LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
We need a receiver that can stretch the field. WR talent is deep this year so go with CB first, WR second. ILB can be drafted after those needs are met.

This. Not sure why some have difficulty seeing this. All you have to do is look at how impotent the offense became anytime VD went out, they just fell apart. They have 3 possession receivers and no real deep threats to speak of, yet they have a QB with a cannon for an arm but no major downfield threats other than VD, that makes no sense to me.

Phoenix you are right BUT who at #30 overall at WR with Blazing speed will be their worthy? Most likely gonna take a major trade up unless Watkins somehow some way falls??

Brandin Cooks? Odell Beckham Jr is pretty quick and another speedster, Robert Herron, should be available by the third round.
Originally posted by Janitor:

These guys just heard their careers were over after knee injuries.

I never saw Jamal Lewis or Frank Gore's injuries, but Jerry Rice and Adrian Peterson's injuries did not look that bad. They were able to get up and walk around a bit before they realized they were injured.

Look at Peterson's injury. It is incomparable to Bowman's:

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I never saw Jamal Lewis or Frank Gore's injuries, but Jerry Rice and Adrian Peterson's injuries did not look that bad. They were able to get up and walk around a bit before they realized they were injured.

A turn acl is a torn acl dude. Unless it's a partial compared to a full, no difference. Once it snaps it snaps. Some just look worse because once the ligament is torn, if the knee is pushed it'll pretty much wobble around.
We need a receiver that can stretch the field. WR talent is deep this year so go with CB first, WR second. ILB can be drafted after those needs are met.

This. Not sure why some have difficulty seeing this. All you have to do is look at how impotent the offense became anytime VD went out, they just fell apart. They have 3 possession receivers and no real deep threats to speak of, yet they have a QB with a cannon for an arm but no major downfield threats other than VD, that makes no sense to me.

Phoenix you are right BUT who at #30 overall at WR with Blazing speed will be their worthy? Most likely gonna take a major trade up unless Watkins somehow some way falls??

TY Hilton went at number 92 overall. Wide receivers don't have to be top-15 talent to make an impact...we just need a little luck.

That said, I do think that CB is a more substantial need than WR (but not by much).

A turn acl is a torn acl dude. Unless it's a partial compared to a full, no difference. Once it snaps it snaps. Some just look worse because once the ligament is torn, if the knee is pushed it'll pretty much wobble around.

I believe that about the ACL itself, but there is more in a knee than ligaments. There are nerves, arteries, blood vessels, cartilage and muscle tissue as well.

I hope you are right.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

I believe that about the ACL itself, but there is more in a knee than ligaments. There are nerves, arteries, blood vessels, cartilage and muscle tissue as well.

I hope you are right.

Right, but those things (especially nerves arteries and blood vessels) aren't usually effected, and Bowman hasn't been listed as having any cartilage or muscle tears.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
When we look at the passing game, we should not forget that:

[b]Crabtree missed 11 games.

Mario Manningham missed 10 games.
Quinton Patton, who was also injured, missed 10 games.

Of course, I could argue that those missed games had no impact on the passing game.

But, then I could also argue that I am young, good looking, and intelligent.

edit: By the way, I am as old as the hills, as ugly as a dog, and as dumb as a rock.

I don't think so. You have proven that you have insight with this post.

Thank you, but I don't know.

Anyone with any sight at all has to see that our better wide receivers missed 31 games.

Anyone who can not see that those 31 missed games must have had a significant negative impact on the passing game has to be as blind as a bat.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Secondary is a huge need if Whitner goes and we lose some CB's to FA also. It could derail our entire season. A bigger need than WR for sure. We have Crabtree back next year and Patton. Boldin may leave. But so what? We still got VD and Crabtree. That's more than some teams have.

I agree with your statement...we have to keep that defense strong since it is our bread and butter. Losing secondary members, even though they are not great, still hurts the continuity of the defense. Crabtree and Boldin are pretty much the same type of receiver. Boldin is great but we have to find a big receiver that can take the top off the opposing defense. We made it to the dance without Boldin so it shouldn't hurt to lose him as much.
I think San Diego makes some fair points, however I think it is a moot point to a degree. I think we have more than enough picks to add quality pieces to both sides of the ball, including a wr or two. I see taking a receiver in the draft as much as a safe gaurd as helping Kap. We can't put ourselves in a position where an injury to Crab haurts us to the point it did this year. Then you have to consider that Boldin is a fa this year and Crab next, the Wr position may go through a state of flux in the next year or two. We need at least one more guy in the pipeline in case this happens. I also think that Kap is going to continue to grow, and will gain greater consistency in scanning his progressions. Getting to the the Super Bowl and NFC Championship game with a still developing QB has been nice , but I see much more to come from CK7.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
I think WR will be addressed, we may have Boldin back, i hope. The key to making the offense click is Kap, I agree he is a one read and run QB.
I like Kap but, I love the thought of more Lombardi's.
There needs to be more development as a passer( accuracy, reading defenses and knowledge of the game.
It hurt me to hear Kap say," I knew who I was going to throw the ball to before the play( Crab)". Harbaugh needs to correct that before the other receivers stop playing to win.
I think we need to get a SS Hitners future replacement, 2CB press type , WR burner ( Boldin future Replacement) , QB, OIinemen and OLB.
This team is stacked and remember we have 3 draftees from last year redshirted.

