Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah right...how did you jump to THAT conclusion? If you want to talk Alex, as thl408 pointed out, his distribution to receivers was MUCH better than CK as expected. CK just needs experience and proper coaching (and probably a much better scheme as well) to look to check-downs when his reads aren't there. We're not talking about a 2 or 3 yard check down here either...with so much attention to the sidelines and deep b/c of the go-routes, these check downs are wide open with a lot of space to boot. Safe, smart...take your shots, play within the game, etc. It's balanced QBing, that's all. Either he's not there yet or this is a coaching issue...either way, Roman has incorporated many more of the flare-out options for him (which is good). Now he's got to use them.
Laughing at CK...sadly, he believes that. One more foot and Crabtree is OOB. In fact, watch Crabtree's foot on the actual play...had he even caught the ball Sherman knocked away, he would have been in bounds by an inch or two (barely). But like you noted, this is his mentality and it's cost the past two games...probably also got us to those two games as well. He just needs to mature and learn when to let it sling and when to take what the defense gives you esp. playing on the road against a #1 ranked defense.
And for the record, trust me, I'd still be having this debate in the Roman/CK thread b/c we still would have had 3 TO's and this is an important step in a QB's development. But that's just me. LOL
"(and probably a much better scheme as well)"
You realize Alex played in the same offense correct?
Of course he's not there yet. Lol. Coaching is fine. You really are weird when watching and looking at film snippets aren't you? We're talking about a ball with more air under it towards the back pylon. I'm laughing at YOU. One more foot where? Do you even know what kind of better throw we're talking about? Where do you get that Crabs would be OOB with one more foot? Fail.
As th just said,
"Below: As many posters have mentioned, Kap can't fully step into the throw because ADavis loses his battle with Avril."
Sometimes taking a shot on 1st down is a great call. Alex was VERY successful at it in his time here under Harbaugh. So now I'm kind of taking back what I said about the play-call itself now.
Same scheme, very different QB's...it's safe to say we ALL feel we don't utilize all our talents and that CK needs a better balance and more experience so at this juncture, I'm not even sure what you are debating. Better scheme to match CK's abilities; better utilization of all of the talent on the team; sticking with plays that work; scrap the smoke-and-mirrors plays?
I do agree that first down is a great time to take a shot but NOT in this situation...at all. In fact, has any single poster in NT come to the conclusion that this play call was the right call in this game situation? And as far as execution, I don't care if CK can't fully step into the throw...it's a VERY low % passing play that has about a 1% chance of completion and a 99% of being INT, deflected or going OOB. No way am I asking my young QB in this situation to throw a 1% pass in the games most critical moment. Period. Also, no way am I asking him to try and execute this play with Crabtree on the same play that ended the Superbowl. Learn from your mistakes. There are 100 other plays you can call here. If you are going to take your shot, this is NOT the matchup you want.
It's funny how fans can argue against very very low % passes like these (Superbowl final plays, this INT, 20+ yard 6 inch-window slant to Crabtree with Maxwell all over him, etc.) but totally discredit/ignore high % passes that would have much better success. I laughed at CK but it's just more proof the last thing CK is looking for is the smart play.
At this point, let's just hope HaRoMan can develop a better philosophy, scheme, can learn from all of their mistakes, coach up CK much better, install a FT PS passing game, install the short game and mentality, etc.
If not, we'll be on rewind for a while.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:40 AM ]