There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I love Boldin but I'd rather keep Crabtree long term and I don't see Boldin taking a discount.

Boldin will feed his family no doubt but I don't see Kap Aldon nor Crabtree based off production and the lack of any Pro Bowl nods this season being able to fetch top dollar on any extension. They will all get a pretty coin but I don't think we can't afford them. We will see but I understand that we want to keep Boldin after seeing what we looked like last year with one true WR. We want to give Kap two proven options there with VD and groom Patton and Vance
Aldon is gonn break the bank. Pass rushers always get paid top dollar. Every team in teh league will gladly take him off our hands if hte niners don't pay him regardless of the off the field issues. Aldon's production is off the charts
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I love Boldin but I'd rather keep Crabtree long term and I don't see Boldin taking a discount.

Boldin will feed his family no doubt but I don't see Kap Aldon nor Crabtree based off production and the lack of any Pro Bowl nods this season being able to fetch top dollar on any extension. They will all get a pretty coin but I don't think we can't afford them. We will see but I understand that we want to keep Boldin after seeing what we looked like last year with one true WR. We want to give Kap two proven options there with VD and groom Patton and Vance
Aldon is gonn break the bank. Pass rushers always get paid top dollar. Every team in teh league will gladly take him off our hands if hte niners don't pay him regardless of the off the field issues. Aldon's production is off the charts

aldon will get paid big time, whether is from us or someone else. he'll just have language in the contract voiding some of it if he continues to have off the field issues.
Our NT played very well. If Harbaugh knew how well Dorsey would play he would have gone into camp and the season as the starter. He's a guy I'd like to see re-signed.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by lamontb:

aldon will get paid big time, whether is from us or someone else. he'll just have language in the contract voiding some of it if he continues to have off the field issues.

Aldon and Kap will both get big contracts - but those big contracts may not kick in until next year. There does appear to be some strange false choices presented in these threads.

It is not true that the Niners need to "choose" between Boldin and Crabtree. They may be able to get Boldin on a 1 or 2 year deal (even without the "discount") AND Crabtree extended (even without a "discount"). Now, if you are talking about whether the Niners want to keep either Whitner, Rogers or Boldin you might be on to something...

The Niners won't overpay for these players, but they have proven that they will pay players.

Don't forget that the Niners are in very good salary cap position and they have a lot of room to maneuver.
No one really talks about this but it's relevant in the "We need a WR" talk. In 2012, Kap had Randy Moss. Moss stretched the field out of respect. Though we never hit the 9 route with Moss, he broke it off at 20 - 25yd and was IN FRONT of the safety for easy completions.

Moss value to us in 2012 didn't show up on the stat sheet. He was also good in the Crabtree development.

Not that I think we're going to find someone like Moss, we do need someone who stretches the field. He doesn't even need to show up on the stat sheet. TY Hilton had a monster game vs. Seattle and was the reason INDY beat them.
Originally posted by jbeale49:
No one really talks about this but it's relevant in the "We need a WR" talk. In 2012, Kap had Randy Moss. Moss stretched the field out of respect. Though we never hit the 9 route with Moss, he broke it off at 20 - 25yd and was IN FRONT of the safety for easy completions.

Moss value to us in 2012 didn't show up on the stat sheet. He was also good in the Crabtree development.

Not that I think we're going to find someone like Moss, we do need someone who stretches the field. He doesn't even need to show up on the stat sheet. TY Hilton had a monster game vs. Seattle and was the reason INDY beat them.

exactly. we need SPEED that takes the top end of defenses off and lightens up coverage medium range where our best wrs are. moss did this with the respect players gave him. were at a point with our simplistic passing game where we need a player whose talent outweighs his teams scheme or playcalling. someone who will excel no matter what. wev built for the future great in our past 3 drafts an offseasons this is the year we need to get the top players or player to cap this building process an will make all this building make an impact. we need this impact in our passing game now. sammy watkins and if not marqise lee. we need speed. even if they dont get the ball they will take a 1 db away from coverage and alot of the time 2 away. we saw what impact this makes with moss. we didnt have that this year. getting one of them is gonna be hard and costly but possible. barely any rookies are gonna make this roster so we need to swing for the fences whil we can an need it.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..

Well...

..."unpolished" is really kinda BS since it was pretty clear that Alex himself was the reason Crab was struggling (440 yards with Alex last year in 9 starts, 880 yards with Kap in 10 starts) and Alex didn't actually "get there", did he?

The idea here is to GET BETTER.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM ]
Originally posted by jbeale49:

IMO, it wasn't just Randy. It was also Delanie Walker who while not having a ton of receptions still led the team in yards per reception. He was a vertical threat that created space.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..

Well...

..."unpolished" is really kinda BS since it was pretty clear that Alex himself was the reason Crab was struggling (440 yards with Alex last year in 9 starts, 880 yards with Kap in 10 starts) and Alex didn't actually "get there", did he?

Crab gets yards with Kaep because he only looks at 1 WR. And Crab happens to be that guy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Crab gets yards with Kaep because he only looks at 1 WR. And Crab happens to be that guy.

Can you stop arguing dishonestly about Kaepernick?

Well...

...yet when Boldin was "that guy" the entire offense shut down. WR is a huge need.

Maybe they don't take one i round 1 because there are alot of WRs available in the draft and there is a better player at another position there when they draft...

...but WR is still a big need. In particular, a speed reciever.

Well...

...yet when Boldin was "that guy" the entire offense shut down. WR is a huge need.

Maybe they don't take one i round 1 because there are alot of WRs available in the draft and there is a better player at another position there when they draft...

Kaep won't look at a speed WR anyway. He will look at Crabtree and force it there. His deep ball is not that good anyway. A lot of overthrows and underthrows. He misses a lot to Davis. A speed WR is overrated on the WZ. We don't have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady throwing to him who can complete an accurate ball.

Well...

Kaep won't look at a speed WR anyway. He will look at Crabtree and force it there. His deep ball is not that good anyway. A lot of overthrows and underthrows. He misses a lot to Davis. A speed WR is overrated on the WZ. We don't have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady throwing to him who can complete an accurate ball.

OMG just stop with that BS.

Its pointless to argue with you (yet for some reason I'm doing it anyway) when you spew nonsense like that. Is Kap is great progression passer right now? No. He's improving though and will improve more as time goes on.

Your argument is just ludicrous tho. Our QB can't make reads so why bother giving him good players to throw to. Its one of the worst arguments I've ever read.

When Crab came back and gave Kap another target to throw to his numbers improved dramatically. Crab also wasn't the leading receiver in all those games.