There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who will play Strong Safety if Whitner leaves via Free Agency?

Assuming that we lose Whitner to free agency and that is an extremely strong possibility who plays SS? Is management and the coaching staff confident enough in Craig Dahl or even Bubba Ventrone? Or do we go out and sign someone or draft someone and hand them over the starting SS spot? I honestly haven't seen Dahl or Ventrone play SS and don't know if they would be good enough.
spillman will take his place.
Originally posted by niner4ever12:

Is Spillman any good? Can he hit? Can he cover?
[ Edited by Niner4ever on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM ]
Good question. I don't think Spillman or Dahl is the answer. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Spillman. He seems to be a better tackler in open space.

Obviously my preference is to bring back Whitner. If that doesn't happen, see if we can get an experienced vet on a 1-yr deal, and draft his replacement in rds 2-4.

I'd also like to see Dahl cut. He makes too much money as a 4th safety. $2.3 mil salary next year makes him one of our top 15 highest payed players. I was OK with the signing at the time because Reid wasn't on the roster yet, and FS was a big ? mark. Now we have no need for him. We can get a much cheaper player to do his job.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by niner4ever12:

Is Spillman any good? Can he hit? Can he cover?

It seems like every time I see Spillman on the field on D (which is a pretty small sample size), a pass is completed around him. I have no clue if that's because he's out of position or bad in coverage or just unlucky, but it makes me uncomfortable with the idea of him starting.

Definitely a baller on ST though.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good question. I don't think Spillman or Dahl is the answer. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Spillman. He seems to be a better tackler in open space.

Obviously my preference is to bring back Whitner. If that doesn't happen, see if we can get an experienced vet on a 1-yr deal, and draft his replacement in rds 2-4.

I'd also like to see Dahl cut. He makes too much money as a 4th safety. $2.3 mil salary next year makes him one of our top 15 highest payed players. I was OK with the signing at the time because Reid wasn't on the roster yet, and FS was a big ? mark. Now we have no need for him. We can get a much cheaper player to do his job.

Dahl makes 2.3M next year? Where is AB? What's the cap hit if we cut him?
The Answer is obvious and easy we move Chris Culliver back to safety pick up another corner (Vontae Davis plus 1) go bananas in the draft on Cb and safety depth. Harbaugh likes big bodied cbs
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
The Answer is obvious and easy we move Chris Culliver back to safety pick up another corner (Vontae Davis plus 1) go bananas in the draft on Cb and safety depth. Harbaugh likes big bodied cbs

Any idea what kind of numbers Vontae Davis is after?
Spillman is a baller on ST....but not much else. And Dahl is awful, literally can't have him out there for anything more than a limited amount of snaps. Neither of these guys are solutions.

I like the idea of bringing in a cheap vet for a short term deal and have him compete with the rookie we draft in the offseason for the starter job.
A rookie
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

Any idea what kind of numbers Vontae Davis is after?

We can get him for what we offered T Brown easily 2.5mil plus he'll be with his big bro and on a contender
Move Reid to SS then convert Culliver to FS

Boom
Somebody that isn't on this team, right now.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Somebody that isn't on this team, right now.

Most likely.

uhhhhhhhh... no