There are 200 users in the forums

3 & 22 and 4 & 7

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, first I'm not dwelling on the past but I wanted to point out these 2 plays because I feel it has been over looked. I was so pumped after they FINALLY called the intentional gounding seemed like they didn't want to call it as clear as it was. On 3rd & 22 we give up the 15 yard completion to their TE. I remember yelling tackle him as it seemed like Miller ran forever. On 4th $ 7 They take the kicker off the field instead of attempting a 53 yarder. Seattle is probably just trying to get a first down, Smith jumps off sides which gives Wilson the ability for force a throw into good coverage and it's one of his best throws for a TD. Sorry to point this out but I just feel like people of forgetting what happened on these 2 plays. Total change the rest of the game. We force a punt or even a FG and I think the rest of the 4th quarter is played differently.
It's true...why did we start Rogers when the group we had prior looked great. You don't mess with momentum. Rogers was in good position and literally watched the ball all the way into the catch. Terrible. He even had plenty of time to pick it off and was actually in better position for the INT than giving up the TD. Well played by them.
Originally posted by Niners6262:
Ok, first I'm not dwelling on the past but I wanted to point out these 2 plays because I feel it has been over looked. I was so pumped after they FINALLY called the intentional gounding seemed like they didn't want to call it as clear as it was. On 3rd & 22 we give up the 15 yard completion to their TE. I remember yelling tackle him as it seemed like Miller ran forever. On 4th $ 7 They take the kicker off the field instead of attempting a 53 yarder. Seattle is probably just trying to get a first down, Smith jumps off sides which gives Wilson the ability for force a throw into good coverage and it's one of his best throws for a TD. Sorry to point this out but I just feel like people of forgetting what happened on these 2 plays. Total change the rest of the game. We force a punt or even a FG and I think the rest of the 4th quarter is played differently.

this is the turning point

pathetic that luke wilson got 15yds to make them think 2x and go for it on 4th down.

harbaugh got out coached......u gotta remind every player no off-sides on this play when its 4th and 7...the worst is ray mcdonald and aldon both basically stopped and stood around after the off-sides

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
To me giving up 15 yards to Luke Wilson meant nothing. Who cares. That's the bend-don't-break defense. Don't allow them to pick up the first down, but concede any catches well short of the first down. 95% of the time we would've seen a long field goal attempt by Seattle (no gimme, considering Hauschka isn't know for his leg strength) or a punt. Carroll just decided to be aggressive, and the offsides hurt dearly because he gave them literally a free play.

Speaking of painful fourth downs, how about the last Seattle play before half time? For the first time in god knows how long, we had all three timeouts left and about 25 seconds left in the clock. Seattle failed to convert on 4th down, and we were about to take possession at around the 40-yard line. However, instead of getting a chance to move into field goal range, we get that bogus unsportsmanlike on Rogers that essentially ends the half. That was a joke call, and an impactful one. That one pissed me off more than the Kearse touchdown play, because Carroll took a gamble on 4th down but then faced no consequences because the refs bailed him out on the call on Rogers. Not saying anything is rigged, just an extremely fortunate sequence of events for Seattle.

EDIT: just occurred to me that Rogers was the villain on both plays. Ouch. Awful game by him. Too bad he didn't start hurt.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM ]
4 and 7 bothers me the most, I don't care about the offside because its still would've been 4 and 2 and if they do convert that its still doesn't automatically mean they'll score a TD, worst case would've been 3 points. Carlos Rogers! damn that guy sucks, He wont be with the team because he made it clear he doesn't want to take less money.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
4 and 7 bothers me the most, I don't care about the offside because its still would've been 4 and 2 and if they do convert that its still doesn't automatically mean they'll score a TD, worst case would've been 3 points. Carlos Rogers! damn that guy sucks, He wont be with the team because he made it clear he doesn't want to take less money.

The offsides was huge in my opinion (maybe not the 5 yards) because it gave Wilson a free play. I doubt Wilson throws that ball in the endzone into that type of cover wihtout the penalty.
Originally posted by iLL49er:

pathetic that luke wilson got 15yds to make them think 2x and go for it on 4th down.

harbaugh got out coached......u gotta remind every player no off-sides on this play when its 4th and 7...the worst is ray mcdonald and aldon both basically stopped and stood around after the off-sides

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not sure you can say someone got out coached because a player jumps offsides. The coaches could have repetedly told them not to jump so may have just been a mental error on Smith.

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not sure you can say someone got out coached because a player jumps offsides. The coaches could have repetedly told them not to jump so may have just been a mental error on Smith.

they also didn't look prepared for all jets go or whatever play seattle ran

from what i read seattle likes to run that play on free plays...we should've been prepped for that

maybe they were and players didn't execute whatever the case

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

they also didn't look prepared for all jets go or whatever play seattle ran

from what i read seattle likes to run that play on free plays...we should've been prepped for that

maybe they were and players didn't execute whatever the case

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
That makes no sense. How do you prep for a play not knowing that a player on your team is going to be offsides? How does Seattle possibly know that Aldon was gonna jump? They were running that play regardless of the penalty not b/c of it.

The thing is, when you have a team in 4th and 22, your goal is to
1. stop them short of 1st down, and not commit a penalty
2. depending on field position, force them into a FG, hopefully a long one.

So the defence played it fine. We forced them into a long FG, and their kicker admittingly said he didnt want to kick it. Perfect. Predicting in a 3pt game or whatever it was at the time that Seattle would gamble on 4th and 7, we would jump offsides, and they would throw it not 7yds but into the endzone around 30+yds down field is just a bad break.

We had a chance to win with the ball at the end and didnt pull through. Thats all you can ask for on the road in the NFC Championship game. especially @ seattle. Thats 2 years we ended the season going to crabtree. I like the times we go to V. Davis at the end (Saints game). he can pull through.
We got out coached plain and simple, no reason for your team to be in a base defense hugging the LOS on a fourth and seven. Especially when your guys having been jumping offsides ALL GAME LONG. Jim has to notice this and put them in a prevent defense, which would have threw Wilson and off. That play opened the flood gates... smh.
For me, this was the SEQUENCE that LOST us the Game. I blame this sequence of 2 plays more then I do Kaps 2 picks. 49ers had the lead 17-13 and 3rd & 22 beginning of the 4th Q. All they gotta do is BULL Rush 4 Guys and tackle Miller right away, Pete Caroll would not have went for it on say 4th & 10 or more. And for the Life of Me , why was Rogers even in the game. That broke our Backs. It gave Seattle their 1st lead of the whole game. I'm convinced if we had stopped that 3rd & 22 play for 10 or less yards, We would have found a way to win this game.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
For me, this was the SEQUENCE that LOST us the Game. I blame this sequence of 2 plays more then I do Kaps 2 picks. 49ers had the lead 17-13 and 3rd & 22 beginning of the 4th Q. All they gotta do is BULL Rush 4 Guys and tackle Miller right away, Pete Caroll would not have went for it on say 4th & 10 or more. And for the Life of Me , why was Rogers even in the game. That broke our Backs. It gave Seattle their 1st lead of the whole game. I'm convinced if we had stopped that 3rd & 22 play for 10 or less yards, We would have found a way to win this game.

Agree with you Elephant

It hasn't been overlooked, at least not by myself and quite a few others on here who have stated those two plays--regardless that the Niners still had a shot on the final drive--were they key turning point for the Seahawks and their idiot fans. And you're right that it's not just the 4th & 7...to give up 15 on 3rd & 22 was borderline criminal. Sure you're going to play a little soft, but not THAT soft.

From that part of the field, FangBaugh had to know Carroll going for it on 4th was a very real possibility...why? Because HE ALREADY HAD on a 4th & 6 from almost same spot on the field. So if they suck up just a little tighter to cover the underneath stuff, maybe they only give up 8-10 yards....now not as likely that he goes for a 4th/10+ from the 40-42 yd line, and if he does, it's 12+ yards to go, so you can still play it with a little cushion.

But 4th & 7, now you have to play it more straight up, not much room for error, and we know what happened. Rogers actually had decent coverage but that was a terrible pass breakup attempt he made, basically just a feeble wave of his arm...but besides that, you had A. Smith jump offsides which was bad enough because now it's everyone on automatic go routes with the free play, but then for him to just stand there and not realize there's still a play going on just compounded his mistake.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone