There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Tried viewing this thread in detail like I normally do, and I just can't do it. f**k the Seahawks.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
NCommand what you aren't seeing is that it's the perfect play called and the perfect read/throw and we just need better players to execute.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS OFFENSE.

Nothing to see here.

/sarcasm

B/c it worked! Got it. LOL j/k as well.
So the zone has gone from "Alex checks down too much" to "Kaepernick looks deep too much" effectively proving that the lay fan analysis is entirely "why didn't you do the opposite of what you just did, it would have totally worked!"
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I honestly don't blame CK for this. To me this is a BIG coaching issue. Somewhere (it seems) around mid-season or maybe even when Crabs came back, we started flaring our RB's, TE's and FB's out more as outlets for CK (usually delayed routes) instead of staying in to block. Those check-downs have been WIDE open all year long too and against a supremely aggressive defense focused on covering VD, Boldin and Crabtree on the sidelines and CK on the edges, those check-downs were open all game long and as a team, sometimes you just have to take what the defense is giving you. Any of us fans can see these guys open (even Hunter on the final INT)...so how does Mangini, Roman and his 5-cast-staff, plus Harbaugh NOT see this and tell CK, "Look to your AR/primary read, if you have time, get to your second and if still not there, check to your outlets...they'll be there." This was especially true in the second half when we decided (maybe countered by the Hawks adjustments) to stop using CK as a designed runner. To me this is basic coaching 101. We didn't use the check-downs all year long and if HaRoMan wanted to use their smoke-and-mirrors approach, like using CK as a primary runner in the first half, THIS would have been the time b/c nobody was expecting us to take what the defense gave us and exploit the middle of the field on check-downs with McDonald, Hunter, James and Gore.

Just a correction here, Hunter was not open. watch the tape and you will see one of the Seattle linebackers come underneath. Hunter was turned to face Kap so he couldn't be led either.
If the ball had gotten to Crabtree on our final throw and Kaep had put enough air under it that no one but Crabs would have caught it and he caught it in the corner and we won then everyone would have been happy but we still would have been picking over the bones and said that Kaep is playing a high risk game. And the conclusion would be if it had gotten to Crabs and he caught it and we won, we would all agree that it is high risk and high reward or high risk and sad reward. This time it did not work. So back to the drawing board.
I know 99% of the conversation is about Kap, but to me it's just as big a problem that our run game was so inconsistent this year. Doesn't help Kap out at all when he faces so many 2nd or 3rd and longs because of run plays that got blown up in the backfield.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Im saying i dont think it was a designed run for Kaep. I think Kaep made the decision to keep it himself. That ball was supposed to go to the RB

The gameplan was designed around Kaepernick and him running. This was play design all the way........
Originally posted by thl408:

Gain of 22 yards.

Yuck...successful but threading a needle with 3 defenders and staring Crabtree down the entire way? Lucky!

Check that down to either Hunter/McDonald here and pick up some nice, easy positive yards (probably 10ish).

To me this throw he makes right here is why Kaep's ceiling is SO f**king high. he definitely has that Brett Favre gunslinger mentality in him. But this also shows how damn comfortable he is with Crabtree. You wouldn't see him make this throw to Patton or anyone else besides maybe Boldin
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:12 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
so people can shut up now about how we run passing plays that consist of High school WR route running concepts?

Why? We said all along if you see 3 and 4 (even 5) receiver sets it's almost always a pro-style (PS) play...same concept here. It looked like the #1 read was Patton, then Boldin but CK didn't hit either on the crossing route so like a lot of our successful play designs, execution centered around "ad lib." CK and Crabtree did well ad libbing even though CK by design, probably had Patton initially, certainly had Boldin the whole way and settled for the deeper Crabtree route...good adjustment by Crabtree. Since Crabtree came back our ad lib plays have been WAY better esp. in the EZ. Also, ever since Crabtree has come back, we've seen more PS plays as well.

That had been said about our WR routes not this year but prior as well. And I'm talking about DESIGN specifically
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
This play is from the drive that resulted in the second TD for the 49ers. A couple good things from Kap here.

Here's just another of the many times SEA played a hybrid coverage. Sherman (top of screen) will play a deep zone, while Maxwell has man coverage on Crabs (bottom of screen).

Below: Kap drops back and looks to his right. Both Boldin and VD are trying to attack Sherman's deep zone with vertical routes. Only Earl Thomas' legs can be seen here as ET follows Kap's eyes.

