There are 210 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I usually disagree with Grant but this is a excellent article for next season

Originally posted by goldlame2013:
This article times 1000, but it wouldn't to get a more physical secondary, speedy Wideout with size, and a running back who not only runs well, but catches the ball well for old school west coast offense plays.

Yes, it's not just in the red zone. They need a ball control passing game across the entire field, like 'west coast' passes to RB's and TE's. Replace 5-8 runs up the middle each game with short ball control passes
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
As stated above, I usually never disagree with Cohn, but this is spot on.

Lol, I'm just quoting this because I can't believe no one pointed out the double negative

Help me out. Where are the double negatives?

I never disagree with Cohen. This is a grammatically correct sentence.

I never agree with Cohen. This is a grammatically correct sentence.

I do find the positioning of the usually and never somewhat grating.

Usually which is modifying the entire clause should be placed before or after the clause.

Usually, I never disagree with Cohen.
Usually, I never agree with Cohen.
Originally posted by buck:

Lol, I'm just quoting this because I can't believe no one pointed out the double negative

Help me out. Where are the double negatives?

I never disagree with Cohen. This is a grammatically correct sentence.

I never agree with Cohen. This is a grammatically correct sentence.

I do find the positioning of the usually and never somewhat grating.

Usually which is modifying the entire clause should be placed before or after the clause.

Usually, I never disagree with Cohen.
Usually, I never agree with Cohen.

Because the qualifier at the end. "BUT this is spot on". NFN meant to say he usually never AGREES with Cohn.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
something needs to change and it need to change quickly with a KILLER-INSTINCT!!! If you put teams away early, you can rest your starters more and you also will have less injuries.

Exactly...like T.O. used to complain about, we need to have the "KILLER INSTINCT" and put teams away. We rarely blow teams out and when you watch teams like the Patriots, they seem to blow teams out on a weekly basis. You always see them have 50-17 scores. Our scores seem to always be won by 3 points or less, low scoring. It always gives the other teams hope and a chance to come back when we should be stomping them!
His best article and I hope someone sends 1000 copies to the FO and to JH/Roman
  • buck
  • Veteran
Because the qualifier at the end. "BUT this is spot on". NFN meant to say he usually never AGREES with Cohn.

I was hoping he meant to say he usually never agrees with Cohen. That makes more sense.

I still do not see the any double negatives, but what the yell....
Originally posted by hofer36:
is kaepernicks strong arm a hnderence in the red zone...it is less of an advanatage as you have less room to work with, and the ability to make a touch pass becomes more important
i think back to that 1st game in seattle in september when niers had a chance to go up early and kaepernick bounced a bullet pass off a receivers hands and the ball went up high in the air and was picked

In confined space, a bullet that gets to It's target quicker would be better than a touch pass that takes longer because there are defenders packed into a smaller area. They'll have more time to react and close on a touch pass.

Receivers' jobs are to catch the football. There's no way Kap doesn't throw them lasers in practice. They need to catch it. No excuses.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Lol. I didn't notice it because I stopped reading after "I usually never disagree with Cohn".

Derp. I meant never AGREE with him.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by kray28:
I think the best thing that could happen to this team is if we lose Dawson. Get rid of the automatic FG offense crutch, and maybe they might actually be bothered to draw up a decent scoring play inside the red zone.

Getting rid of Dawson is a huge mistake. Esp when games comes down to field goals. LAst year when we had akers, we still had the same approach.

But to your point, the game at home vs seattle, the 49ers were settling for a last second FG instead of going for a TD.

They weren't "settling" there. The last second field goal was clearly the plan once Gore went down in bounds. I knew immediately what they would do because it makes sense. If you only need one point to win, why risk forcing it into the end zone when it's completely unnecessary?

I agree the team has no killer instinct and sucks in the red zone, but your example doesn't work.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Hey buck :)

I don't think it's an either or argument. Of course we applaud Harbaugh for helping to develop a winner. Cohn has praised Harbaugh for his success. There have been countless articles about that. I personally don't believe that it was a eithe or kinda thing ... Harbaugh or top 10 draft pick. Remember it was Baalke who hired Harbaugh and given what I've seen from Baalke, he wouldn't have hired a bad coach for his stint as GM. There was just a low chance the Nolan/Singleterry disaster would repeat. Baalke would also and did lean on Tom Gamble and if you remember at the time, John Gruden was the presumed hire and he would almost certainly have brought in a vet coaching staff. So all of the talk about possible bottom-feeding 49ers after Baalke's hire I think is extremely unlikely.

That being said, with success comes scrutiny so it should be expected that with each improved roster, expectations not only would but should increase. Like any other coach in the NFL, Harbaugh is not immune. :)

I almost never read Cohen. I guess I have missed his praise for Harbaugh. But, that is a minor point.

Of course it is not an either or kind of thing, but in my estimation without consistently balancing the advances made and the weaknesses that still exist, we fail to build an accurate understanding of the team. I feel, and perhaps I am mistaken, that an extraordinary emphasis has been placed, and is still being placed, on the still existing debilities.

In my estimation, the next year will be critical. I hope that in the coming year, Harbaugh and the coaching staff address and correct the apparent and glaring problems that still exist.

