There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

The top three or four strong safeties in the draft will still be there at the end of the second and into the third round. And, there's a Kam Chancellor type guy, 6-2, 222, who is a tweener - almost linebacker size, Nick Williams, who may still be there in late rounds.
Just go with Bucannon, It payed off with Reid starting this past year im sure starting him opposite side with Reid wont be a weak point in our D will be fine with both of those guys out there
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good question. I don't think Spillman or Dahl is the answer. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Spillman. He seems to be a better tackler in open space.

Obviously my preference is to bring back Whitner. If that doesn't happen, see if we can get an experienced vet on a 1-yr deal, and draft his replacement in rds 2-4.

I'd also like to see Dahl cut. He makes too much money as a 4th safety. $2.3 mil salary next year makes him one of our top 15 highest payed players. I was OK with the signing at the time because Reid wasn't on the roster yet, and FS was a big ? mark. Now we have no need for him. We can get a much cheaper player to do his job.

If we choose to be copycats at do what Seattle is doing we will either find a bruiser like Chancellor or a rangy guy like Thomas who can play center field. Brock and Culliver have man to man skills for matching up on the outside. That's why to me trades are becoming a reality. I see us taking a DB and then a WR really early in this draft unless address it in free agency.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Just go with Bucannon, It payed off with Reid starting this past year im sure starting him opposite side with Reid wont be a weak point in our D will be fine with both of those guys out there

And he'll probably still be there when they use their second second round pick.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I was going to say this. In order to win in the NFC West, yes we need the traditional SS.
Dion Bailey. Former LB, iirc.
This guy:

Jerry Ricecakes
Craig Loston should come up to mind as well.
I don't want them to go for an "enforcer." I want a guy with serious coverage skills. That's the way defense is evolving. The NFL is not going to allow these hits that are designed to separate a receiver from a ball he's catching. I think a lot of fans don't get it yet, but those days are gone. The emphasis is going to be on tight coverage. The Niners replaced a safety who was at the top of the unnecessary roughness penalty list and replaced him with a rookie who had more speed, better coverage skills and got zero flags thrown against him all season. That's the way to go - two safeties who can run, cover and not extend drives with big hits drawing flags.
Dahl shouldn't even be in the discussion. Why he started so many games for the Rams is beyond me.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Dahl shouldn't even be in the discussion. Why he started so many games for the Rams is beyond me.

I was very underwhelmed with Dahl. I expected him to be faster and have a better feel for where the ball was going. I think they should do the same thing they did last year - take one of the best strong safeties available in the draft. Reid's had a year to get comfortable and he's very smart - he can call the coverages.
Spillman is not a starter by no means
Originally posted by crake49:
The top three or four strong safeties in the draft will still be there at the end of the second and into the third round. And, there's a Kam Chancellor type guy, 6-2, 222, who is a tweener - almost linebacker size, Nick Williams, who may still be there in late rounds.

Nick Williams will likely go undrafted. He'd be a good guy to try and develop over a couple years, put him on the practice squad and see what emerges.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Nick Williams will likely go undrafted. He'd be a good guy to try and develop over a couple years, put him on the practice squad and see what emerges.

I agree. The only reason I mentioned him is that he seems like the only guy in the draft who is close to Chancellor's size as a safety. But really, my first choice for a strong safety is another guy like Reid who is more of a coverage speed guy. As I said earlier, I think that's where secondaries are headed because I don't think the NFL wants "enforcers" anymore.
I hear Troy Polamalu might get released in Pitt (10 mil on the cap and they're 12 mil over)

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin....