There are 248 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well who is the Justin Smith replacement? Who is the Ray Mac replacement? They both were injured in the last 2 years and both are getting older. Our NT was lost for the season. I don't think DL is settled. Secondary is obviously a huge need. DL is also a need IMO.

WR is ok. We can pick it later though. It doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

Carradine, Dorsey, Dial, TJE, Williams. Plus Smith and Ray Mac remain on the roster unless you are proposing to cut them.

Roster limit.
I'm not aware of any teams that use their tight end as their down the field play guy like we do. Boldin had a great year for us but him and Crabs are too similar and we need to let him go and find someone else.

FTR Brady was significantly down in every category this year and struggled massively at times.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bowman may never be the same. We don't know that for sure. And we have a lot of needs in the secondary. Ray Mac tore up his arm as was not the same. Justin Smith is getting older. Our NT was lost early in the year.

All I'm saying is a powerhouse top 3 type Defense will help Kaep who is still learning. He's not going to carry a team like Peyton Manning can without a great Defense or like Tom Brady can. This will actually help him. We should invest in keeping the defense strong. Very strong.

It's our best chance to win the way this team is built currently.

Forget Kaepernick.

Taking a defensive linemen in the first could easily make sense. It depends on who is on the board.
Last year, we took Carradine who will be able to replace either Justin Smith or Ray McDonald in near future.
As we look to the future, we could still use a high pick on a DE to go with Carradine.

If Stephon Tuitt is still on the board, I would be tempted to take him.

Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame 6-5 303

In the last two years, 26 games, Tuitt has had 19.5 sacks and 22 tackles for a loss.

The draft is deep in wide receivers. We should be able to get Jordan Matthews in the second.
If we build out this defense into a super powerhouse of young, big, fast players that will make it easier on Kaep who is still learning and growing and going through some growing pains. We will actually help him out with this. It's the best way forward IMO. This team is not built like a Peyton Manning team where he can carry it into the Super Bowl without one of the best defenses in the NFL. This will go as far as the defense carries it. That's been proven for 3 years now.

I think the game have changed because of the new rules making even the best of defense need a sustainable offense for some help. Years before when we talked about best defense in the NFL, it goes with out saying that it will be tough to catch the ball because receivers will get the snot knock out of them. Rushers on the qb will make the qb go down hard. The physical toll on that alone will dampened any good offense. Can't do those things any more. Defenses are now big and faster, but they can't sustain a mauling offense for very long. It will show towards late in the game with their miss tackles.

We need a good offense to help out the defense. Can't be a one sided football team and hope to some how sneak through the playoffs and win a SB. Must have both a good defense and a good sustainable offense.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Well who is the Justin Smith replacement? Who is the Ray Mac replacement? They both were injured in the last 2 years and both are getting older. Our NT was lost for the season. I don't think DL is settled. Secondary is obviously a huge need. DL is also a need IMO.

Carradine, Dorsey, Dial, TJE, Williams. Plus Smith and Ray Mac remain on the roster unless you are proposing to cut them.

Roster limit.

~ Carradine - injured. Could not even play.
~ Dial - 360 lbs. Slow, sluggish, not dynamic. He needs to lose weight.
~ Smith - getting but still good for now.
~ Ray Mac - injured and getting older.
~ Dorsey - wasn't even our first choice at the position. Filling in for an injured player.

I don't think I would say this is settled. We are relying on a lot of what if stuff here. And hope it works out. Not to mention Navarro Bowman went down. We don't know when he will be back or if he will be the same.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
If we build out this defense into a super powerhouse of young, big, fast players that will make it easier on Kaep who is still learning and growing and going through some growing pains. We will actually help him out with this. It's the best way forward IMO. This team is not built like a Peyton Manning team where he can carry it into the Super Bowl without one of the best defenses in the NFL. This will go as far as the defense carries it. That's been proven for 3 years now.

We still need weapons for kap. Theres no guarantee that boldin is coming back this year or that crabtree comes back after next year.

