There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Put Kap on the move and let him make a play like he did on both TDs vs CAR or try a read option like we did vs GB when Gore scored. Anything but go for broke vs Sherman there. Yes. The timeout to put Kap on the move or in a run action fake could have been the safer play. Hate that it ended for us this way but I pray we make less mistakes next time out in SEA

This
Would like to see analysis of Gore's 11 carries. Huge question as to whether he still has anything left or if he's done. Run game was shut down way too many times this yr and it's always easy to point the finger at the RB. I tend to always give him the benefit of the doubt since he was never a burner to begin with.
Podcast brought up a good point...focused on the vanilla routes run this game but also noted that we ran at least a few bunch formation routes in week 14 so that the DB's couldn't get up at the LOS and mug our WR's...and very little pre snap movement or even lining up guys like Boldin in the slot to create additional space. We didn't do that this game.
Originally posted by znk916:
Would like to see analysis of Gore's 11 carries. Huge question as to whether he still has anything left or if he's done. Run game was shut down way too many times this yr and it's always easy to point the finger at the RB. I tend to always give him the benefit of the doubt since he was never a burner to begin with.

All but one right up the gut...you saw the totals on the previous pages. Predictable play calling esp. on 1st downs and Seattle was all over it. That said, Gore has lost his initial burst and I've seen too many times he's being tackled from behind IN the hole or before he even gets started. Granted I don't like him running out of the Q formation where you have to run 5 yards JUST to get to the LOS (many TFL) but he's not bursting through the holes anymore as much IMHO...but we don't use Hunter/James either so I'm unsure if it's nagging injuries, he was worn down late again, formations, lost his speed/burst, etc. solo or coupled with poor OL against 9-10 men in predictable play calling.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Had Kap open up to his left where Vernon and Q were, those defenders would have also open up to them. Plus most folks are thinking these guys were open after the ball was released on replay, but if you watch it from the beginning, you will see they weren't. The best thing to do in that situation that's going un-talked about is that they should have taken a timeout but that's on Harbaugh and the coaching staff.

Nah I gotta disagree with you on that one. The body language of the corner and lb on the left side looked like they let Boldin loose after he was even with them. Kap looked Thomas over to crabtree, the LB reacted to Vernon running the out, and guy over Boldin let him through and step out and in towards patton, all before they knew what Kap did.

That being said it was a doable but would have been a tight play. Kap would have had to look off Crabtree then come back to Boldin blindly with that pass rusher already on his heels.
Originally posted by NCommand:
All but one right up the gut...you say the totals on the previous pages. Predictabcle play calling esp. on 1st downs and Seattle was all over it. That said, Gore has lost his initial burst and I've seen too many times he's being tackled from behind IN the hole or before he even gets started. Granted I don't like him running out of the Q formation where you have to run 5 yards JUST to get to the LOS (many TFL) but he's not bursting through the holes anymore as much IMHO...but we don't use Hunter/James either so I'm unsure if it's injuries, worn down late, formations, predictabiity, lost speed/burst, etc.

What are you talking about? There was so much defensive penetration the only holes Gore had to choose from were the spaces between Seahawk kneecaps. It's was that way against Carolina too. Gore is still the only guy we have who can reliably juke a defender in the open field. So why the kvetching?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NCommand:
All but one right up the gut...you say the totals on the previous pages. Predictabcle play calling esp. on 1st downs and Seattle was all over it. That said, Gore has lost his initial burst and I've seen too many times he's being tackled from behind IN the hole or before he even gets started. Granted I don't like him running out of the Q formation where you have to run 5 yards JUST to get to the LOS (many TFL) but he's not bursting through the holes anymore as much IMHO...but we don't use Hunter/James either so I'm unsure if it's injuries, worn down late, formations, predictabiity, lost speed/burst, etc.

What are you talking about? There was so much defensive penetration the only holes Gore had to choose from were the spaces between Seahawk kneecaps. It's was that way against Carolina too. Gore is still the only guy we have who can reliably juke a defender in the open field. So why the kvetching?

See above...he was asking for a Gore analysis as well. TBH I noted the 11 caries for 13 yards wasn't his fault at ALL d/t the predictable play calling but I was also noting Gore's abilities that seem to be declining esp. towards the ends of the seasons which is to be expected at this stage.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
...just a general question: What was it with all the missed connection fake handoffs this season? I think I must have seen at least 1 per game. I'm being conservative. What is up with that? It might be beneficial actually because the d hesitates for a 1/2 second thinking its going to be a busted play. It's weird. I just wondered if anyone noticed this or had comments about it.

the fake is part of the original play call, But due to how the Defense lines up or blitz, dictates where the running back actually goes cause his first responsibility is protection before a play fake..
Originally posted by defenderDX:
guess Jonnydel isn't over the loss yet, lol

I'm not either
Gore is Done. Sure he'll pop a 30 or 40 yarder here and there in the 4th Quarters like he did vs the Chickens in December and vs Carolina on the playoffs But he just doesn't have the power or quickness or speed that he used to have. In the NFCCG, I seen Kendall Hunter take the ball and actually get a couple nice gains because he used his quickness and I seen Gore get BURIED a few times right at the LOS. 49ers need to really think about telling Gore to take a Massive Paycut or I hate to even say it but release him? He's an all timer but his best days are behind him.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Gore is Done. Sure he'll pop a 30 or 40 yarder here and there in the 4th Quarters like he did vs the Chickens in December and vs Carolina on the playoffs But he just doesn't have the power or quickness or speed that he used to have. In the NFCCG, I seen Kendall Hunter take the ball and actually get a couple nice gains because he used his quickness and I seen Gore get BURIED a few times right at the LOS. 49ers need to really think about telling Gore to take a Massive Paycut or I hate to even say it but release him? He's an all timer but his best days are behind him.

Been hearing this for the past 4 or 5 years now. It's getting old. Gore was not the problem. Seattle was living in our backfield. Part of that had to do with the quickness of their front 7, and the crowd noise forcing us to use predictable snap counts. They were getting great jumps off the snap all game long.

Hunter only had 3 carries, so it's not like he had proven, consistent production against that defense. He had one nice play on a stretch run. He certainly has speed to turn the corner that Frank doesn't have. You can't repeat that 20-25 times a game with success. You need a between the tackles runner. We tried to get it done, Seattle's front 7 was too much for us to handle.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
Yeah but maybe in an odd way Gore is Holding back the offense and potential explosiveness on offense?
Yeah but maybe in an odd way Gore is Holding back the offense and potential explosiveness on offense?

I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind. Depends what we want to do on offense. Many people want to see us spread the field a little more. Use the FB less, and either go 3-wide or 2 WR/ 2 TE more often. If that's the case, then yes, we should use speedier RBs. But I really don't have a problem with Frank's running style. He's still very effective. Doesn't look pretty, but production is production.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

What I mean by that is the 49ers offensive coaching is TOO dependent on Gore and not giving LMJ and Kendall and Dixon enough carries to let them develop into Good NFL backs. No way to get better if your riding pine. C'mon now.