd. this kid plays the ball without having his off arm being wrapped around the WR garnering a PI), Roberson/Puriofy/whatever CB is left. I'd rather a rookie CB playing opposite of T. Brock.

Ok now you cats can throw the noose on me for EVEN suggesting this.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by socalniner:

Which guy was Reid's team mate? I like that idea a lot. Chemistry.

Craig Loston, he should be there when we pick
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
I had a thought late last night regarding this matter. I know I've suggested drafting the likes of Ed Reynolds in my previous post. But just for food for thought I was wondering what if DH is not retained. And what about moving CC over to safety next to ER. I know he's coming off of injury but he has played safety for them gamecocks. Then go out and draft the likes of K. Fuller(whom I truly like in the 2nd rd. this kid plays the ball without having his off arm being wrapped around the WR garnering a PI), Roberson/Puriofy/whatever CB is left. I'd rather a rookie CB playing opposite of T. Brock.

I think someone else suggested this on here also. Minus the SB, Cully was having a great at CB and if he continues to develop, we can potentially have an all-pro at the position. I think PFT had him rated as the CB who gave up the least yards per catch to WRs in the 2012 season. I guess it comes do this question: is harder to find great CBs or SS?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

I think someone else suggested this on here also. Minus the SB, Cully was having a great at CB and if he continues to develop, we can potentially have an all-pro at the position. I think PFT had him rated as the CB who gave up the least yards per catch to WRs in the 2012 season. I guess it comes do this question: is harder to find great CBs or SS?

I think great CB is much harder to find than a great SS. Now if we are talking about FS, that is a different story.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by lucky_49:
If Whitner doesn't return, I seriously think it will be because the 49ers don't want to pay him rather than him wanting a large amount of money.

With that said, the 49ers have shown willingness to place a Franchise Tag on a safety....what are the chances they do it again?

Consider the fact that Boldin and Dawson may indeed be re-signed to multi-year deals, and T.Brown/Carlos are released...there will be room to either re-sign Whitner or at least tag him for 2014. What's the Tag Amount for a Strong Safety this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
bout 7 mil

Jesus. 7 mil for a SS??

Yeah, that's pretty steep.. Hopefully he'll accept something around 5 mil per over 4 years. If not, I'm not so sure he's worth more than 5.5

The problem is, if he goes and Brown goes AND Carlos is released, we literally have no veteran leadership in the secondary. That's scary. Reid is mature and in his second year, but I think it's asking too much of him to be a full-time leader while he's still developing. Brock is a quiet guy who's fairly young. Cully isn't a leader.

Free Agents I like: Mike Mitchell, Carolina...... Major Wright, Chicago
Rookies I like: Deon Buchanon, Washington....Calvin Pryor, Louisville.

I just went into the link you provided..so there is no difference between the $ amount between a SS and a FS? That doesn't seem right.
i will do it
Q: Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

A: A better player that can cover and wrap up.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]

Originally posted by kronik:

When they drafted Reid I read he could shift to SS if needed, so they have a lot of options in Facy and the draft. I would like to see him stay at FS but if they can pick up someone who is better at FS than SS so be it. Whitner may find it difficult to find another job though...the refs seem to have a problem with him, so he may be back.
Who is Jimmie Ward? Get that guy! I watched some of his highlights. Looks like Ed Reed out there.
[ Edited by x--OoO--x on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by kronik:

When they drafted Reid I read he could shift to SS if needed, so they have a lot of options in Facy and the draft. I would like to see him stay at FS but if they can pick up someone who is better at FS than SS so be it. Whitner may find it difficult to find another job though...the refs seem to have a problem with him, so he may be back.

I don't want him back at all. I still believe we lost the super bowl to the Ravens due to Whitner and Culliver.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
If Whitner doesn't return, I seriously think it will be because the 49ers don't want to pay him rather than him wanting a large amount of money.

With that said, the 49ers have shown willingness to place a Franchise Tag on a safety....what are the chances they do it again?

Consider the fact that Boldin and Dawson may indeed be re-signed to multi-year deals, and T.Brown/Carlos are released...there will be room to either re-sign Whitner or at least tag him for 2014. What's the Tag Amount for a Strong Safety this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
bout 7 mil

Jesus. 7 mil for a SS??

Yeah, that's pretty steep.. Hopefully he'll accept something around 5 mil per over 4 years. If not, I'm not so sure he's worth more than 5.5

The problem is, if he goes and Brown goes AND Carlos is released, we literally have no veteran leadership in the secondary. That's scary. Reid is mature and in his second year, but I think it's asking too much of him to be a full-time leader while he's still developing. Brock is a quiet guy who's fairly young. Cully isn't a leader.

Free Agents I like: Mike Mitchell, Carolina...... Major Wright, Chicago
Rookies I like: Deon Buchanon, Washington....Calvin Pryor, Louisville.

I just went into the link you provided..so there is no difference between the $ amount between a SS and a FS? That doesn't seem right.

I dunno about major wright. I live in Chicago and fans here aren't too fond of him since he's been giving up a lot of big plays/bad coverage
Based on the way Fangio asks his safeties to play the deep halves and be alert against the run...I would not be opposed to taking a physically imposing FS and moving him to SS to compliment Reid. This way you have 2 guys equally adept in coverage and are not afraid to stick their noses in the fray. Ha'Shean Clinton-Dix comes to mind...I don't think he will be taken as high as some on this board seem to believe.
Share 49ersWebzone