There are 169 users in the forums

Film analysis of the NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Interesting perspective from Matt Maiocco.

"Colin Kaepernick made the decision pre-snap to throw to Michael Crabtree, matched in single coverage against Richard Sherman, in the end zone on a stop-and-go route. The mistake was not the decision to challenge Sherman. The mistake that Kaepernick made was that he immediately telegraphed the throw. When he locked onto that throw, it gave linebacker Malcolm Smith enough time to trail the play to get into position for the interception. If Kaepernick had just given a quick glance to the left side, Smith would have been frozen and there's no way he would've gotten to the spot in time to intercept the pass. It would have been an incompletion, and the 49ers would've had a couple more chances."

Even though his decision was to go to Crabs pre-snap, there's no reason to think he couldn't have tried to look off the Safety/Linebacker?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/what-49ers-must-do-overtake-seahawks

Again, the problem is that he had no time for any of this. He had time to throw to Crab or throw it away. Avril had Davis pushed off the LoS so quick, Kap had to make a quick decision. Funny, Avril did the same thing to cause Manning to throw the pick 6 tonight. Sometimes you can't keep placing blame on what could have been done. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the defense and say they just made the play and we didn't. Avril crushed Davis on that play, Kap made a bad throw, and Crab did not get open.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

"Colin Kaepernick made the decision pre-snap to throw to Michael Crabtree, matched in single coverage against Richard Sherman, in the end zone on a stop-and-go route. The mistake was not the decision to challenge Sherman. The mistake that Kaepernick made was that he immediately telegraphed the throw. When he locked onto that throw, it gave linebacker Malcolm Smith enough time to trail the play to get into position for the interception. If Kaepernick had just given a quick glance to the left side, Smith would have been frozen and there's no way he would've gotten to the spot in time to intercept the pass. It would have been an incompletion, and the 49ers would've had a couple more chances."

Even though his decision was to go to Crabs pre-snap, there's no reason to think he couldn't have tried to look off the Safety/Linebacker?

Again, the problem is that he had no time for any of this. He had time to throw to Crab or throw it away. Avril had Davis pushed off the LoS so quick, Kap had to make a quick decision. Funny, Avril did the same thing to cause Manning to throw the pick 6 tonight. Sometimes you can't keep placing blame on what could have been done. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the defense and say they just made the play and we didn't. Avril crushed Davis on that play, Kap made a bad throw, and Crab did not get open.

Yep. Davis always comes up big for us in those clutch moments. Didn't he get pushed back into Kap last play of the last superbowl too?
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Sherman had Crabtree blanketed. Throw it away. Kaep tried to give Crabtree a chance even visually seeing Crabtree doesn't have the advantage or the position on the play. Kaep needs to make better split second decision. We love his talent. Better decisions doe.

Some people including Kaep have said to throw it a little further toward the corner, but it's not like Sherman can't lunge for the ball with Crabtree. Sherman basically shielding Crabs from any attempt at the ball.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by kujon11:
thl, can you break down the play with the lmg end around pass option? i wanted to see if kaep was actually covered or not

4Q 1st & 10

Below: KJ Wright (the smaller defender) obeys his backside responsibility and doesn't try to track down LMJ from behind. Crabs (can only see his legs) clears the area by running Maxwell downfield.

Below: Same moment in time as picture above. Had KJ Wright been undisciplined, Kap may have been available.

Below: I think that because Kap realized Wright was not fooled, Kap did not attempt to go out on a route. This makes it an easier decision for LMJ to just keep the ball and not force anything. Notice Snyder and Staley look to the other side of the field. This leads me believe there was indeed something that was supposed to happen to the weak side of the formation.

Gain of 0.
  • thl408
^^ That play might have worked early in the game, but after already running a naked QB bootleg earlier in the game with success, and with the way the 49er run game was getting stuffed all game long, there was no reason for Wright to feel like he had to track LMJ from behind. The bigger threat is Kap, even though he pitched it to LMJ. Poor time to run this play.
Nothing there. Good decision by James. Maybe a cut back into the middle by James might have netted positive yards going against the flow of the defense . He had blockers there.
^^^ that play was a stupid call to begin with
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

yep, it didn't take much research to see that Seattle is a disciplined defense and the play was doomed to fail.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

yep, it didn't take much research to see that Seattle is a disciplined defense and the play was doomed to fail.

