There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I usually disagree with Grant but this is a excellent article for next season

Originally posted by bigwads:
Uh oh...you are going to rock the boat with the Zoner homers who believe Roman and Fangio are the best coaches of all time.

I hear ya but this isn't at all personal. It's happened twice now and the reason why I think question MUST be raised is that this organization could have potentially 2 more trophies and the start of another dynasty. You bet I'm gonna ask whats going on.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I agree with this article and the one he did about 49ers needing a back up QB (David Fales in mind)... it's nice to know that Cohn-head does a lot of research in the 49ers Webzone
Pretty much this in a nutshell: when Gore and CK are saying "Screw it...we're running" and overuling play calls in the RZ and score a TD, I'm concerned as a fan. CK seemed concerned about what the coaches would think but that one play helped win the game. Period.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The author gives Harbaugh no credit for anything--not one word.

The article is no more than a simple continuation of the beef that Cohen has with Harbaugh.

His specific details of criticism may have some validity, but his failure to put it in the context of Harbaugh's success at developing a winning team cannot logically be ignored.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Uh oh...you are going to rock the boat with the Zoner homers who believe Roman and Fangio are the best coaches of all time.

I hear ya but this isn't at all personal. It's happened twice now and the reason why I think question MUST be raised is that this organization could have potentially 2 more trophies and the start of another dynasty. You bet I'm gonna ask whats going on.

Could have potentially????

Could have potentially 2 more trophies vs. could potentially still be drafting in the top 10.

I am willing to see what happens next--and it looks like that is our only option.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by OldMort49:
Is it true that Geep Chryst is responsible for the red zone "offense"? Have read that here before...If true he needs to go.

seriously. what redzone offense...

There is a redzone offense. It's called the Phil Dawson guarantee.

Roman and Chryst riding on the coattails of Dawson's Foot >>>>> >> Dawson's Creek

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Grant is right. Walsh had a much less talented team in '81 that went and won the Super Bowl because he was a superior situational play caller.

I sure wish Harbaugh would emulate / do this... especially the "won the Super Bowl" part
I am torn between supporting Harbaugh and the success he has brought to the niners and wanting a WCO capable of taking advantage of all the talent on this team. I have never believed in the Power Running game unless you can guarantee having bigger, better linemen than the defense has defensive linemen. Clever plays and systems are more dependable...but if Cohn is correct (and he may be--just as a stopped clock is twice a day) this team is not capable of out thinking opponents.

The theory must be--this team is so talented that they win most games during the season, but not enough to win games against playoff teams in big games. Of course, they've beaten teams in the playoffs and beat Seattle in SF.

My alternate theory--their QB is a young inexperienced guy who does not have the best field sense nor is he adept at touch passing. When he is in the Red Zone he doesn't have much time or room to operate, which increases the risk factors. Normally, the coaches run into a stacked box to help the young QB out, battering the opponents and keeping them focused on the run game, but in the Red Zone the limited space takes that strategy away and they have to rely on the QB making the best decisions.

The fact that they haven't given Kaepernick the chance to grow, keeping him limited most of the time, decreases the odds that he will become a good Red Zone QB in the near future. He still throws almost every pass with a low trajectory which allows DBs to step in and make plays. I would love to see Roman/Harbaugh call touch plays all day long during the season until Kaepernick makes them regularly...which I have no doubt he will learn to do. I know the limited WRs and a TE who can't do what most TEs do has hampered his development, but that is no longer the case. And before someone jumps on me about VD...he is a wonder as a speed and blocking TE but he just doesn't read the defense well and make himself available when the QB needs an outlet...or is that the play calling?

Edit: VD has improved greatly and I'm not at all blaming him for being who he is. They just need to keep working with him or move him around and groom McDonald to be the TE who reads and reacts.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
some of us are not rolling out the shock and awe about this. many of us have always thought that for whatever reason, we make games and wins harder than they need to be. I have resigned myself to that as along as certain people are certain offensive coordinators for us
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
As stated above, I usually never disagree with Cohn, but this is spot on.

Lol, I'm just quoting this because I can't believe no one pointed out the double negative
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
As stated above, I usually never disagree with Cohn, but this is spot on.

Lol, I'm just quoting this because I can't believe no one pointed out the double negative

Lol. I didn't notice it because I stopped reading after "I usually never disagree with Cohn".
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Could have potentially????

Could have potentially 2 more trophies vs. could potentially still be drafting in the top 10.

I am willing to see what happens next--and it looks like that is our only option.

Hey buck :)

I don't think it's an either or argument. Of course we applaud Harbaugh for helping to develop a winner. Cohn has praised Harbaugh for his success. There have been countless articles about that. I personally don't believe that it was a eithe or kinda thing ... Harbaugh or top 10 draft pick. Remember it was Baalke who hired Harbaugh and given what I've seen from Baalke, he wouldn't have hired a bad coach for his stint as GM. There was just a low chance the Nolan/Singleterry disaster would repeat. Baalke would also and did lean on Tom Gamble and if you remember at the time, John Gruden was the presumed hire and he would almost certainly have brought in a vet coaching staff. So all of the talk about possible bottom-feeding 49ers after Baalke's hire I think is extremely unlikely.

That being said, with success comes scrutiny so it should be expected that with each improved roster, expectations not only would but should increase. Like any other coach in the NFL, Harbaugh is not immune. :)
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
In the SB and this year against the Hawks we were the team to have the ball last with a chance yo win on a TD. If you gave the coaches that scenario before the game and guaranteed it would happen they would all jump all over it. That's the exact position you hope to be in a championship game unless you're in victory formation. Two years in a row we f**k it up. That's coaching and nothing else and it won't get better because we're gonna stand pat in coaching which is why this team will not sniff a SB victory with the way the CS is constructed.
So which one is it, Coach/O.C. or Kap?? since it has been narrowed down to this choices.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2014/01/inside-the-49ers/get-ready-red-zone/

The 49ers' biggest need this offseason is not a player.

Not a wide receiver. Not a cornerback. Not a safety.

Talent isn't the Niners' problem – they might have the most talented team in the league. Sure, they could use a speed wide receiver, but they need something else. If they had what they needed, they would be Super Bowl champions already. They would have beaten the Ravens last season, and they would have beaten the Seahawks for the NFC championship this season, and they'd be preparing for this year's Super Bowl.

I completely agree...

Talent isn't a problem here. Situational football IS.

And the quote of the season:

The 49ers make games closer than they need to be.

Let's stop hoping and wishing for good luck and dominate with our superior talent and better situational football.

True quest for 6.

That's one thing I've been wondering during the Harbaugh era. How the hell did we go from a top redzone offense during the Singletary days to below average during the Alex Smith/Kaepernick Harbaugh days.

I personally am not a fan of his Bo Schembechler philosophy, especially when it closes in towards ~15 yards of the redzone.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Hey buck :)

I don't think it's an either or argument. Of course we applaud Harbaugh for helping to develop a winner. Cohn has praised Harbaugh for his success. There have been countless articles about that. I personally don't believe that it was a eithe or kinda thing ... Harbaugh or top 10 draft pick. Remember it was Baalke who hired Harbaugh and given what I've seen from Baalke, he wouldn't have hired a bad coach for his stint as GM. There was just a low chance the Nolan/Singleterry disaster would repeat. Baalke would also and did lean on Tom Gamble and if you remember at the time, John Gruden was the presumed hire and he would almost certainly have brought in a vet coaching staff. So all of the talk about possible bottom-feeding 49ers after Baalke's hire I think is extremely unlikely.

That being said, with success comes scrutiny so it should be expected that with each improved roster, expectations not only would but should increase. Like any other coach in the NFL, Harbaugh is not immune. :)

I almost never read Cohen. I guess I have missed his praise for Harbaugh. But, that is a minor point.

Of course it is not an either or kind of thing, but in my estimation without consistently balancing the advances made and the weaknesses that still exist, we fail to build an accurate understanding of the team. I feel, and perhaps I am mistaken, that an extraordinary emphasis has been placed, and is still being placed, on the still existing debilities.

In my estimation, the next year will be critical. I hope that in the coming year, Harbaugh and the coaching staff address and correct the apparent and glaring problems that still exist.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:01 AM ]