There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I usually disagree with Grant but this is a excellent article for next season

Originally posted by danimal:
agree with the article 100%, but it pretty much is all common sense...we all know this. And I think he goes overboard on not needing any players....I still would like to see a new starter emerge from the next draft, and Crabs will never be a true #1 imo.

The #1 thing I agree with and I felt my stomach drop when it was happening was not calling the timeout.
1. You should see if your OC can call a situational play you have designed from this down and distance
2. YOU should remind your young QB he CAN take a sack
3. YOU should remind your young QB maybe lets not end the season to crabs AGAIN

I really really like Harbaugh and Kaep, but they are both down to their 3rd strike. I am not saying we would replace them, but if they continue to repeat these same errors, I highly doubt we are going to get the 6th ring on their watch....we will just get close a lot

John Elway was 0-3 in the SB before finally winning his first of 2 SB trophies after a 9 year hiatus. Let's see just how patient Niner fans are.
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
I'm beginning to think that our football philosophies are to conservative to win it all. think chuck knox, always in the playoffs - never a winner. Marty ball, ditto. actually there have been a long line of conservative coaches that have lost their jobs (dick Nolan) because they couldn't believe that playoff football is different than regular season.
jimmy Johnson, bill parcells, bellicheat, all will go for it on 4th down with the game on the line rather than rely on their D. Also those coaches had aggressive offenses that attacked. not even gonna go there with bill walsh, because he was an outlier. Point is: if we don't change our offensive philosophy we better get use to heartache.

This is Cheat Carroll's 9th total year in the NFL though & Harbaughs 3rd. Jim will get better I hope.
Originally posted by Antix:
In the SB and this year against the Hawks we were the team to have the ball last with a chance yo win on a TD. If you gave the coaches that scenario before the game and guaranteed it would happen they would all jump all over it. That's the exact position you hope to be in a championship game unless you're in victory formation. Two years in a row we f**k it up. That's coaching and nothing else and it won't get better because we're gonna stand pat in coaching which is why this team will not sniff a SB victory with the way the CS is constructed.

Atlanta had the ball last in last years NFC Champion game and lost it. Maybe defenses do win championships?
I think it has to do with execution and play calling. I don't know if we give some of our plays before the snap, but man on crucial 3rd downs the defensive line would just blow through the o line. A few time players just didn't do their job. In the red zone at times the play calling makes no sense, there have been times when they threw 3 straight passes.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
agree with the article 100%, but it pretty much is all common sense...we all know this. And I think he goes overboard on not needing any players....I still would like to see a new starter emerge from the next draft, and Crabs will never be a true #1 imo.

The #1 thing I agree with and I felt my stomach drop when it was happening was not calling the timeout.
1. You should see if your OC can call a situational play you have designed from this down and distance

I really really like Harbaugh and Kaep, but they are both down to their 3rd strike. I am not saying we would replace them, but if they continue to repeat these same errors, I highly doubt we are going to get the 6th ring on their watch....we will just get close a lot

John Elway was 0-3 in the SB before finally winning his first of 2 SB trophies after a 9 year hiatus. Let's see just how patient Niner fans are.

And it took a coaching change for that .. Dan Reeves vs. Mike Shanahan.
I will temporarily break my vow of silence to say: "if Grant Cohn can make such a dramatic improvement maybe there is hope for Harbaugh."

Excellent comparison! Elway tried to pass through people because...most of the time...he could! I think Kaepernick will learn more quickly but a lot depends on the coaching.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Is it true that Geep Chryst is responsible for the red zone "offense"? Have read that here before...If true he needs to go.

seriously. what redzone offense...

There is a redzone offense. It's called the Phil Dawson guarantee.

i dont like being the team known for having the most FGs in that year. i miss the days when we didnt even know the kickers name

Mike Cofer...LOL. There was a time when the Niners had the worst kickers and punters....because it didn't matter, they were scoring TDs instead of settling for FGs.

Whooo..rough one. The days when we could score touchdowns at will. But considering our kicker, we HAD to.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

with wade phillips in the middle for 2 years
Originally posted by Paulb10486:
You guys all wrong; if situational football were truly the problem, we wouldn't have made it to the conference championship three straight seasons and have the best record in football over that time. A number of things go into a loss, and a lot of the time it comes down to execution and the mistake of one or two players on given plays. That's how close the league is. The best teams, best coaches, best schemes, etc. don't always prevail. Remember that.

After three straight years of seeing the same kinds of mistakes, I would bet money that Harbaugh and Co. have the same exact mentality as you. What none of you seem to understand is that the sheer talent of the squad and the defensive coaching efforts of Fangio are willing the team to victory game after game. This team is so loaded on the roster that it's like bringing a bat to a fist fight. You don't need a lot of strategy or savvy to beat the average, unarmed person to s**t with a bat, but say if you run into a martial artist or UFC fighter, someone with more skill than the average person and can employ strategy in their moves. This situation would be an analogy to the Super Bowl last year, or the NFC Championship games we've lost.

Situational football is the very definition of strategy in football. Fangio for the most part is holding it down on defense and calling the proper plays in the right situations. Harbaugh and Roman are supposed to be offensive experts and they have let the team down in this regard. This problem is futher exacerbated by Kaepernick's lack of experience and field awareness.
[ Edited by biggiep on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM ]

Maybe, but Terrell Davis was the team's MVP. In those two Super Bowl years, he might have been the most valuable running back of all-time.
Originally posted by biggiep:
You guys all wrong; if situational football were truly the problem, we wouldn't have made it to the conference championship three straight seasons and have the best record in football over that time. A number of things go into a loss, and a lot of the time it comes down to execution and the mistake of one or two players on given plays. That's how close the league is. The best teams, best coaches, best schemes, etc. don't always prevail. Remember that.

After three straight years of seeing the same kinds of mistakes, I would bet money that Harbaugh and Co. have the same exact mentality as you. What none of you seem to understand is that the sheer talent of the squad and the defensive coaching efforts of Fangio are willing the team to victory game after game. This team is so loaded on the roster that it's like bringing a bat to a fist fight. You don't need a lot of strategy or savvy to beat the average, unarmed person to s**t with a bat, but say if you run into a martial artist or UFC fighter, someone with more skill than the average person and can employ strategy in their moves. This situation would be an analogy to the Super Bowl last year, or the NFC Championship games we've lost.

Situational football is the very definition of strategy in football. Fangio for the most part is holding it down on defense and calling the proper plays in the right situations. Harbaugh and Roman are supposed to be offensive experts and they have let the team down in this regard. This problem is futher exacerbated by Kaepernick's lack of experience and field awareness.

I think its the opposite problem.

I think we are TOO analytical and get bogged down by too much complexity when we are up against the fire. It works against teams that are not elite, but in the high pressure situations, against the best teams, that is when you have to KEEP IT SIMPLE. We fail to keep the game simple when everything is on the line.

Joe Montana's touchdown throw to John Taylor to win the Super Bowl was not complex, it was a simple slant route, but we would never attempt it because it is too simple.

this post hurt to read
Originally posted by xtm059:

this post hurt to read

Don't get hung up on verbs...they're over rated!
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Maybe, but Terrell Davis was the team's MVP. In those two Super Bowl years, he might have been the most valuable running back of all-time.

Yeah but Denver's entire offensive scheme was changed under Shanahan. TD wasn't a between-the-tackles runner simply because Denver didn't play that type of running game. Terrell Davis was awesome but the 49ers current running game that the running game Denver ran back then are COMPLETELY different.