There are 185 users in the forums

NFCCG Mic'd up: Crabtree & Sherman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Lolwat? There was no sportsmanship to the hand shake. If Crabs had caught that TD and ran down Sherman as he was walking off the field to shake his hand you think it would be a show of good sportsmanship? Hell no it was part of the celebration and that is the problem.

If that's what you think I'm not gonna try to change your opinion.

I do think it was a dick move to do it right after the game ending play, and fully expected whatever Sherman said to Crabtree to be completely sarcastic, but it sounded genuine to me and would've been fine with it had it happened after the last kneel down.

I'm sure if we heard full game sounds between the two from all the past games they've played against eachother, we'd hear both of them saying much worse than what we've heard from Sherman thus far.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
I keep seeing this and do not understand it at all. When did it become okay for people to conduct themselves with no common decency, especially prominent athletes who become role models for kids? It's chickens**t to refuse to hold someone to a standard of conduct simply because he is on your favorite sports team. I hated VD's antics when he first entered the league and didn't respect him as a result. Love the guy now.

Role Model for kids? I don't think any NFL player other than maybe a select few should be a role model for anybody. These people are just regular people that happen to be very skillful in one of the most popular games in America, and looking up to these players, especially a lot of players in todays nfl, is not something that should be happening. Only a select few should really be role models, because I'm sure over half of these players in their free time are in the club, getting with multiple women, and quite a bit of them are probably doing all kinds of drugs. 2/3's of that is fine, you're young, go have fun and live your life. But I don't think they should be expected to role model children.

Sherman does whatever he thinks it takes to get his team to the SB, which is what he did. He is an a*****e and one that will be seen on a SB team, and probably a leader in that locker room. He knows how to push peoples buttons and get under peoples skin, I can tell he does it to get an advantage, the man is probably one of the smartest men in the nfl who acts stupid to get under peoples skin.
[ Edited by Kaep4MVP on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Kaep4MVP:
I keep seeing this and do not understand it at all. When did it become okay for people to conduct themselves with no common decency, especially prominent athletes who become role models for kids? It's chickens**t to refuse to hold someone to a standard of conduct simply because he is on your favorite sports team. I hated VD's antics when he first entered the league and didn't respect him as a result. Love the guy now.

Role Model for kids? I don't think any NFL player other than maybe a select few should be a role model for anybody. These people are just regular people that happen to be very skillful in one of the most popular games in America, and looking up to these players, especially a lot of players in todays nfl, is not something that should be happening. Only a select few should really be role models, because I'm sure over half of these players in their free time are in the club, getting with multiple women, and quite a bit of them are probably doing all kinds of drugs. 2/3's of that is fine, you're young, go have fun and live your life. But I don't think they should be expected to role model children.

Sherman does whatever he thinks it takes to get his team to the SB, which is what he did. He is an a*****e and one that will be seen on a SB team, and probably a leader in that locker room. He knows how to push peoples buttons and get under peoples skin, I can tell he does it to get an advantage, the man is probably one of the smartest men in the nfl who acts stupid to get under peoples skin.

It would be great if everyone looked up to meritorious role models (like Harbaugh's crush on Churchill). However, that's not how the world works. Kids do, in fact, look up to high-profile, professional athletes, regardless of their shortcomings. I'm not criticizing Sherman's on-field jawing. I'm criticizing his immaturity off the field. No one should be encouraging or emulating that trash.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Lolwat? There was no sportsmanship to the hand shake. If Crabs had caught that TD and ran down Sherman as he was walking off the field to shake his hand you think it would be a show of good sportsmanship? Hell no it was part of the celebration and that is the problem.

If that's what you think I'm not gonna try to change your opinion.

I do think it was a dick move to do it right after the game ending play, and fully expected whatever Sherman said to Crabtree to be completely sarcastic, but it sounded genuine to me and would've been fine with it had it happened after the last kneel down.

I'm sure if we heard full game sounds between the two from all the past games they've played against eachother, we'd hear both of them saying much worse than what we've heard from Sherman thus far.

Awe poor Dick getting punched and slapped at. I wonder why the poor guy is so misunderstood? All he wants to do is say "good game", funny how such a nice guy like that can be so misunderstood by everybody.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM ]

Humility used to be seen as a sign of strength. We respected that guy who was great, knew he was great, and didn't say a single word about it. Because he lets his actions do the talking. He leads by example.

Now it's a sign of weakness, replaced by self-worship and big egos. People that have to constantly boast about their superiority. These are the guys we pay attention to and praise for their "confidence". Sounds like conceited and insecure to me.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM ]
It would be great if everyone looked up to meritorious role models (like Harbaugh's crush on Churchill). However, that's not how the world works. Kids do, in fact, look up to high-profile, professional athletes, regardless of their shortcomings. I'm not criticizing Sherman's on-field jawing. I'm criticizing his immaturity off the field. No one should be encouraging or emulating that trash.

I can agree with that, he could definitely calm the hell down off the field and once he matures he'll realize some of the stupid s**t he did. But I can't just act like all of our players are all completely innocent, I'm sure every team has multiple people like Sherman and a lot of players are probably worse. Sherman just happens to be on a high profile, SB contending team who got a bunch of camera's shoved in his face and spoke what he thought. He'll learn to shut the hell up eventually and deflect every question in the media when he grows up.