The timing of it was insane... Mr. 9 in the box wants to be creative with the game on the line
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Nothing there. Good decision by James. Maybe a cut back into the middle by James might have netted positive yards going against the flow of the defense . He had blockers there.

thanks for the analysis thl. i was wondering why he didnt get back as well

Originally posted by BrianGO:
This is actually the better angle. You can really see how the throw was effected by the pass rush into Kap's face.
You can also see that if the throw had more air, and was perfect, its a touchdown. The difference is the pass rush. It's the reason Dick s**tman has success on this defense.

defenderDX, JDMathews49ers & Buchy...you three seem to be on an after-defeat rampage but I like this view as well. I can't blame you...we've lost the last three playoff games (2 NFCCG and 1 Superbowl) on the final play of the game, essentially!

You can clearly see Irvin 100% squatted, facing and focused on CK (spying CK all the way)...totally ignores Hunter's route who's 3 yards behind Irvin and 1 yard to the right. This is great scouting defense b/c even Smith knows there is no way we're going to a check down..ever...so he sprints down for field for an INT. Once CK sees Sherman "ahead" of Crabtree's route there is plenty of time and space to check quickly to Hunter who even turns and faces him as a true outlet. CK is 6'5" and the pass leading Hunter downfield (Montana-esque) over Irvin wouldn't even need much of a lob on it. If you actually believe Hunter was "covered" here b/c a defender was within 3 yards of Hunter (and in front of him), that's fine. I don't and I think a simple leading touch pass here would be extremely easy for a QB to make in this situation (a lot easier than a 35 yard corner post route against Sherman or a 6-inch window 20+ laser slant to Crabree with Maxwell all over him. Was Crabtree covered by the 2 underneath defenders on that pass? Of course not...even though they were in the general "vicinity."

The bottom line is, this pass was going to Crabtree no matter what...so to us focusing on Hunter or esp. anyone on the other side of the field (Patton or even Boldin or VD) is a moot point. Harbaugh himself said this was a pre-determined pass play. The more I think about this the more I almost feel like ego played a part in this play call...a corner route TD over Sherman to win the game...redeem Crabtree from the Superbowl and destroy the biggest mouth on the Seahawks while crushing their hopes and dreams at home? Hell yeah...dial it up!

Davis and CK destroyed this play...I don't care what play was dialed up by HaRoMan in the huddle (horrible call IMHO - poor situational awareness and matchup)...I don't care if the defensive coverage then justified the pass (1on1 matchup). Once he saw Sherman ahead of Crabtree's route knowing the spot where Crabtree had to get to, you pull that ball down, scramble or check down instantly. Even if you decide to go for it anyhow, you throw that ball to the very back corner of the EZ (still a VERY low % pass though)...but Davis destroyed any chance of CK fully stepping into the throw anyhow. But the pass to the corner of the EZ s/h have been his 3rd option in the decision-making process IMHO. Personally, it was a collective fail from the start.

No need to retort...you have your perspective and I have mine. We'll agree to disagree here and get back to the game analysis.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is actually the better angle. You can really see how the throw was effected by the pass rush into Kap's face.
You can also see that if the throw had more air, and was perfect, its a touchdown. The difference is the pass rush. It's the reason Dick s**tman has success on this defense.

defenderDX, JDMathews49ers & Buchy...you three seem to be on an after-defeat rampage but I like this view as well. I can't blame you...we've lost the last three playoff games (2 NFCCG and 1 Superbowl) on the final play of the game, essentially!

You can clearly see Irvin 100% squatted, facing and focused on CK (spying CK all the way)...totally ignores Hunter's route who's 3 yards behind Irvin and 1 yard to the right. This is great scouting defense b/c even Smith knows there is no way we're going to a check down..ever...so he sprints down for field for an INT. Once CK sees Sherman "ahead" of Crabtree's route there is plenty of time and space to check quickly to Hunter who even turns and faces him as a true outlet. CK is 6'5" and the pass leading Hunter downfield (Montana-esque) over Irvin wouldn't even need much of a lob on it. If you actually believe Hunter was "covered" here b/c a defender was within 3 yards of Hunter (and in front of him), that's fine. I don't and I think a simple leading touch pass here would be extremely easy for a QB to make in this situation (a lot easier than a 35 yard corner post route against Sherman or a 6-inch window 20+ laser slant to Crabree with Maxwell all over him. Was Crabtree covered by the 2 underneath defenders on that pass? Of course not...even though they were in the general "vicinity."

