LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Yeah then in the NFC title game we had 1 completed pass to a receiver and were sent packing home despite a dominant defense performance. So not this. Receivers aren't a number one priority but it's unlikely you get away with rag tag receivers. I really don't see the wisdom in resigning Boldin either. 6-8 mil for 3 years isn't a horrible deal but it will send Crabs packing.

Too much whining about Kap when he is the answer as hand picked by Harbaugh. Kap had a much higher QBR than most any other QB playing in SEA this year. As for Boldin, he was the Bill Walsh award winner. It makes some sense to try and retain him. You know our MO. We try to go into the draft in a position of strength with most every need already filled through free agency that way we draft for best player available and for depth and future needs
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Too much whining about Kap when he is the answer as hand picked by Harbaugh. Kap had a much higher QBR than most any other QB playing in SEA this year. As for Boldin, he was the Bill Walsh award winner. It makes some sense to try and retain him. You know our MO. We try to go into the draft in a position of strength with most every need already filled through free agency that way we draft for best player available and for depth and future needs

I love Boldin but I'd rather keep Crabtree long term and I don't see Boldin taking a discount.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaep had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter. That's how we lost.
True. He said as much but Kap and the defense was also the reason we were in the ballgame. Please tell me how many QBs have shined in SEA this year other than Wilson himself. They have a great defense and a young Kap gave a valiant effort he just came up short by about 18 yards. Dude will work to improve upon his efforts. And to get to 14-5 this season with one real WR most of the year and no deep threat other than the TE is a pretty good feat. We beat some pretty good teams on the road and almost beat SEA. I don't get this stuff bro!
I love Boldin but I'd rather keep Crabtree long term and I don't see Boldin taking a discount.

Boldin will feed his family no doubt but I don't see Kap Aldon nor Crabtree based off production and the lack of any Pro Bowl nods this season being able to fetch top dollar on any extension. They will all get a pretty coin but I don't think we can't afford them. We will see but I understand that we want to keep Boldin after seeing what we looked like last year with one true WR. We want to give Kap two proven options there with VD and groom Patton and Vance
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:26 AM ]
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..
Got where exactly? A single NFCCG that he lost?
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..
Got where exactly? A single NFCCG that he lost?

And yet folk forget that our two TE set that year was very dangerous when you have both VD and Delanie with the ability to stretch the field
It's too early to say what the biggest need is. We saw what CK looked like without Crabtree. He forced everything to Boldin. If we lose Boldin, WR does become our greatest need.

If we keep Boldin, fortifying the OL and DL does remain top priority with questions about multiple positions on both sides still lingering. Looking at those two units, we have to take into consideration a lot:

DL:
Justin Smith - still a beast, but even he admitted last year he's not sure how many years he has left. Maybe two more max?
RayMac - He should be OK, but you never know sometimes when coming off of an injury.
Ian Williams - coming off a season ending broken-bone injury. You hope he'll be okay, but again we can't be sure.
Carradine - Something didn't seem right the way he got shut down. We don't know for sure if the knee is OK or if this will be a lingering issue.

OL:
Iupati - His contract is up after next year.
Goodwin - His contract is up THIS year.
Kilgore - Apparently has not done enough to warrant replacing any starters when they're injured.
Snyder - Aging vet.
Looney - rather unknown at this point.
Marquardt - No idea what he can do. Coming off IR.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's too early to say what the biggest need is. We saw what CK looked like without Crabtree. He forced everything to Boldin. If we lose Boldin, WR does become our greatest need.

If we keep Boldin, fortifying the OL and DL does remain top priority with questions about multiple positions on both sides still lingering. Looking at those two units, we have to take into consideration a lot:

DL:
Justin Smith - still a beast, but even he admitted last year he's not sure how many years he has left. Maybe two more max?
RayMac - He should be OK, but you never know sometimes when coming off of an injury.
Ian Williams - coming off a season ending broken-bone injury. You hope he'll be okay, but again we can't be sure.
Carradine - Something didn't seem right the way he got shut down. We don't know for sure if the knee is OK or if this will be a lingering issue.

OL:
Iupati - His contract is up after next year.
Goodwin - His contract is up THIS year.
Kilgore - Apparently has not done enough to warrant replacing any starters when they're injured.
Snyder - Aging vet.
Looney - rather unknown at this point.
Marquardt - No idea what he can do. Coming off IR.

They really should draft a guard this year. Iupati always has trouble staying healthy. He also still has the occasional brain fart in pass pro which is aggravating.
It will be fun to watch Baalke with FAs this year, and not only our own. What needs will he fill through this avenue? If they have veterans at a position then I see rookies filling in the back ups. If they have young guys then veteran FAs may be used. The team puts a premium on experience so I don't see them drafting D or O linemen for depth. I do see them draft for SS as they have some veterans in back up positions already.

If they draft DL then I think it might finally be a NT who can keep the middle clean for Willis and Bowman (particularly after the injury to Bowman). They have overworked the ILBs the last two years to make up for a semi-weak middle. They are OK when they go four down linemen but teams have run against three guys. Of course, they may try to sign a FA NT but that's more expensive.
I completely agree. Our D is everything and our offense is overrated or underused. That said, it wouldn't be smart to draft a WR when we are desperate. Now is a good time to look for one that can work under Boldin and Crabtree. I'd rather not draft one and hope he's good AFTER crabs is gone cause he wants big money or boldin is retired..

So, by your logic, the Niners should be running the wishbone or triple option instead of giving Kaep some weapons? Kaep can only make one read so let's not give him any WR help to progress further. Spare me.

In regards to your other points, the Niners front office built this team on a power running game which relies on a strong offensive line and good RB's. The front office also built a great defense by assembling one of the best front sevens in the game. Do you honestly think they are going to just forget how to do that? The Niners will have twelve picks, two redshirt potential stars in Carradine and Lattimore, plus free agency to address all their needs.

The Niners definitely have work to do to become a champion again. I choose to believe that it can happen.
This.

Yeah then in the NFC title game we had 1 completed pass to a receiver and were sent packing home despite a dominant defense performance. So not this. Receivers aren't a number one priority but it's unlikely you get away with rag tag receivers. I really don't see the wisdom in resigning Boldin either. 6-8 mil for 3 years isn't a horrible deal but it will send Crabs packing.

Kaep had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter. That's how we lost.

i watched carson palmer a month earlier throw 4 int's up there (2 in the red zone) and they won the game. his turnovers did not help, but lets no act like thats the sole reason we lost the game

Boldin will feed his family no doubt but I don't see Kap Aldon nor Crabtree based off production and the lack of any Pro Bowl nods this season being able to fetch top dollar on any extension. They will all get a pretty coin but I don't think we can't afford them. We will see but I understand that we want to keep Boldin after seeing what we looked like last year with one true WR. We want to give Kap two proven options there with VD and groom Patton and Vance
Aldon is gonn break the bank. Pass rushers always get paid top dollar. Every team in teh league will gladly take him off our hands if hte niners don't pay him regardless of the off the field issues. Aldon's production is off the charts
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

Aldon is gonn break the bank. Pass rushers always get paid top dollar. Every team in teh league will gladly take him off our hands if hte niners don't pay him regardless of the off the field issues. Aldon's production is off the charts

aldon will get paid big time, whether is from us or someone else. he'll just have language in the contract voiding some of it if he continues to have off the field issues.
Our NT played very well. If Harbaugh knew how well Dorsey would play he would have gone into camp and the season as the starter. He's a guy I'd like to see re-signed.
Share 49ersWebzone