While I do think Sherman is immature and an a*****e, I do think there is truth in if he were wearing Scarlet and Gold there would be a lot of fans switching their opinions on this. And maybe I'm not a die hard fan because I won't judge every player a certain way just because of the color of their jersey, but that's just how I feel.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Again, Sherman is devious. He knows that's not the right time to do it. He wants that reaction from Crabtree. You don't run up to a guy, smack his ass, then stick your hand out screaming "Hell of a game! Hell of a game!", right after the play that lost us the game. You wait until the clock hits :00, everybody meets at midfield, then have a well-mannered hand shake.

What happen during the Lions game when Harbaugh was a bit too excited? They almost got into a fist fight, and these are coaches. They werent even out there pushing people around like Crabtree and Sherman were.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Awe poor Dick getting punched and slapped at. I wonder why the poor guy is so misunderstood? All he wants to do is say "good game", funny how such a nice guy like that can be so misunderstood by everybody.

alright. Not what I said, but if you want to interpret it that way that's fine.
Originally posted by THEB:
What happen during the Lions game when Harbaugh was a bit too excited? They almost got into a fist fight, and these are coaches. They werent even out there pushing people around like Crabtree and Sherman were.

Don't bring that up, because "that's different." When in reality the only thing that's different is that Harbaugh is the 49ers coach. You better bet damn well that if it was Carroll coming up to Harbaugh after the game and did the same thing Harbaugh did to Schwartz, and Harbaugh reacted the same way Schwartz did, you'd better bet damn well this forum would be up in arms on how Carroll is a POS and shouldn't be a head coach in this league.

lol true. I put that entire situation on Harbaugh. I just think the proper way to do it, the way it's been done for decades, is to calmly approach your opponent after the game and shake his hand. No running up from behind and slapping his ass. No jumping in his face yelling "Great game!, Great game!"

Be an adult, shake his hand, congratulate each other, and move on. These guys are prancing around like 12 year olds.

Don't bring that up, because "that's different." When in reality the only thing that's different is that Harbaugh is the 49ers coach. You better bet damn well that if it was Carroll coming up to Harbaugh after the game and did the same thing Harbaugh did to Schwartz, and Harbaugh reacted the same way Schwartz did, you'd better bet damn well this forum would be up in arms on how Carroll is a POS and shouldn't be a head coach in this league.

Man...you and I are just cut from different cloth. No offense, but I completely disagree with your perspective on that. Harbaugh was not being a poor sport; he gave an excited handshake. Schwartz reacted like a complete tool. I would be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and Harbaugh was running across the field trying to fight a guy who gave him a solid handshake. That's just weak.

Sherman was being a poor sport. No way around it, no matter how hard you try to rationalize it or how good he is on the field. We need to stop promoting that s**t.
Man...you and I are just cut from different cloth. No offense, but I completely disagree with your perspective on that. Harbaugh was not being a poor sport; he gave an excited handshake. Schwartz reacted like a complete tool. I would be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and Harbaugh was running across the field trying to fight a guy who gave him a solid handshake. That's just weak.

Sherman was being a poor sport. No way around it, no matter how hard you try to rationalize it or how good he is on the field. We need to stop promoting that s**t.

I never said I agreed with what Schwartz did, and that's great that you don't let your team's colors blind you on your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that you and I would be 2 of 10 people getting bashed on this forum for having that opinion.

I'm not even trying to defend Sherman here, while I did say I don't think either of them were in the wrong in terms of the handshake and the way the handshake was reacted to, I do think Sherman was in the wrong of when he offered it. I think it was a very euphoric moment for him and let it get out of hand (especially in the interview, where he looked straight up stupid) and once he grows up he'll learn to control doing that kind of thing.

If he would've done it after the kneel downs I still don't think this would be a story.
I never said I agreed with what Schwartz did, and that's great that you don't let your team's colors blind you on your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that you and I would be 2 of 10 people getting bashed on this forum for having that opinion.

Haha fair enough. I could not care less if other SF "fans" got on me for being objective about the conduct of the players or coaching staff. Maybe a few would follow the example...or maybe not.

I know where you are trying to go, but you're not going to get there.

Schwartz was LAUGHING at Harbaugh for making a dumb call during the game. Harbaugh was trying to review a play that he could not review, and Schwartz was screaming, "HA HA, know the rules! Ha ha." I'm sure Harbaugh either saw it or heard about it later, which led to the obviously disingenuous handshake.

Schwartz was being a dick to him FIRST, and yes, Harbaugh was immature for responding in kind.

Sherman is on a whole other level. His stuff in unprovoked, and he does it constantly. And this isn't about simple "trash talk", this is about being snide and devious with his words and fake "manners" after a game.
And its not just limited to athletes and coaches, he takes it to the media, gets personal and nasty with them as well, saying he's "better at life" than other people etc.
Dude is a f---ing punk.

Hard to f**king watch.

I would have done the exact same thing.
Share 49ersWebzone