The bottom line is, this pass was going to Crabtree no matter what...so to us focusing on Hunter or esp. anyone on the other side of the field (Patton or even Boldin or VD) is a moot point. Harbaugh himself said this was a pre-determined pass play. The more I think about this the more I almost feel like ego played a part in this play call...a corner route TD over Sherman to win the game...redeem Crabtree from the Superbowl and destroy the biggest mouth on the Seahawks while crushing their hopes and dreams at home? Hell yeah...dial it up!

Davis and CK destroyed this play...I don't care what play was dialed up by HaRoMan in the huddle (horrible call IMHO - poor situational awareness and matchup)...I don't care if the defensive coverage then justified the pass (1on1 matchup). Once he saw Sherman ahead of Crabtree's route knowing the spot where Crabtree had to get to, you pull that ball down, scramble or check down instantly. Even if you decide to go for it anyhow, you throw that ball to the very back corner of the EZ (still a VERY low % pass though)...but Davis destroyed any chance of CK fully stepping into the throw anyhow. But the pass to the corner of the EZ s/h have been his 3rd option in the decision-making process IMHO. Personally, it was a collective fail from the start.

No need to retort...you have your perspective and I have mine. We'll agree to disagree here and get back to the game analysis.

And for some reason people are debating this FACT:

So what mattered wasn't so much the mistake, as painful as the mistake might've been. What mattered was, he needed to learn.Shockingly, Kaepernick didn't. And to make matters worse, he still hasn't.A week after the Seattle game, Kaepernick asserted that his only mistake was the underthrow. As for the decision to throw it at all, he didn't show a trace of regret. He showed, instead, a stubborn defiance: "I'm going to take Crabtree every chance I get on a one-on-one matchup." No matter whether Crabtree is covered—no matter who else might be open—he "would do it the same way again."To be fair, Kaepernick spoke at least partly for show, defending Crabtree against Sherman's postgame incoherence. But nevertheless, Kaepernick merely confirmed what these last two seasons seemed to suggest. When the stakes are highest, Kaepernick is throwing to Crabtree, no matter what.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1255-for-kaepernick-the-honeymoons-over/

Hell, I provided Harbaugh's quote himself on this play in the Roman thread...ignored. People will believe and see what they want too. What I don't understand is whether or not people are arguing that this was the correct play call and just a failed execution or not. What exactly is the argument here? We know the result!
I know this thread has mostly been about the offense, but after the way Seattle won the SB does anyone wonder why our defense or special teams simply isn't as good as theirs? Our D and ST always give up big plays at the worst times during our last 3 postseasons. Whereas both their units made all the plays the entire postseason and rarely had a letdown all season long. I think they had some ridiculous stat for punt return yardage allowed, like 20 yards the entire season.
Do they just have better players or is it a coaching issue? For example, I always felt that Fangio should blitz more with Bo and Willis (Bo especially is great at it).
Originally posted by NCommand:

We had game analysis completely disproving your radical perspective with whatever you had seen, for some reason, about Kendall Hunter.

Or you just throw a better ball dude. It's not hard to f**king understand.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Feb 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by znk916:
I know this thread has mostly been about the offense, but after the way Seattle won the SB does anyone wonder why our defense or special teams simply isn't as good as theirs? Our D and ST always give up big plays at the worst times during our last 3 postseasons. Whereas both their units made all the plays the entire postseason and rarely had a letdown all season long. I think they had some ridiculous stat for punt return yardage allowed, like 20 yards the entire season.
Do they just have better players or is it a coaching issue? For example, I always felt that Fangio should blitz more with Bo and Willis (Bo especially is great at it).

I think our DB's and Safety's are just WAY undersized compared to theirs. As for our Special Teams, idk. Holds don't get called. Pisses me the f**k off.
Share 49ersWebzone