I agree with those.

Apparently you guys don't take in Johnnydel's or thl408 threads. They've shown numerous times Kap is NOT a one read QB.

They are NEVER going it "get it" especially the poster with SD in his handle. Kap even tried to get a TO before that fade, looking at Harbaugh, and what does JH do, he gives Kap a hand sigh to snap the ball, like damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. I have seen Kap go through his reads many, many times over this season; WHEN HE HAS THE TIME TO DO IT. Get it?

Going through extensive reads is partly/mostly a function of having pass blocking, especially if you want the QB to read more than one or two, not to mention the time to go through all of them and then come back to the best one that is still running a good route....

What's the use..Smith is gone, happily, get over it...if you can..

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
They are NEVER going it "get it" especially the poster with SD in his handle. Kap even tried to get a TO before that fade, looking at Harbaugh, and what does JH do, he gives Kap a hand sigh to snap the ball, like damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. I have seen Kap go through his reads many, many times over this season; WHEN HE HAS THE TIME TO DO IT. Get it?

Going through extensive reads is partly/mostly a function of having pass blocking, especially if you want the QB to read more than one or two, not to mention the time to go through all of them and then come back to the best one that is still running a good route....

What's the use..Smith is gone, happily, get over it...if you can..

You are entirely right on all fronts, but to respect the 2nd post from English:

1) I think we definitely need a deep threat WR. We cannot rely on that threat coming from Vernon Davis because it is too easy for him to get chipped at the line or caught in a melee before he can release. Further to this, and I am sorry to say it, Vernon does not seem to have the bravery to go over the middle, particularly against Seattle. We need a real burner WR that secondaries are going to respect, that will open up the targets for Kap.

2) We also need a new Centre and a new Guard imo. Goodwin, Davis and Iupati have been getting beat like drums all season in pass protection. For Kap to develop into the complete pocket passer that everyone wants to see (and I think he is a damn sight close to it) he needs a pocket to actually sit in and pass from. He can't be getting pressured as soon as he drops back. Kilgore needs to step up and prove he's the centre of choice, or we have to draft a very good prospect. We also need a guard. I would propose we move Boone to Right Tackle, Anthony Davis to guard, draft a centre and a guard and let Iupati walk - he is not holding his own in pass protection, he's injury prone and probably going to ask for too much money.

3) We need to improve at CB and Safety. I think moving up for Watkins won't happen, but I could see us maybe moving up for Clinton-Dix if he's so good. We need two athletic and good sized CB's, I think we will have Culliver, T Brock and Cox next season with Cox playing slot.

Things to bear in mind:

We have yet to see Carradine, Lemonier and Dial in action (Okoye may surprise people as well) and with TJE playing so well and Dobbs being reliable, I do not see us drafting DLine, we might pick up someone in free-agency. I think the front office will view the Dline as healthy for this season.

The running game is hard to evaluate because our OLine seemed to fall apart in run and pass blocking late in the season. I think Gore will still be getting us the hard yards with sprinklings of Lattimore, Hunter and hopefully LMJ. We will likely move towards a stable of backs next season, hopefully with some more plays for those not named Gore.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 27, 2014 at 3:52 AM ]
Strong possibility Crabs and Boldin could be gone very soon. Remember the Jackson/Battle days at WR? The s**t we gave Alex was always a problem. We should never do that to a 9er QB ever again. While I fully support the "keep the D strong" argument..still need long term answers at WR. If we keep Crabs long term and Boldin for a few years, I still want a big "6'3+" WR and a burner as well. Worse case scenario that Kap doesn't get it, shouldn't mean we have nothing for the next guy to throw to. And we always have injury at WR. Need better depth!!!

We got 13 picks, I think we're in a pretty good position to trade up
This. This is the time we need to trade up. We can't sign/afford all the picks anyway.
The more I think about this question the more I disagree with the title of the thread--we need a top WR. We have tried rentareceiver for a number of years with Boldin, Moss, Manningham, Edwards, Bruce, Johnson...and that's just going back to 2008. The team needs to develop some WR depth...even if you think Boldin will resign.

There are fewer FA WRs this year than other positions and none of them are likely to take a cut to sign with the niners. Boldin may be our best shot. I really believe WR is the top need this year with SS second if Whitner is gone. After that come CB and OL.
Crabtree is perfect for this offense. Got the hands, physical, can block down field, get up for a tough catch. He just lack a notch of quickness and speed.

We need another Crabtree with speed.
Share 49ersWebzone