There are 193 users in the forums

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would like to see someone who is flexible like Eric Reid to fill Whitner's role, I think Reid actually made Whitner a better player because of his coverage and tackling skills-if we can add one more like reid, this defense can be sick out of this world awesome. What if we turn a CB into a safety, could this work or add another dimension to this defense? Could more speed at this position be an asset? Just some thoughts.....
I have this feeling Whitner stays. I hear him talk a lot how he likes this team and the development of Reid. Of course I could be wrong and he takes $$>SB shot. If that's the case, we draft one that Reid can mentor and sign some insurance. I don't see a FA or someone on the roster already taking Whitner's spot.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Lance Schulters..

Seriously., Deone Bucannon

Rather have a healthy Jeff Fuller! Sadly, I had such respect for the guy!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
If Whitner doesn't return, I seriously think it will be because the 49ers don't want to pay him rather than him wanting a large amount of money.

With that said, the 49ers have shown willingness to place a Franchise Tag on a safety....what are the chances they do it again?

Consider the fact that Boldin and Dawson may indeed be re-signed to multi-year deals, and T.Brown/Carlos are released...there will be room to either re-sign Whitner or at least tag him for 2014. What's the Tag Amount for a Strong Safety this year?
Originally posted by SaksV:
If Whitner doesn't return, I seriously think it will be because the 49ers don't want to pay him rather than him wanting a large amount of money.

With that said, the 49ers have shown willingness to place a Franchise Tag on a safety....what are the chances they do it again?

Consider the fact that Boldin and Dawson may indeed be re-signed to multi-year deals, and T.Brown/Carlos are released...there will be room to either re-sign Whitner or at least tag him for 2014. What's the Tag Amount for a Strong Safety this year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
bout 7 mil
Deone Bucannan, SS, 6-1, 216lbs, Washington State
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
At first I was like let him go but after thinking more about it he seems to be the emotional leader in the secondary and he does set the tone even if the league calls BS calls on him.We should try our best to retain him
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Rather have a healthy Jeff Fuller! Sadly, I had such respect for the guy!

Definitely - Fuller was one of those linebacker-type SS. He was doing so well until the injury (can still see the play in my head vs. the Pats' RB Stephens).
gotta re sign hitner and boldin
Originally posted by lucky_49:

bout 7 mil

Jesus. 7 mil for a SS??

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by lucky_49:

bout 7 mil

Jesus. 7 mil for a SS??

Yeah, that's pretty steep.. Hopefully he'll accept something around 5 mil per over 4 years. If not, I'm not so sure he's worth more than 5.5

The problem is, if he goes and Brown goes AND Carlos is released, we literally have no veteran leadership in the secondary. That's scary. Reid is mature and in his second year, but I think it's asking too much of him to be a full-time leader while he's still developing. Brock is a quiet guy who's fairly young. Cully isn't a leader.

Free Agents I like: Mike Mitchell, Carolina...... Major Wright, Chicago
Rookies I like: Deon Buchanon, Washington....Calvin Pryor, Louisville.
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:20 AM ]
Bernard Karmell Pollard
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Bernard Karmell Pollard

Nope. Penalty machine.
I think veteran leadership in the secondary is over-rated. And, I really don't know how fans aren't on to what the NFL is trying to do with defensive secondaries. It should be obvious by now. How many bogus flags did Whitner draw this year? How many times did they throw a flag and then not fine him? He never got fined for anything, but these flags affected games. Does anyone think the NFL is not trying to change the way teams play defense in the secondary? Enforcing big hitters at the safety position are on their way out of the game. The game is going to evolve towards tight coverage all around. The Niners need both safeties to be like Eric Reid - speedy with good coverage skills. They can get that with any one of about three or four safeties available in the draft this year.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Pollard's range didn't look half bad when we played Tennessee. He's nothing more than a one year stopgap while you groom a rook.
Share 49ersWebzone