I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. Even if we do resign Boldin, it's for short term. We're still going to need to find a replacement for him and I'd rather do so sooner than later. And there's also no guarantee that Crabtree will even have a future on this team after this year. We need to draft at least 1 WR early. Doesn't need to be 1st but with one of our earlier picks is a must.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Bowman may never be the same. We don't know that for sure. And we have a lot of needs in the secondary. Ray Mac tore up his arm as was not the same. Justin Smith is getting older. Our NT was lost early in the year.

All I'm saying is a powerhouse top 3 type Defense will help Kaep who is still learning. He's not going to carry a team like Peyton Manning can without a great Defense or like Tom Brady can. This will actually help him. We should invest in keeping the defense strong. Very strong.

It's our best chance to win the way this team is built currently.

Forget Kaepernick.

Taking a defensive linemen in the first could easily make sense. It depends on who is on the board.
Last year, we took Carradine who will be able to replace either Justin Smith or Ray McDonald in near future.
As we look to the future, we could still use a high pick on a DE to go with Carradine.

If Stephon Tuitt is still on the board, I would be tempted to take him.

Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame 6-5 303

In the last two years, 26 games, Tuitt has had 19.5 sacks and 22 tackles for a loss.

The draft is deep in wide receivers. We should be able to get Jordan Matthews in the second.

Or Hageman from Minnesota. I would be ok with either. I would be ok with a 2nd round WR. Or 3rd round.
Keep in mind our secondary looked good this season in part because every team in our division has an average or below offense. Whenever we faced competent QBs we were torched, ryan, rodgers, Brady last year. We have an ok secondary but we need a strong safety and possibly another edge rusher IMO. Is manningham coming back?
[ Edited by ninerhippy on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:

We still need weapons for kap. Theres no guarantee that boldin is coming back this year or that crabtree comes back after next year.

I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. Even if we do resign Boldin, it's for short term. We're still going to need to find a replacement for him and I'd rather do so sooner than later. And there's also no guarantee that Crabtree will even have a future on this team after this year. We need to draft at least 1 WR early. Doesn't need to be 1st but 1 early is a must.

I'd be ok with one in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't there is much value there in the late first. The top guys will be gone. I'd rather pick one in the 2nd or 3rd round.
I think Alex Smith is a serviceable Quarterback but with limited physical ability.

This will not end well.
The 49ers need a running game. That is what made the NFC Championship unravel. Kaep couldn't throw because the running game was not working. Don't get me wrong, but Gore is getting older. We need a steamroller for a back to get the hard yards. There is a great blog post on CaliCousins.com about this very topic. I suggest you read it. It talks about running backs past the age of 30 and how they get less productive. the post is here: http://calicousins.com/2014/01/22/what-are-the-49ers-biggest-needs/
~ Carradine - injured. Could not even play.
~ Dial - 360 lbs. Slow, sluggish, not dynamic. He needs to lose weight.
~ Smith - getting but still good for now.
~ Ray Mac - injured and getting older.
~ Dorsey - wasn't even our first choice at the position. Filling in for an injured player.

I don't think I would say this is settled. We are relying on a lot of what if stuff here. And hope it works out. Not to mention Navarro Bowman went down. We don't know when he will be back or if he will be the same.

Well which of them are you going to cut? Because we can't keep accumulating DL.

I like the way you write off players though.
  • buck
  • Veteran

We could take Matthews in 2nd.
A cornerback in the second--I like Desir.

Jimmie Ward in the third.

We would still have a 3rd and presumed comp pick to get another wide receiver.

We do not need to take a wide receiver in the first to get a good one.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mysportbox:
The 49ers need a running game. That is what made the NFC Championship unravel. Kaep couldn't throw because the running game was not working. Don't get me wrong, but Gore is getting older. We need a steamroller for a back to get the hard yards. There is a great blog post on CaliCousins.com about this very topic. I suggest you read it. It talks about running backs past the age of 30 and how they get less productive. the post is here: http://calicousins.com/2014/01/22/what-are-the-49ers-biggest-needs/

We have to see what we have in Lattimore, before we go and start drafting more Rb's.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone