Originally posted by SanDiego49er:~ Carradine - injured. Could not even play.~ Dial - 360 lbs. Slow, sluggish, not dynamic. He needs to lose weight.~ Smith - getting but still good for now.~ Ray Mac - injured and getting older.~ Dorsey - wasn't even our first choice at the position. Filling in for an injured player.I don't think I would say this is settled. We are relying on a lot of what if stuff here. And hope it works out. Not to mention Navarro Bowman went down. We don't know when he will be back or if he will be the same.
SD--I understand your point but to me WR is a huge need. You just can't have two good WRs and say case closed...particularly when one of them is an unsigned FA. If the team thinks Patton is the real deal that still leaves at least two question marks at the position. Why draft a WR in the first two rounds? Because there is quality through the second round and a CB/S worthy of the position may not be available. The way this team is built, and I have complained about it but it does make some sense, is to have quality across the board and no super stars. Even Skuta filled in at MLB and looked good. In this system there is a premium for experience and knowing your job. That's why a guy can be out but the team keeps chugging along. Only Kaepernick is irreplaceable at this point.
Breaking down your positions:
1. Carradine-- was a steal in the draft and the team knew he would need a year of rehab.
2. Dial--rookie surprise and a decent (at worst) back-up.
3. Smith--still has at least a few good years left unless he is injured (injuries can happen to any player).
4. McDonald--has been playing better than I ever believed he would but he may need to be replaced in a year or so (see Smith and injuries).
5. Dorsey--new to the team, still came in and did a good job when needed.
6. Jerod-Eddy--played very well in a back-up role and as needed.
7. Dobbs--good all around back-up, recall he did very well with A Smith on stunts a couple of years ago.
I have wanted a monster NT but that's not the way this defense is built so...to heck with it.
Brooks has played ILB, Skuta, Wilhoite...but I agree if Bowman can't come back they need to find a replacement. They are not likely to find that guy in the draft. Much more likely to fill in FAcy or from within.
Yes, I agree completely and there are numerous safeties listed as second/third round placement that I would be happy to see drafted. Buchanon, Ward, Dixon and Loston are all 2/3 on the CBS list. Actually, just checked and Loston has dropped on their list to 4th round. The only safety I see listed as a first rounder is Clinton-Dix and he is slotted above the niners pick.
This is your best argument to compete with WR need. There are a couple of CBs listed toward the end of the first round that might be tempting. But that still leaves the two seconds and three thirds open for quality WRs, S, LB, DL, C, or CBs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]