LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
WRs (rookie and/or free agent) will come to 49ers to die... just ask Roman!

What we need are 5 offensive linemen that are (at least) 4 ft in diameter and weighing over 385+ pounds with speed/stamina. That way, we can march our way into the end zone and into the SB for the 6th ring... since running plays are what Roman is only good at

I wonder what Boldin thinks about this free-agent-coming-to-SF-to-die claim.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

... just venting a little frustration over here
  • buck
  • Veteran

... just venting a little frustration over here

I noticed. You, most everyone else, and their dogs.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I noticed. You, most everyone else, and their dogs.

Man, I can't wait for the draft / training camp
WRs (rookie and/or free agent) will come to 49ers to die... just ask Roman!

What we need are 5 offensive linemen that are (at least) 4 ft in diameter and weighing over 385+ pounds with speed/stamina. That way, we can march our way into the end zone and into the SB for the 6th ring... since running plays are what Roman is only good at

Seriously, I think what Boldin does will answer many questions about the offense and the players perception of the potential for the passing game.
  • buck
  • Veteran

The team has won 5 Super Bowls.

I have been a 49ers fan for right around 35 years.

That is 30 years of not winning a Super Bowl.

My frustrations usually last about a day.

The team has won 5 Super Bowls.

I have been a 49ers fan for right around 35 years.

That is 30 years of not winning a Super Bowl.

My frustrations usually last about a day.

LOL! If you had been a fan during the sixties and seventies you would have more stamina for pain! Close many times only to have the Cowboys or others knock us out of the running! Nolan-seniors bend don't break, Brodie's interceptions at just the wrong time...seems like such a long time ago...oh, wait...it was! LOL! But the Walsh years wiped all that away, the Warriors won in the seventies and now the Giants have won a couple...but I agree--I WANT NUMBER SIX!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Last year, we were last in the league in pass attempts.

We had 26 dropped passes.

That was 7th worst in the league (dropped passes/pass attempts).

I do think we have a major need at wide receiver.

Is wide receiver our greatest need? I do not know—and I do not care.

It is clearly a major need.

Hidden in that stat is the type of scheme being run. It doesn't surprise me one bit that the AR offense has a lot of drops because the QB isn't always reading the field for the open guy, he's being coached to look for 1-1 match-ups for his favorite target and hoping that WR can defeat the coverage.

That stat doesn't surprise me at all.

Pretty deeply hidden.

But, hey I am not surprised.

I knew somebody would figure out a way to put the drops on the scheme or coaching staff.
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..
We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. I would love to see us draft 2 CB's, a SS, a DT and a Center with those picks but that also leaves us 2 other picks and I see no reason not to draft 2 talented young WR's. Wilhoite can replace Bowman until he gets back. Do you want to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on an ILB, then have Bowman come back and the player never starts again? We can get a good ILB in round 5 or 6 for depth.

As for Kap. He doesn't go through progressions well yet but he is beginning to learn. This was only his 1st full year starting. Hopefully he will make more strides and continue to grow. Perhaps if he had some WR's at the start of the season he might have seen more growth this year but Crabtree was out , Manningham never really came back and Patton missed most of the year. The other players we had were all scrubs so of course you are going to zero in on Davis and Boldin. Miller started catching some balls and then we lost him too. I don't want to see an injury or two and have nobody to turn to like we did this year.

Did you notice that after we started to get our WR's back we went on a long winning streak? If we had 1more talented WR on the roster maybe we win 1 more game early on. That gives us the division title, a bye week and home field throughout the playoffs and we are in the superbowl.

1 last thing. Kap has one of the strongest arms in the NFL and we have no true deep threat WR. Let's get a couple of talented young WR's in who can help stretch the field, make big plays and add some much needed depth. Besides, Wr's take time to develop and even if we get Boldin back he won't be here forever. 2 WR's and a Center. 3 picks for the offense.

That still leaves us 4 picks in the 1st 4 rounds to add to an already talented defense. With last years redshirt 2nd round pick Tank Carradine and 5th rounder Dial that should be sufficient additions to our defense.

thread opens with invalid b***hing about kaepernick being a 1-read qb

nope
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Alex got there with swain , Hastings and an unestablished unpolished Crabtree (and VD ) so what we have should be more than sufficient for almighty Kap.. Infact I think Boldin , Crabtree and Vernon are the best one two three in the final four( pats, broncos, hawks,49) and maybe in the league. Yeah we have to draft for the future but I see your point. We have a GREAT trio in place and Kap can't manage to find the open guy ..

This.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This.

Yeah then in the NFC title game we had 1 completed pass to a receiver and were sent packing home despite a dominant defense performance. So not this. Receivers aren't a number one priority but it's unlikely you get away with rag tag receivers. I really don't see the wisdom in resigning Boldin either. 6-8 mil for 3 years isn't a horrible deal but it will send Crabs packing.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:47 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
This.

Yeah then in the NFC title game we had 1 completed pass to a receiver and were sent packing home despite a dominant defense performance. So not this. Receivers aren't a number one priority but it's unlikely you get away with rag tag receivers. I really don't see the wisdom in resigning Boldin either. 6-8 mil for 3 years isn't a horrible deal but it will send Crabs packing.

Kaep had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter. That's how we lost.
Kaep had 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter. That's how we lost.

What does that have to do with the topic? If this is a Kap hate thread there's no need to discuss receivers. Let's review Boldin is a free agent and all likelihood his resigning will show Crabs the door. Your response Kap sucks.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone