There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I usually disagree with Grant but this is a excellent article for next season

Originally posted by hofer36:
is kaepernicks strong arm a hnderence in the red zone...it is less of an advanatage as you have less room to work with, and the ability to make a touch pass becomes more important
i think back to that 1st game in seattle in september when niers had a chance to go up early and kaepernick bounced a bullet pass off a receivers hands and the ball went up high in the air and was picked

Yes and no. Kap can throw short with touch, take you back to the fist game of the season and he hits Q on a short pass he walks in. The pass versus the Hawks in the 2nd game was more a good play by the the DB. It was a bullet but he threw it trying to fit into a tight window. The bounce was caused by the DB jumping the ball and knocking it up in the air.
Only time Kaep looked really good in the RZone was in the Bears game of last year. Since than it's been inconsistent. Everything happens quicker in the RZ, and decision has to be made quicker too. Kaep maybe inexperience in this area. But I'm not sure I would put it all on Kaep, because our offense has been inconsistent before Kaep took over. Should be partly on Harb/Roman also.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
Grant is right. Walsh had a much less talented team in '81 that went and won the Super Bowl because he was a superior situational play caller.
I understand what your saying Paulb10486 but we are not all wrong. It 's like a guy that blames everyone else for his bad luck in his life. The first Giant NFC Championship we were matching them defensively play for play man for man ..McDonald was at his pinnacle in that game I thought and then what happened ? Super Bowl we had to come from behind and playing a aging defense but as Boldin stated we knew your stuff and what happened? This last game same thing and what happened ? Like I said Harbaugh is a scrappy dude and when he played pro he put everything he had on the field but he was always was 1 yd short..1 play short. The play when Seattle scored the TD we were standing on the D-line with our thumbs up our ass because Mc Donald and company pulled up on that play like it was free play or there was a penalty was going to be called .....again we hesitated and what happened. Now getting Smoked say like 35 to 7 is one thing but these games were because of a mental game farts on our part. Like NinerGM said...THE 49ers MAKE GAMES CLOSER THAN THEY NEED TO BE. NO s**t! Some things better change from up above or we will be having these conversations again my friends 2014
They were certainly more talented than the Ravens. Whether or not they are more talented than the Seahawks is debatable.
Uh oh...you are going to rock the boat with the Zoner homers who believe Roman and Fangio are the best coaches of all time.
Originally posted by Paulb10486:
You guys all wrong; if situational football were truly the problem, we wouldn't have made it to the conference championship three straight seasons and have the best record in football over that time. A number of things go into a loss, and a lot of the time it comes down to execution and the mistake of one or two players on given plays. That's how close the league is. The best teams, best coaches, best schemes, etc. don't always prevail. Remember that.

nah.

if you're an nfl caliber offensive coordinator worth his weight in paycheck

you have 3 tries from the 5 yard line to win the super bowl

you supposed to get it done. you're supposed to have dreamed of this situation all of your professional career and here it is and you call the play and it works.

not stumbling not even knowing what to do to the point you have to call a timeout cause you can't even call the play on time.

and then run the same play to the same side to the same player 3 different ways.

inexcusable.

red zone and continues to be the difference for us

it is literally the difference between us being the defending super bowl champion headed back to the super bowl
and the super bowl losing team who didn't make it back to the super bowl. that's not even up for debate. it is fact.
and the red zone offense was the same before and now with kap so it aint the qb.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They were certainly more talented than the Ravens. Whether or not they are more talented than the Seahawks is debatable.

not really. our offense is way more talented than seattle's
they have the better in prime runner in lynch
our te and wr's are better
our front 7 is better
their back 4 is better
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

not really. our offense is way more talented than seattle's
they have the better in prime runner in lynch
our te and wr's are better
our front 7 is better
their back 4 is better

Their defense is a monster though and their special teams and returns always kill us. Russel Wilson is so impossible to bring down he always buys more time and beats you down the field. They are very talented.
Their defense is a monster though and their special teams and returns always kill us. Russel Wilson is so impossible to bring down he always buys more time and beats you down the field. They are very talented.

the secondary is great but gets to hold. thomas and chancellor are legit.
the corners cannot cover if they cannot hold. that is fact.

special teams returns sometimes they do most times they don't tate isn't all world/

he isn't impossible to bring down they sacked and hit him so much he was intentionally grounding the last game we played. we do the best job of bringing him down.

the 1 play he had extending it the rush gave up.

the other was a quick throw on 4th down impossible to get him he didn't even move.

none of this says they aren't very talented. that's not up for debate they are.

but the only positions you would trade with the seahawks is the secondary and lynch.
that's it.

the rest might be VERSIONS of our talent. but not anywhere near the clip.