I completely agree. However my hope isn't high unfortunately. I think the coaching braintrust on offense feels like they need a deep threat receiver to take the safety out of the box to help the running game, which will help the offense as a whole.

Unfortunately, IMHO, this doesn't help Kaps decision-making, it doesn't account for an offensive philosophy that can continue to function well despite injuries to starters. I'm afraid that if there's the slightest injury to anyone on offense, the nature and philosophy of this offense, which doesn't encourage the development or play of "the next man up", but rather we just hold his spot until said injured player returns, will again torpedo home field advantage for us throughout.

The 49ers need to think outside the box on offense. Yes, I praise Harbaugh for getting us "here".... now that we're "here", I really want the team to get "there." I think we already have the pieces to get "there", we just have to put it all together on the field.

Thanks buck - really, really, appreciate the civil dialogue man!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Hey buck :)

I don't think it's an either or argument. Of course we applaud Harbaugh for helping to develop a winner. Cohn has praised Harbaugh for his success. There have been countless articles about that. I personally don't believe that it was a eithe or kinda thing ... Harbaugh or top 10 draft pick. Remember it was Baalke who hired Harbaugh and given what I've seen from Baalke, he wouldn't have hired a bad coach for his stint as GM. There was just a low chance the Nolan/Singleterry disaster would repeat. Baalke would also and did lean on Tom Gamble and if you remember at the time, John Gruden was the presumed hire and he would almost certainly have brought in a vet coaching staff. So all of the talk about possible bottom-feeding 49ers after Baalke's hire I think is extremely unlikely.

That being said, with success comes scrutiny so it should be expected that with each improved roster, expectations not only would but should increase. Like any other coach in the NFL, Harbaugh is not immune. :)

I almost never read Cohen. I guess I have missed his praise for Harbaugh. But, that is a minor point.

Of course it is not an either or kind of thing, but in my estimation without consistently balancing the advances made and the weaknesses that still exist, we fail to build an accurate understanding of the team. I feel, and perhaps I am mistaken, that an extraordinary emphasis has been placed, and is still being placed, on the still existing debilities.

In my estimation, the next year will be critical. I hope that in the coming year, Harbaugh and the coaching staff address and correct the apparent and glaring problems that still exist.

I completely agree. However my hope isn't high unfortunately. I think the coaching braintrust on offense feels like they need a deep threat receiver to take the safety out of the box to help the running game, which will help the offense as a whole.

Unfortunately, IMHO, this doesn't help Kaps decision-making, it doesn't account for an offensive philosophy that can continue to function well despite injuries to starters. I'm afraid that if there's the slightest injury to anyone on offense, the nature and philosophy of this offense, which doesn't encourage the development or play of "the next man up", but rather we just hold his spot until said injured player returns, will again torpedo home field advantage for us throughout.

The 49ers need to think outside the box on offense. Yes, I praise Harbaugh for getting us "here".... now that we're "here", I really want the team to get "there." I think we already have the pieces to get "there", we just have to put it all together on the field.

Thanks buck - really, really, appreciate the civil dialogue man!

Your welcome--civil dialogues should be the norm.

Your hopes or my hopes do not mean all that much. What the team does make a difference.

We have only one real option--wait and see.

Free agency and the draft coming up
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2014/01/inside-the-49ers/get-ready-red-zone/

The 49ers' biggest need this offseason is not a player.

Not a wide receiver. Not a cornerback. Not a safety.

Talent isn't the Niners' problem – they might have the most talented team in the league. Sure, they could use a speed wide receiver, but they need something else. If they had what they needed, they would be Super Bowl champions already. They would have beaten the Ravens last season, and they would have beaten the Seahawks for the NFC championship this season, and they'd be preparing for this year's Super Bowl.

I completely agree...

Talent isn't a problem here. Situational football IS.

And the quote of the season:

The 49ers make games closer than they need to be.

Let's stop hoping and wishing for good luck and dominate with our superior talent and better situational football.

True quest for 6.

They call a penalty on Jimmy Smith, this is a non-issue. They call roughing on Maragos, we're trying to run the clock out at the end, not trying to make a come back.
we need to get rid of Roman, he is the worst at situational football and utilizing certain talents. Lets jump on Kubiak before someone else gets him
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Lol. I didn't notice it because I stopped reading after "I usually never disagree with Cohn".

Derp. I meant never AGREE with him.

Had a feeling that's what you meant.
agree with the article 100%, but it pretty much is all common sense...we all know this. And I think he goes overboard on not needing any players....I still would like to see a new starter emerge from the next draft, and Crabs will never be a true #1 imo.

The #1 thing I agree with and I felt my stomach drop when it was happening was not calling the timeout.
1. You should see if your OC can call a situational play you have designed from this down and distance
2. YOU should remind your young QB he CAN take a sack
3. YOU should remind your young QB maybe lets not end the season to crabs AGAIN

I really really like Harbaugh and Kaep, but they are both down to their 3rd strike. I am not saying we would replace them, but if they continue to repeat these same errors, I highly doubt we are going to get the 6th ring on their watch....we will just get close a lot