LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Where is the analysis of Whitner looking like an a$$clown in coverage on that deep ball? I think Seattle had like 5 yards of total offense before this play. I seriously can't wait to be rid of his sorry a$$.

Post #48 of this thread. (you aren't going to like what you see)

thought that was Reid mostly looking like the assclown?
  • thl408
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Where is the analysis of Whitner looking like an a$$clown in coverage on that deep ball? I think Seattle had like 5 yards of total offense before this play. I seriously can't wait to be rid of his sorry a$$.

It was. That's why 49er fans won't like what they see. Our precious star rookie having a brainfart in his biggest game.

It was. That's why 49er fans won't like what they see. Our precious star rookie having a brainfart in his biggest game.

70% Reid epic failing and 30% Whitner then?
Bring it nexts season ! Bro ! I enjoy it ! GO ! 49ERS ! 2014 !
Originally posted by NCommand:

Gain of 22 yards.

Yuck...successful but threading a needle with 3 defenders and staring Crabtree down the entire way? Lucky!

Check that down to either Hunter/McDonald here and pick up some nice, easy positive yards (probably 10ish).

To me this throw he makes right here is why Kaep's ceiling is SO f**king high. he definitely has that Brett Favre gunslinger mentality in him. But this also shows how damn comfortable he is with Crabtree. You wouldn't see him make this throw to Patton or anyone else besides maybe Boldin

Completely agree with your assessment. He definitely has a lot of Brett Favre in him when it comes to slinging it but the fact that he can push the ball downfield the way he does gives me a lot of hope.

NCommand...I don't know what part of this you have a problem with. That throw was the reason he became the starting QB over Alex. Alex takes that dump down and gets a good 4 yards, while Kap pushes it downfield and picks up 22. You don't make it in this league as a big time QB by constantly dumping it off and not trying to thread the needle at times. Yes Rodgers will hit his check down but only after nothing is open downfield. Bet you 10 out of 10, Rodgers will make that same exact throw instead of hitting the flats.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
So the zone has gone from "Alex checks down too much" to "Kaepernick looks deep too much" effectively proving that the lay fan analysis is entirely "why didn't you do the opposite of what you just did, it would have totally worked!"

Exactly. It pisses me the f**k off. Clearly an Alex Smith fan favorite, so instead of looking at the BREAKDOWNS and FILM of the plays from an unbiased analytical judgement, the actual breakdowns are disregarded and the bias of opinion takes over.

Agreed...I'm taking the guy who can push the ball downfield and take chances in tight windows over the guy who throws check downs all day.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Completely agree with your assessment. He definitely has a lot of Brett Favre in him when it comes to slinging it but the fact that he can push the ball downfield the way he does gives me a lot of hope.

NCommand...I don't know what part of this you have a problem with. That throw was the reason he became the starting QB over Alex. Alex takes that dump down and gets a good 4 yards, while Kap pushes it downfield and picks up 22. You don't make it in this league as a big time QB by constantly dumping it off and not trying to thread the needle at times. Yes Rodgers will hit his check down but only after nothing is open downfield. Bet you 10 out of 10, Rodgers will make that same exact throw instead of hitting the flats.

Again, I'm NOT saying the outlet routes wouldn't have worked, on that specific play. Kap has disregarded check downs before and has missed them. And wasn't that play 3rd down? So that backs up why I believe that decision to throw to Crabs 1 on 1 was FINE. A check down you get tackled short and punt. Where have I tried to convince you it is a higher % play than the outlet routes? I said it was more of an,"in the middle" type of %. The closer you throw the ball to the LOS, the higher the %. You also understand the situation, what down we're in, and where the marker is, is important too right? Fact is, Crabtree's route was not impossible to complete.

As for the last play of the game, why such deep routes? That definitely is on Roman as well. Kaep has tremendous confidence in Crabs. To me, (probably not to you), it was a GOOD decision, but not the SAFEST know what I mean? 1 on 1 with Crabs, yeah, he's gonna take that anytime he can get it. The throw and the call sucked worse.

I have't checked the down/distance...good point...either way, I genuinely felt we could have picked up the 10 either way with McDonald or Hunter there...lots of room and I'd take them beating one man in the open field. But were splitting hairs here. I think we get each other's points now.

LOL. I fully 100% agree on the last point.

If that was a third down play, then that ends the discussion right there. Hunter and/or McDonald would have had to break at least one tackle to get the first down. If Kap waited and then looked right to McDonald, that linebacker you see dropping back to the left, would have changed direction and practically been on top of him by the time the ball got there. No way we get more than 5 yards on a checkdown in that situation.
Those checkdowns look nice and juicy at first, but by the time the quarterback turns to look, throws the ball, and then the ball is caught, and then the receiver turns up field, by the time all of that happens there are three defenders converging on the play and you end up with a minimal gain.

Also, when was the last time Kap threw an interception on a slant route to the middle of the field? Most of Kaps interceptions have been on balls he is trying to float high. His fastballs are rarely intercepted, if ever. Kap's laser cannon is a very high percentage weapon.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Just a correction here, Hunter was not open. watch the tape and you will see one of the Seattle linebackers come underneath. Hunter was turned to face Kap so he couldn't be led either.

We already discussed this...Hunter was WIDE open. That's a simple 7 yard float pass down the middle of the field or if he wanted him to go right he could have directed him that way with the throw. Either way, by the time CK was throwing the ball, the LB was already two-three yards in front of Hunter with Hunter waiting for a pass looking back at him.

But the argument here/concern is that CK rarely, if ever, looks to his check down...instead he is off scrambling or trying to buy more time with his legs. I don't know if that is CK and/or coaching. Why delay-flare out RB's and TE's as outlets if you're not going to utilize them in open space? And against an aggressive defense heavily focused on the the sideline coverages (b/c that's our bread and butter routes) and go-routes and containing CK on the edges, this was the time to take what the defense gave you, esp. in the 2nd half.

Does someone seriously want to justify NOT using check downs here? And I'm not talking every single time (ala Alex-style)...just more than once a game...a balance.

Hunter was NOT open. I question your ability to look at film if you think he was, watch LB jump the Hunter route:

I can only presume that you think it's an option to loft it over a 6'1" LB for a 5'7" RB to turn around and run after. Note though that Earl Thomas breaks his movement to Crabs to cover Hunter - so loft it over the LB, behind Hunter into an area that the safety is running down into.....
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:41 AM ]
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
So the zone has gone from "Alex checks down too much" to "Kaepernick looks deep too much" effectively proving that the lay fan analysis is entirely "why didn't you do the opposite of what you just did, it would have totally worked!"

Exactly. It pisses me the f**k off. Clearly an Alex Smith fan favorite, so instead of looking at the BREAKDOWNS and FILM of the plays from an unbiased analytical judgement, the actual breakdowns are disregarded and the bias of opinion takes over.

Agreed...I'm taking the guy who can push the ball downfield and take chances in tight windows over the guy who throws check downs all day.

I'm not...I'm taking the QB who can play both levels of professional QB and a balance between hitting those tight windows and checking down and taking what the defense gives you. When you are one dimensional you end up with 4 TO's and an INT on the final play of the game. Period.

I don't have an issue with the completed pass...we were using it to illustrate his lack of vision (or proper coaching) to utilize the check-downs via his progression reads. That's all.

Just a correction here, Hunter was not open. watch the tape and you will see one of the Seattle linebackers come underneath. Hunter was turned to face Kap so he couldn't be led either.

We already discussed this...Hunter was WIDE open. That's a simple 7 yard float pass down the middle of the field or if he wanted him to go right he could have directed him that way with the throw. Either way, by the time CK was throwing the ball, the LB was already two-three yards in front of Hunter with Hunter waiting for a pass looking back at him.

But the argument here/concern is that CK rarely, if ever, looks to his check down...instead he is off scrambling or trying to buy more time with his legs. I don't know if that is CK and/or coaching. Why delay-flare out RB's and TE's as outlets if you're not going to utilize them in open space? And against an aggressive defense heavily focused on the the sideline coverages (b/c that's our bread and butter routes) and go-routes and containing CK on the edges, this was the time to take what the defense gave you, esp. in the 2nd half.

Does someone seriously want to justify NOT using check downs here? And I'm not talking every single time (ala Alex-style)...just more than once a game...a balance.

Hunter was NOT open. I question your ability to look at film if you think he was, watch LB jump the Hunter route:

I can only presume that you think it's an option to loft it over a 6'1" LB for a 5'7" RB to turn around and run after. Note though that Earl Thomas breaks his movement to Crabs to cover Hunter - so loft it over the LB, behind Hunter into an area that the safety is running down into.....

With 2 TO's and the middle of the field wide open? I'll take a simple 7 yard lob pass over a LB who is 3 yards in front of Hunter...direct him right down the middle of the field over a 35 yard fade route pass to the corner of the EZ against Sherman. Call me crazy...

But seriously, you can't see how open Hunter was prior to AND as CK was passing? Simple...SIMPLE NFL pass here. Now if the LB was behind Hunter, I agree. But that LB is spying CK all the way IMHO (totally lost Hunter).

But it's cool...we can agree to disagree here on this one.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM ]
With 2 TO's and the middle of the field wide open? I'll take a simple 7 yard lob pass over a LB who is 3 yards in front of Hunter...direct him right down the middle of the field over a 35 yard fade route pass to the corner of the EZ against Sherman. Call me crazy...

But seriously, you can't see how open Hunter was prior to AND as CK was passing? Simple...SIMPLE NFL pass here. Now if the LB was behind Hunter, I agree. But that LB is spying CK all the way IMHO (totally lost Hunter).

I think that play works if Anthony Davis wasn't beaten to his inside shoulder. Kap would have been able to step up and lure the LB in a little closer and then it is an EASY pass. From where he was standing, I think that is a very difficult pass that might end with the same result. The LB that caught the tipped ball for the INT didnt sprint toward Crab until it was released. He would have probably been in position to jump the route on Hunter if Kap elected to go there.

I see it as another option outside of the throw to Crab, but could have gone just as bad if his accuracy was off like it was on the throw to Crab. IMO the best thing he could have done is gunned it out of the back of the endzone. This play was busted from the get-go
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

I think that play works if Anthony Davis wasn't beaten to his inside shoulder. Kap would have been able to step up and lure the LB in a little closer and then it is an EASY pass. From where he was standing, I think that is a very difficult pass that might end with the same result. The LB that caught the tipped ball for the INT didnt sprint toward Crab until it was released. He would have probably been in position to jump the route on Hunter if Kap elected to go there.

I see it as another option outside of the throw to Crab, but could have gone just as bad if his accuracy was off like it was on the throw to Crab. IMO the best thing he could have done is gunned it out of the back of the endzone. This play was busted from the get-go

CK launched a 35 yard pass (roughly)...you don't need to step into a simple 7-yard lob pass here at all. And with lob passes, ala Montana, you simply "lead" the receiver with your pass where you want him to go. Here the LB is crouched down spying CK...you give Hunter the ball here and I'll take him on anyone with a head start and an open field. One thing he is electric at is his first step (and catching)...no way IMHO does this LB even get close to him in the open field.

But to your point, CK is pretty bad at the simple touch pass (not sure about straight ahead though) and knowing him, he probably doesn't lob it but straight-lines it. LOL. Yeah, it totally was unfortunately.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM ]
I'm not...I'm taking the QB who can play both levels of professional QB and a balance between hitting those tight windows and checking down and taking what the defense gives you. When you are one dimensional you end up with 4 TO's and an INT on the final play of the game. Period.

I don't have an issue with the completed pass...we were using it to illustrate his lack of vision (or proper coaching) to utilize the check-downs via his progression reads. That's all.

Okay, then you risk checking it down so much that the game can simply end on a failed attempt at getting a first down on 4th down. What you're basically saying is you'd taking Alex Smith over Colin Kaepernick. There I said it. You can take what the defense gives you by NOT checking down as well. Nothing wrong with dinking and dunking. Niners got the look they wanted on that final play. Kaepernick said it this morning on Mike and Mike if he could replay that play 10 times over nothing would change. He also said it himself he wishes he had thrown a better ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/4951/kaepernicks-comments-show-poise

(Video)

He plays to win A better throw, and that's a f**king touchdown, and we're not even having this stupid ass debate.

Okay, then you risk checking it down so much that the game can simply end on a failed attempt at getting a first down on 4th down. What you're basically saying is you'd take Alex Smith over Colin Kaepernick. There I said it. Not a bad thing, you're just one of those fans. Which is fine. Point is, both styles have flaws. (lack of a better term). You can take what the defense gives you by NOT checking down as well. Nothing wrong with dinking and dunking. Niners got the look they wanted on that final play. Kaepernick said it this morning on Mike and Mike if he could replay that play 10 times over nothing would change. He also said it himself he wishes he had thrown a better ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/4951/kaepernicks-comments-show-poise

(Video)

He plays to win A better throw, and that's a f**king touchdown, and we're not even having this stupid ass debate.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone