LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

3 & 22 and 4 & 7

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The ball was thrown where only two individuals could have caught the ball, and both were Seahawks. 49'ers were completely blocked out of the play. The defenders are on the outside of where the ball was delivered. You cannot make a play in the end zone from behind the receiver unless the ball is really under thrown, because if you notice this ball was slightly under thrown and Rogers still couldn't do anything about it . This might be okay in the open field as tight coverage, but in the end zone it's blown coverage. The receivers did not simply outrun the defense, the play was planned and they probably even targeted Rogers as they were only bringing him in as a 4th defender due to injury.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Aldon should not have given up on the play
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
4 and 7 bothers me the most, I don't care about the offside because its still would've been 4 and 2 and if they do convert that its still doesn't automatically mean they'll score a TD, worst case would've been 3 points. Carlos Rogers! damn that guy sucks, He wont be with the team because he made it clear he doesn't want to take less money.

The 4th and 2 is not relevant. The offsides gives the quarterback an opportunity to take a shot, if it's intercepted, who cares? If its a touchdown, you've just changed the game. The free play is what allows you to throw a tight ball into coverage like that.

Didn't think of that. Wilson threw caution to the wind knowing there's no risk to going for a Favre-style gunslinger pass so he was more aggressive with no fear of repercussion.
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Aldon should not have given up on the play

Yeah, when two guys completely stop rushing at the line you know something is about to happen.
Rogers was not in terrible position. The problem is that he had no help over the top there. I, for the life of me, cant figure out why Reid and Whitner are so behind their guys. The rule as a safety is "Deeper than the deepest man". Rogers was deeper than both of them. If there is a safety over the top, Wilson probably hangs his receiver out to dry for a big hit and incompletion...

....and the refs would throw a personal foul penalty in that case...
Then Rodgers was playing to tackle him in the end zone? It would still be a touchdown. He needed to prevent the completion of the pass. He was also targeted because they knew he couldn't keep up. He was only entering the game with 4 receiver sets
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Rogers was not in terrible position. The problem is that he had no help over the top there. I, for the life of me, cant figure out why Reid and Whitner are so behind their guys. The rule as a safety is "Deeper than the deepest man". Rogers was deeper than both of them. If there is a safety over the top, Wilson probably hangs his receiver out to dry for a big hit and incompletion...

....and the refs would throw a personal foul penalty in that case...

So true!
It was Rodgers' play to make. He was on his man. He even had his hand up there by the ball. He simply failed to bat the ball away. He had to make that play and he didn't make the play. There were a few mistakes on that play, the first being that the D line simply stopped and let Wilson just stand there and deliver the ball under no pressure.
Share 49ersWebzone