aldon bowman willis brooks macdonald dorsey justin>>>>>>>>>>> any front 7 in the league
I'm beginning to think that our football philosophies are to conservative to win it all. think chuck knox, always in the playoffs - never a winner. Marty ball, ditto. actually there have been a long line of conservative coaches that have lost their jobs (dick Nolan) because they couldn't believe that playoff football is different than regular season.
jimmy Johnson, bill parcells, bellicheat, all will go for it on 4th down with the game on the line rather than rely on their D. Also those coaches had aggressive offenses that attacked. not even gonna go there with bill walsh, because he was an outlier. Point is: if we don't change our offensive philosophy we better get use to heartache.
You guys all wrong; if situational football were truly the problem, we wouldn't have made it to the conference championship three straight seasons and have the best record in football over that time. A number of things go into a loss, and a lot of the time it comes down to execution and the mistake of one or two players on given plays. That's how close the league is. The best teams, best coaches, best schemes, etc. don't always prevail. Remember that.

nah.

you supposed to get it done. you're supposed to have dreamed of this situation all of your professional career and here it is and you call the play and it works.

not stumbling not even knowing what to do to the point you have to call a timeout cause you can't even call the play on time.

and then run the same play to the same side to the same player 3 different ways.

inexcusable.

it is literally the difference between us being the defending super bowl champion headed back to the super bowl
and the super bowl losing team who didn't make it back to the super bowl. that's not even up for debate. it is fact.
and the red zone offense was the same before and now with kap so it aint the qb.

Agreed. I am usually one to say "well, that's the way the ball bounces," but these are the opportunities you prepare for the entire season. Your job is to execute and be successful. TWICE they have blown it... a combination of the coaches and players.

I would rather our team get beat by a go-ahead touchdown... defense fails, 49ers lose, much easier to digest and say, "They were the better team." But when you're set up on offense, with timeouts, in the redzone two years in a row, and you blow it both times? Everyone needs to take a hard look in the mirror and figure out how they can get better and what needs to change.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jan 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

nah.

inexcusable.

Agreed. I am usually one to say "well, that's the way the ball bounces," but these are the opportunities you prepare for the entire season. Your job is to execute and be successful. TWICE they have blown it... a combination of the coaches and players.

I would rather our team get beat by a go-ahead touchdown... defense fails, 49ers lose, much easier to digest and say, "They were the better team." But when you're set up on offense, with timeouts, in the redzone two years in a row, and you blow it both times? Everyone needs to take a hard look in the mirror and figure out how they can get better and what needs to change.

Agree 100% with the bold. When you're on offense, you're supposed to be in control of the situation. You control the ball, and are on the attack. But as we've seen so often in key situations down in the RZ, our offense looks like they're on the defensive. We become timid and indecisive. We had Seattle on their heels that final drive, and we blew it. Just like we blew the SB.
The niners main problem is our inability to score in the redzone. The coaching staff shares blame, but in the redzone you need a QB who is able to see the field and can anticipate throws into tight windows, Kaepernick does neither. He misses open receivers in the end zone far too often, He doesn't have confidence throwing into coverage, and the play calling reflects that.

Calling a time out would have been nice, but it wouldn't make the throw any easier. The coaching staff has their fair share of brain farts, but its easy to see why they define most of his throws from the side line. Throwing the ball directly to 6'3 safeties doesn't inspire confidence in his ability to deliver in the red zone.

His situational awareness is poor, and he rushes the throw even when he has time, his release is too long and it telegraphs where he his going with the ball, which is a killer against a defense as fast as the Seahawks.

I still have hope he can become a better pocket passer, but i think he's going to get worse before he gets better. It seems the more he tries to make plays from the pocket the more he makes mistakes and throws interceptions, which is why our offense operates in a limited fashion. Teams are not gonna be as fooled by our play designs next season, if Kaep doesn't come ready we are going to struggle mightily on offense.
[ Edited by ninerhippy on Jan 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think both coordinators are at fault. Roman for being too damn conservative when we have the lead, and Fangio for playing prevent defense when we have a lead. I would love to see more ruthless aggression on both sides of the ball. 2014 may be the last time the 9ers have a legitimate shot of winning it all.

Couldn't agree more. When we have leads, I'd prefer the coordinators to continue to attack aggressively and keep their foot on the gas pedal until the game is obviously over. Instead, they go soft, get unnecessarily ultra conservative, and play not to lose instead of playing to win.

I'd like to see more aggressiveness on both sides of the ball next year as well and with competition within the division increasing - Seattle being a pain, Cards & Rams will improve, both are a good franchise QB away from being dangerous teams - I don't think we have much of a choice if we want a shot at winning it all next year.