There are 156 users in the forums

all 22 breakdown of the 49ers loss in seattle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey I broke down the tape of the 49ers brutal loss to the Seahawks here is one of the 4 plays i broke down and a link to the full article is here

A Tale of Two Halves: After a first half which saw the Seahawks struggle to run the football and create any sort of offensive rhythm, Seattle begin mixing in more man blocking run plays. This change prevented the 49ers from exploiting the backside gaps to get into the backfield allowing Lynch to get his pads downfield and use his devastating power.

Let's look at how this simple change revitalized the Seahawks run game and ultimately their entire offense.

Game Situation: 3rd Quarter, 10:30, 3rd and 1 at the SEA 4, Seahawks 3, 49ers 10

Offensive Personnel: 1 WR (Golden Tate) 3 TE (Zach Miller, Luke Wilson, Alvin Bailey) 1 RB (Marshawn Lynch)

Formation: 2 TE Weak

Offensive Concept: Dive

Defensive Scheme: Man 2

Summary: With a slight change to the blocking scheme up front, the Seahawks were able to create the chunk plays on the ground that fuel their offense. With a scrum forming at the point of attack, Patrick Willis and Bowman were forced to go over the top allowing Lynch's cutback to seal the entire front seven from the play. As the entire NFL knows by now having Marshawn Lynch in your secondary with a head of steam is a very bad place to be and he showed why with a quick cut that broke him free en route to a 40 touchdown run.

Given how the 49ers won't play another competitive game for 9 months, this game and the pain from this loss has really just begun. That said, there were some positives that left me proud of my boys on Sunday, primarily their desire to fight back.

After the Seahawks tied the game at 10 with Lynch's 40 touchdown run, it looked as if the 49ers were destined to wilt down the stretch as they had in their previous two games in Seattle. Yet they responded with a 6 play 83 yard drive capped off by a 26 yard laser to Anquan Boldin that was a statement. On the ensuing kickoff Golden Tate's 70 yard kick return put the 49ers defense in a bind, but they held strong and forced a field goal. And the list goes on; a 37 yard touchdown on 4th and 7 or their first two drives in the 4th quarter ending in turnovers. Despite all of opportunities to crumble in the most hostile environment the 49ers didn't and managed to claw themselves 18 yards from a colossal win displaying the kind of resilience that makes me proud to a 49er fan.

Maybe I'm just talking myself into moral victories and am too fragile still to face that facts; we choked away a victory and allowed our arch nemesis a birth in the Super Bowl ending a 3 year stretch that has seen the 49ers progress deep into the playoffs only to be undone by a pair of Kyle William fumbles, failing to score from 1st and goal from the 5 in the Super Bowl and throwing a game ending pick in Seattle. When you put it that way it hurts, bad. Wake me up when September rolls around.

Sorry if GIFs dont come through and if you want to read the rest of the article click here
Nice breakdown. Two things I noticed over the last week of seeing replays.

1) I think that scramble and throw to Baldwin really got in the niners' heads and it seemed like they became ,ore worried about stopping Wilson's scramble than stopping Lynch. Seattle probably saw that and took advantage.

2) On the last play, I think it was a dud from the start. Not just because Sherman played it perfectly, but because Davis was beaten so badly, Kap didn't have a chance to look anywhere else. That ball should have been thrown away.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

1) I think that scramble and throw to Baldwin really got in the niners' heads and it seemed like they became ,ore worried about stopping Wilson's scramble than stopping Lynch. Seattle probably saw that and took advantage.

2) On the last play, I think it was a dud from the start. Not just because Sherman played it perfectly, but because Davis was beaten so badly, Kap didn't have a chance to look anywhere else. That ball should have been thrown away.

on the lynch td run i wish nate clements were still on the team...you notice near goalline one of the nines, reid i think, tried to come up behind lynch and punnch the ball out..clements was so good at that

as far as the last play pick by sherman, i recall hearing montana describe the catch by d.clark on a football show one time, and he recalled bill walsh telling him, if you dont have a play throw it away and well get them the next play
Originally posted by hofer36:
on the lynch td run i wish nate clements were still on the team...you notice near goalline one of the nines, reid i think, tried to come up behind lynch and punnch the ball out..clements was so good at that

as far as the last play pick by sherman, i recall hearing montana describe the catch by d.clark on a football show one time, and he recalled bill walsh telling him, if you dont have a play throw it away and well get them the next play

That was TBrock, trailing the play it was his only option. Very close to poking it out of the endzone for a touchback. He clapped his hands knowing he almost had it. It should be renamed, the Carlos Rodgers guide to tackling.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

I've watched "Quarterbacking by Bill Walsh" and he did mention that on Go routes, you don't throw the ball unless the receiver is 1. ahead of the defender or 2. even with the defender AND on the outside of the defender. I'm assuming that the fade route follows the same principles, and maybe even stricter because of how fade routes need room on the outside to develop. Thl showed how Sherman was not only pressing over the top of Crabtree, he completely redirected Crabtree's route way too close to the sidelines, so thus, Kaep should have recognized that and probably thrown it away immediately even if Anthony Davis had not been beaten off the snap. A two-part read where Kaepernick only got the first part right and the second part dead-wrong.

Hold at the 30 yard line on Dahl of Tate KO Ret. How is this missed? Dahl had the angle and suddenly stopped pursuing. His jersey is coming over his head!
i never realized how loose lynch had that ball when brock came over for an attempted strip
But if Brock dove and grabbed his ankles he would have stopped the TD.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Reid cost us that game and Navarro's knee.

#neverforget
Originally posted by susweel:

#neverforget

He had a rough game. He missed a int early in the game that would have been huge. Him and Whitner gave up the big play to Baldwin, and the poor angle on the td run from Lynch.

#neverforget

this play is eerily similar to how gore gashed him a few weeks ago w/ reid being the victim instead of earl thomas
Bo messed up real bad on that play, he strayed so far to the left that the guy who was gonna block him (Bailey I think?) ended up looking elsewhere and double teamed Whitner, who might've had a chance to make the tackle.
Originally posted by lamontb:

#neverforget

He had a rough game. He missed a int early in the game that would have been huge. Him and Whitner gave up the big play to Baldwin, and the poor angle on the td run from Lynch.

I agree. he's a bust.
I know Bowman gave up his leg for that strip of the ball, so he gets a pass, but didn't he messed up on that big run also. Looks like he got sucked into Willis' side unnecessarily. Should have been Bowman and Reid getting a piece of Lynch.
Share 49ersWebzone