Below: Other view, a tenth of a second later. ET has moved further to that side of the field (compare using the hash marks). Chancellor (#31) and the strong side LB has gotten good depth on their drops into zone coverage. Kap will red light both these routes.

Below: Kap turns his attention to Crabs 1 on 1 with Maxwell and with the deep safety out of the way, Kap decides to pull the trigger on the deep slant.

Below: Same moment in time as picture above.

Gain of 22 yards.

Yuck...successful but threading a needle with 3 defenders and staring Crabtree down the entire way? Lucky!

Check that down to either Hunter/McDonald here and pick up some nice, easy positive yards (probably 10ish).

Also, clearly you didn't see his break down of that picture. Kaep didn't stare Crabs down at all. Please pay attention to the breakdowns before you criticize Kaep.
Rodgers also killed us playng smart and going to his check downs for one of their TD drives b/c our pass rush was eating them up. They methodically marched down the field and scored a TD. Smart. This is CLEARLY an area CK doesn't look to...very very rarely (unless it's a design). And please explain to me why he couldn't have gone to McDonald or Hunter in check-down once he looked right (covered) and then saw 3 defenders on Crabtree on the left?

I have no issues with the accuracy of the throw but the decision overall here.

This "mentality" (ultra tight windows, going to Crabtree no matter what, throwing THROUGH defenders, etc.) has now cost us a Superbowl and an NFCCG.

Because those were his LAST reads, and Crabtree was clearly his 2nd/3rd. Did you even see the breakdown thl408 did of that play? and Seattle didn't have 3 defenders ON Crabtree. They had ONE. The other 2 were covering their respective ZONES. Please don't make assumptions like how Kaep, "stared Crabtree all the way!" without reading thl408's breakdown first.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
So the zone has gone from "Alex checks down too much" to "Kaepernick looks deep too much" effectively proving that the lay fan analysis is entirely "why didn't you do the opposite of what you just did, it would have totally worked!"

Exactly. It pisses me the f**k off. Clearly an Alex Smith fan favorite, so instead of looking at the BREAKDOWNS and FILM of the plays from an unbiased analytical judgement, the actual breakdowns are disregarded and the bias of opinion takes over.
Still no jonnydel?
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
Just a correction here, Hunter was not open. watch the tape and you will see one of the Seattle linebackers come underneath. Hunter was turned to face Kap so he couldn't be led either.

We already discussed this...Hunter was WIDE open. That's a simple 7 yard float pass down the middle of the field or if he wanted him to go right he could have directed him that way with the throw. Either way, by the time CK was throwing the ball, the LB was already two-three yards in front of Hunter with Hunter waiting for a pass looking back at him.

But the argument here/concern is that CK rarely, if ever, looks to his check down...instead he is off scrambling or trying to buy more time with his legs. I don't know if that is CK and/or coaching. Why delay-flare out RB's and TE's as outlets if you're not going to utilize them in open space? And against an aggressive defense heavily focused on the the sideline coverages (b/c that's our bread and butter routes) and go-routes and containing CK on the edges, this was the time to take what the defense gave you, esp. in the 2nd half.

Does someone seriously want to justify NOT using check downs here? And I'm not talking every single time (ala Alex-style)...just more than once a game...a balance.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Rodgers also killed us playng smart and going to his check downs for one of their TD drives b/c our pass rush was eating them up. They methodically marched down the field and scored a TD. Smart. This is CLEARLY an area CK doesn't look to...very very rarely (unless it's a design). And please explain to me why he couldn't have gone to McDonald or Hunter in check-down once he looked right (covered) and then saw 3 defenders on Crabtree on the left?

I have no issues with the accuracy of the throw but the decision overall here.

This "mentality" (ultra tight windows, going to Crabtree no matter what, throwing THROUGH defenders, etc.) has now cost us a Superbowl and an NFCCG.

Because those were his LAST reads, and Crabtree was clearly his 2nd/3rd. Did you even see the breakdown thl408 did of that play? and Seattle didn't have 3 defenders ON Crabtree. They had ONE. The other 2 were covering their respective ZONES. Please don't make assumptions like how Kaep, "stared Crabtree all the way!" without reading thl408's breakdown first.

We already retracted on that above...CK checked off the S by looking right first...the S was stuck in no-man's land between covering VD or Crabtree. So you're saying CK in incapable of chosing his third read (two check downs open - clerly, the easiest of the 3 passing options)? Either way, again, it was a low % pass. Against Seattle with 4 TO's, I'd perhaps coach up CK to go with the higher % plays and force Seattle to adjust like they had to to start the 2nd half. Then you can go back to your FT intermediate passing game IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]